Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 07:17 AM
    Liked 724 Times in 341 Posts

Well, I found one at Elmore's Musical Warehouse in Peoria. What can I say? My initial assumptions were correct. Let me run down the list of differences:

1. The Floyd Rose bridge is "textured" as opposed to polished, and does not appear to be as good a quality.

2. The tremolo arm screws onto a threaded piece that protrudes from the bridge.(could be considered an improvement)

3. The 3 way toggle switch mounting was sloppy. The washer under the nut was off center, and the switch looked cheap.

4. The string retaining bar is very different from the original. It is more round and generally cheap looking.

5. The neck has the same dimensions, and plays okay, but it has a wierd "manufactured" quality to it that just looks different. Kind of like the difference between the looks of an OLP neck versus an Axis neck. By the way, it has Grover tuners.

6. The general appearance of the guitar shows a lack of attention to detail. For example:
    A) The trademark scoop in the headstock seems inconsistent.
    B) The masking job for the "binding" is sloppy, with overspray evident.
    C) The quilt maple used for the top is good, but it is not bookmatched.

Now for the bottom line: price $799.00
    Obviously, that is what the dealer is asking, and will probably sell for less. Now, when you walk in and see a Wolfgang Special hanging right next to that marked at $819.00 that was made in America, what would you pick? The difference in quality is obvious from the hardware down to the finish. I did not notice a difference in the pickups, but the overall feel of the setup was not as good as other Wolfgangs I have played, but I may not be entirely objective since I went in expecting it to not be good. I'm just trying to give you my perceptions of it.
    After everything I have just read about Eddie and his copyright crap, and his new move to Korea with this cheap Wolfgang, one can only come to the conclusion that it's all about the money for him. That is exactly what Dave said back in '86. Say what you want about Dave, but he is the one still pumping out new music, whether you think it's good or not. Dave is for the fans, Eddie is for the money, and that is painful for me to say!!
    In conclusion about the Wolfgang, here is my advice: Ernie Ball makes a fine quality instrument.
    "Having an opinion that people disagree with doesn't make you a Douche, arguing with the people who disagree with your opinion and calling them stupid does!" -Me.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wow, thanks for the review. I wasn't aware that the guitar had been released yet. They wanted retail price for it?? I ASSUMED that the ridiculous $799 MSRP meant that it'd sell for around $499. Did the guitar have EVH's signature on it? Like you, I can't imagine someone paying that much when you can get a USA made special for that price. Hell if you look around hard enough, you can find a Standard used for $800.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the review nobozos. I didn't think it would be anywhere close to the real thing.
    I know you've been around the block enough to be able to tell the difference.
    It sounds like it's basically a peice of quickly manufactured crap, but I'd be careful posting your review on the peavey site. Those guys over there will rip you a new asshole for saying anything negative about a wolfgang.

Last Online

There is no signature on the back of the headstock, but there is a neat little "made in Korea" sticker that is easily removed. Other than that, there isn't any difference in the design of the guitar, just inferior hardware and poor workmanship. The $799.00 price is just what Elmores is asking, I don't see them going much below that. In my opinion, the guitar would be a bargain at MSRP $499.00. BTW, all the brainwashed fuckheads at the Peavey forum are probably too young to remember the original Van Halen, and are too hung up on having something with his name on it. The only thing to say to them, and this will piss them off, is AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There is no signature on the back of the headstock, but there is a neat little "made in Korea" sticker that is easily removed. Other than that, there isn't any difference in the design of the guitar, just inferior hardware and poor workmanship.
    I think that says it all.

BTW, all the brainwashed fuckheads at the Peavey forum are probably too young to remember the original Van Halen, and are too hung up on having something with his name on it. The only thing to say to them, and this will piss them off, is AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS-AXIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t pick just one
    Last Online

08.20.08 @ 02:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Ernie Ball Axis is a damn fine slab of wood. While it's not my main guitar, and I don't know what difference there are between thw EVH model and the Axis, I enjoy the hell out of it. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Jim Bailes

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Wolfgang = Shit
    Korean Wolfgang = Shit Sandwich [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]
    Axis = Shark Sandwinch [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    EVH/MM = Philly Cheese steak Sandwich [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

If someone can tell me how to do it, I will try to post some pics of the new Wolf. Keep the thread alive for a couple days so I can get the digital camera down to the store and take a couple pics. I will also post pics of my Axis(it really is beautiful) as well as my former first lady, the Wolfgang Special Flametop.

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

anyone got a link to this Peavey/Wolfgang forum? i love to read the ramblings of idiots...
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by twonabomber:
    anyone got a link to this Peavey/Wolfgang forum? i love to read the ramblings of idiots...
    Well naturally longtime posters on the Peavey forum are gonna be overly 'pro-Peavey,' but the majority of them are not idiots. And I'd venture to guess that most of the folks on there are in there 30's-40's. I've been reading the forum and posting there for over three years now, and I've found a lot of good information there. In fact I had posted quite a few times there, so I guess I'm a rambling idiot too. However, I'm an open minded idiot, and I don't think that Peavey is a company that can do no wrong. Hell until the Wolfgang came out, I didn't even know they made guitars. I own some Wolfgangs and a 5150 Combo. I'm happy with them, but I in no way think they are the greatest product ever made.

