Register
    Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I have a question. What is the thing that I saw on Ed`s mic facing him on the last tour. I have seen a similar do hicky on the mic stand belonging to the black chick that plays guitar on letterman. I am a seasoned player but I have asked around where I live ( houston ) and no one seems to know what I am referring to.

Any help would be appreciated

Mookie

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K
    Favorite VH Song

all
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hmm... ive never noticed that... maybe you can post some pics? but i think its a note stand or something... or maybe an talkbox?

[ February 25, 2003, 09:34 AM: Message edited by: gravedigger ]
    "Who are you tryin' to get crazy with, ese? Don't you know I'm loco?" - Hansel, Zoolander. <br /><br />"You're talking loco and I like it!" - Hansel, Zoolander.<br /><br />"Sting. Sting would be another person who's a hero. The music he's created over the years, I don't really listen to it, but the fact that he's making it, I respect that."<br />Hansel, Zoolander

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I've wondered that before too. They had them on the mic stands during the balance tour as well. The only thing I could come up with is maybe a tuner that might be a visual help for when they're singing harmonies.

It wasn't a talkbox.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I believe what you're referring to was a sensor that Ed had on his mic stand. It would basically turn the mic on when he approached it to sing and turn it off when he moved away from the stand, avoiding feedback and other sound problems.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    I believe what you're referring to was a sensor that Ed had on his mic stand. It would basically turn the mic on when he approached it to sing and turn it off when he moved away from the stand, avoiding feedback and other sound problems.
    That would be cool. Ever used one? Know anything else about 'em? [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of em
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.26.17 @ 01:53 PM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    [QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by tribb:
    [qb] I believe what you're referring to was a sensor that Ed had on his mic stand. It would basically turn the mic on when he approached it to sing and turn it off when he moved away from the stand, avoiding feedback and other sound problems.

This would make sense. I wonder who manufactures them. I subscribe to a few pro audio trade rags and I have yet to come across somthing like this.

Thanks again.

Mook

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can use a motion detector device like the ones you get at hardware stores to turn lights off and on when someone approaches your door.
    You can adjust the detector for a short beam to respond when you're really close. You usually plug a light into it and it turns the power on and off. For a mic application you just plug a relay into it that is electrically powered but only connects 2 or 3 points so there's no electrical signal running through the relay itself. Very Important. You don't want current going through the relay, only to the relay.
    Then you fashion a mic cable that connects when the relay is given power from the detector. The relay points close and the mic is on. When you step away power is cut from the relay and the points open shutting off the signal to the mic.
    The only problem is to fashion a mic cable that isn't affected by the electrical noise of the current. You could make a small filter box to plug both ends of the cable into and use the relay as an on/off switch.
    I can't imagine needing one unless you're dealing with very high volumes that might be bleeding into the pa.
    I imagine Ed had some help with it.

I should add again, "DON'T" plug any kind of a mic cable into the ac plug of a motion detector.
    It's not only stupid, but extremely dangerous.
    The ac from the motion detector is "only" to power on and off a relay, which acts as a switch.
    You should have at least a basic understanding of electronics before trying it.
    I don't want anyone getting fried trying this. Please don't attempt it unless you know what you're doing.

[ February 25, 2003, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the Grateful Dead used something similar to that. they had pressure-sensitive pads in front of the mic stands. when they stepped on the pad, the mic opened, when they stepped back, it went off. from what i remember, one of their techs came up with the idea.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10