Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well, good old wolfie is pushin on 6 years old now, and she's showing her age. i'm afraid her volume pot and input are shot. i've opened her up and checked everything out, the wiring all appears fine, no loose connections or frayed wires, so i think the units themselves are bad. i'm a bit nervous because i've never done either proceedure. pickups i can handle, but i'm a bit apprehensive about these. anybody have any suggestions or just able to tell me what not to do. or maybe some suggestions of what i could do to make her sound even better while i'm poking around in there. 'preciate the help fellas.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By "input", do you mean the input jack, as in you get no sound when you plug it in or do you mean the toggle switch?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yeah the input jack

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sounds like you've been in there before if you have no problem with pickups. You should be fine to test the pots and switches.
    It's pretty rare to have an input jack go bad.
    Since both pickups have to go through the toggle switch before going to the jack I'd suspect that first. There's only 2 wires on the input jack and a small lip to catch the hot tip of the cord, and as long as they're all well conected and tight the jack shouldn't be a factor. Does the cord snap in tightly, and if you try and move the guitar jack back and forth does it it crackle or is it just dead, no sound?
    Undo the screws at the jack plate, and pull the jack out by the jack plate, making sure the wires are properly connected from the jack to the pot as well. If you have an ohm meter use it to make sure you have a good reading at the connection points.
    First make sure your volume and tone pot are turned fully to the right.
    Plug a guitar chord into the guitar and leave the other end of the chord open. With out touching it with your hand(so you don't get a false reading) take an ohm reading across the hot(tip) and ground of the chord's guitar jack and use your toggle switch. In the neck position you should get 1 reading and the bridge position should give you another. In the middle position you should get a parallel reading of the two pickups, somewhere about half the ohm reading they gave you seperately.
    If that's ok, then take another reading, this time turning down the volume pot slowly, and see if the values change smoothly.
    If you can use a soldering iron, volume pots are no problem to replace. You can get a new one from peavey or just get a good quality 500K ohm pot.
    If you have an ohm meter check to make sure it actually measures out at 500K ohms before installing it.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

baluchitherium
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

my problem with the input jack is almost the opposite of what you described. the more i move it around the better the connection i get, especially if i'm still holding onto the cable. as soon as i let go, it goes to shit. and as far as the volume pot goes, if i adjust it or bump it while playing the tone goes all muddy, i then have to wiggle the knob (not turning it) to get tone back. i'll take a look at the toggle switch like you suggested and see how that is

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

If you open it up and take a look at it (I'm not familiar with the wolfie specifically but most jacks are like this.) there is a ......prong that the where the tip will touch the end of the male phone jack. If it is bent too far away and not making a good connection you should be able to bend it back with your finger..... easy fix!
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"