From the beginning I thought the Korean Wolfgang was a bad idea. I'm sure will be seeing more reviews of the gutiar like the one above. I might consider one for $200 used, but hell no to paying $800 for one. I think in the long run, this guitar is going to worsen Peavey's shaky reputation. They seemed to be on a hot streak with the EVH guitar and amp series and then the Triple XXX amp, now we're back to 'guitars for beginners' except at prices most beginners can't afford. Who do they think is going to buy this guitar anyway? Of course I could be wrong. Watch it be Peaveys biggest seller yet. Who knows. OK my idiotic ramblings have come to an end.

T

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

balance
    Favorite VH Song

baluchitherium
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

when i first heard about the qt i have to say i was foolishly optimistic. the korean production perhaps bugged me the most but was something i could get over. i've desperately been looking for an amber or tobacco quilt top, but you could only get those as first run standards that were too pricey for me when they came out, and now they're impossible to find. so i opted for a first run special and was extremely happy with it. a combination of the special AND a quilt top and the supposed affordable price made it a veritable dream guitar. but for the quality problems mentioned here and the not so affordable price has severely changed my mind about it. none of the shops in the area or london for that matter have them yet so i've yet to see one, but for 800 US i think i'll pass no matter. i think peavey needs a wake up call, consumers these days arent that stupid

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I actually got a couple of emails from some of the regular posters on there. Trennasol will probably know who I mean.
    They had the balls to email me and ask me why I'm arguing about the quality of the Korean wolf.
    They haven't tried one either but refuse to take the opinion of someone who has and soesn't like them. One guy told me he has 16 peavey guitars, and they're all the best guitars on the fucking planet so I shouldn't say anything against peavey guitars.
    Fuck that.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can only think of about 2 Peavey guitars that I have ever "liked." However, overall I can't stand the damn things. I'll tell you what's funny, they have re-released the Adrian Vandenberg signature, but are calling it some other name...I forget what it was. Hell, I remember playing a pink one back in the 80's and thinking to myself..."thank God I have a Kramer." I must admit that I am very surprised that Peavey is making guitars in freakin' Korea, AND I can't believe Ed is allowing Wolfgangs to be produced over there, after the mouthing off he did about Kramer, years ago. Sure the Kramer Striker series sucked donkey balls, but the Focus series (which were made in Japan by ESP) weren't bad guitars. At least those had REAL Floyd's on them.

Amp wise I'm a little more forgiving of Peavey. I've owned several over the years, and never really had anything happen to one. One of my favorites was called the VTM120, and of course the 5150.
    Eat Us and Smile...yeah we're still around.

Roth Army Webmaster
    http://www.rotharmy.com

Last Online

Well Tribb, I guess balls are something that is in full supply at the Peavey forums. Roger Crimm, the guy that lit me up on the thread I started critisizing the Korean Wolf, is actually making an arguement that the wood of a guitar does not effect the tone that much. Try reading the "Flametop Special Tone" thread at the Peavey site. In summary, he says that the tone comes from the electronics, and is affected very little, if at all, from the wood the guitar is made from. I think my explanation was pretty good, but I still got an e-mail from Roger saying he still believes this. He sited some "scientific tests" where the guitar was hooked up to a frequency spectrum analyzer, or some shit. Whatever. That is the kind of thinking that gets guitars made out of plywood and shit. If that's what someone who works for Peavey thinks, God help us.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll say this as simply as I can.
    Roger Crimm is full of shit. He can take his electronic tester and shove it up his ass.
    For someone in his position to make a statement like that is so stupid it's not even funny.
    If that were the case then every wolf ever made, since all their pickups are wound to the exact same specs, would sound identical.
    Anyone who's played one knows that's nowhere near true.
    Every single wolf I've ever played sounds different.
    Pop a set of wolf pickups into a mahogany or ash body and see what it sounds like.
    Take a Les Paul, one of the best sounding guitars made. Do they all sound alike? No way. Take a set of wolf p/u's, pop them into a Paul and tell me if it still sounds like a wolfgang. Take those same p/u's from the paul and pop them into a wolf body and tell me if it sounds like a paul.
    Why use a maple top when you can use a veneer if there's no difference in sound.
    Ed himself said that he used a maple top for a brighter sound, so I guess he's saying Ed's full of shit too.
    When you're using basswood it's best to use a higher output pickup to make up for the fact that basswood isn't a good resonating tone wood compared to alder or ash or mahogany, or any other types of woods that have a unique and distinct tone.
    I guess the wolf custom shop is just a big farce they're trying to pull over on the public too then. What's the point in making a wolf out of ash or alder and putting on a rosewood board, and then charging 1000. or more, if it'll just sound the same as a regular wolf.
    It sounds like Crimm's just trying to make a case so they can sell as many of those Korean crappers as possible before the buying public smartens up.
    I used to believe that wood didn't play a part at one time, and went through pickup after pickup till a good luthier showed, and proved to me that you have to start at ground level with a good peice of wood, based on the tone you want to achieve, and then go to the p/u's from there.
    Does he think that people use a rosewood fingerboard instead of maple because it's a different color?
    We can go on banging our heads against a wall on this but it won't matter at the Peavey forum.
    They're like a bunch of pod people over there.
    Nice try Nobozos, but nothing you say will make one bit of difference.
    Sorry to ramble on about this but this is complete bullshit, coming from someone over there that shouldn't be misleading people like that.