Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I got a some red finger dye on my hands and it takes a few days to come off. Can I still play my guitar?? It won't rub off on the neck or anything will it??

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It MAY rub off, but there's some preventitive maintenance you can do. First, and most obviously, give your hands a scrub worthy of a surgeon in pre-op. Then, break out the Turtle Wax, and give the back of your neck 2 good coats. There are many 'experts' who say NEVER to use car wax, but these are the same guys who sell guitar polishes. This way, if some of the dye comes off, the wax will catch it, and it shouldn't stain the wood.

The other option is to play someone else'e guitar! ("gee, uh, I don't know how THAT got on there. I think it was there before I started playing it....")

Good luck buddy!

By the way, were you dying Easter eggs a little LATE this year or somethin'?

[This message has been edited by AbeVanHalen (edited August 25, 2000 at 03:03 PM).]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nope Science experiment. I'm a little nervous about putting Turtle wax on my Wolfie also. Thanks though

------------------

E.B.A.S

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfie, DON'T WORRY about the Turtle Wax. Aside from teaching at a store, I do LOTS of repairs--the owner 'trained' me. MANY TIMES, I have been handed a vintage Gibson or Gretsch, literally worth 5 figures, and the best option is Turtle Wax. But use the liquid stuff, not the paste; it's a little gentler. If he's willing to put car wax on a VERY EXPENSIVE instrument, you should have no fear. Trust me-I wouldn't tell you something that would screw up your guitar, ESPECIALLY not a Wolfgang. And if you DO try it, and it does some major damage, I'll replace it for you. Now THERE'S a guarantee! Of course, I'd get your old one though, right??? Believe me, it's just wax, and if you look at the ingredients in a guitar polish, THAT'S wax, too.

Remember Mr. Myagi:

"Wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off, right a-circle, left a-circle, breathe in, breathe out..."

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

LOL. It wasn't that I didn't trust you I was just nervous about doing it!! Well most of the dye came off in that "scrub down of my life"! So I should be ok. Thanks for the help. What kind of axe do you carry around Abe??

------------------

E.B.A.S

[This message has been edited by Unchained Wolfie (edited August 25, 2000 at 03:33 PM).]

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfie, if you haven't seen it pop up in other threads, my main guitars are, (get this) SQUIRE Pro-Tone Strats! I have 3 of them. They have solid ash bodies, not laminated cardboard or anything. I HAVE replaced the electronics-I use Texas Specials or Vintage Noiseless pickups, I have shielded the body cavities, I do little modifications to the volume knobs (they don't lose high end when you turn them down, and the taper is almost LINEAR--very smooth changes in volume), the middle tone knob I have turned into a passive MIDRANGE CUT knob--GREAT for clean sounds (almost acoustic at times) or for making a lead really sing. I also replace the capacitor on the tone knob to about a 20 mfd--it makes the knob usable; it isn't nearly as drastic-it just takes off a little bite for more warmth. I usually change the nuts from plastic to that faux-bone material (micarta), and I have String Saver saddles on one of them; even though I don't break strings, they improve sustain and tone a bit. With all of this, each of my Strats cost me about $300!!! And they play and sound as good as the $1100 American Deluxe series!

On top of that, I have 2 Kramers, a Hamer (which I use for my guitar synth), a hollowbody 'wall-hanger', and the acoustic I teach with. Oh, and a cheap bass, too.

I always wanted the EB/MM EVH, but couldn't spend that much $$ on one guitar. But you're what, 14...15? And you already have a Wolfgang? You must be spoiled! At 15, I had a piece of junk Peavey guitar that I totally messed up. I guess you'll have high standards forever. You are very fortunate-there are many kids out there who would KILL for a guitar, but they can't afford them, so treasure what you have. And remember, no matter HOW AWFUL a piece of junk guitar is, NEVER, EVER smash it on stage--it's bad guitar-karma! It will haunt you forever, knowing that some kid out there could have gotten good use out of it. Anyway...I hope you enjoyed your scrub. Do you have any skin left???

Eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

vinegar is great for getting out bad stains and stuff. try it out on your hand. if not then scrub it like hell with soap.

------------------
    *Might As Well Go For A Soda!* - Kim Mitchell '84

http://surf.to/atomicpunk

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Abe. Actually I'm not that spoiled. I saved up for a long time before I could afford that guitar. It all came out of my own money!!

------------------

E.B.A.S

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OOPS--Wolfie, I wasn't implying that you were spoiled in the sense that mommy and daddy were feeding you with a silver spoon and wiping your bottom, I meant it in the way that you're just a youngen' who is already used to such high quality standards in guitars. Hope I didn't give the wrong impression!

Also, it's REFRESHING that someone your age is actually SERIOUS about the guitar--I wish more of my students shared your zeal! I wish you the best of luck with it.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks alot Abe!! Well I have the right influence. Eddie!!!

BTW I wasn't taking offense to you saying I was spoiled or anything. I knew you were joking around.

------------------

E.B.A.S

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wolfie, just play the friggin thing. A little color will give it character..lol

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

LOL. Yeah i got an ivory one!

------------------

E.B.A.S