Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homeunit, Tribb, Rol, etc. -
    I'm a drummer who likes to play guitar a little just for kicks. My playing sucks and my equipment sucks (Mexican Strat and Quantum practice amp - anybody ever hear of Quantum?). My playing isn't likely to improve much, but I was thinking about inexpensively improving my equipment. My thought was to replace the stock bridge pickup, nut and tuners with a SD Hot Rails bridge pickup, Fender roller nut and Shaller locking tuners for about $150. My questions are 1) will the Hot Rails get me closer to an EVH-type tone (not exact - just ballpark), 2) will the nut/tuners combo allow me to use the tremolo without immediately going out of tune and 3) are any parts that I would need that I didn't mention?
    Thanks guys
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

The tuners and p/u is a good idea, it your nut that you have to think about

I've always found the nut to be the biggest culprate with regards to the tremelo bar and tuning. The roller nut will work, I'd give it try. If you still have tuning problems I'd go for a graphite nut, (which wear out a little quickly), or a good quality nut and then buy some graphite to lube it up.

I've only used the roller nut on guitars that I've tried, so my experience is limited. Tribb has lots of experience with different nuts, so we'll wait and see how he says you should treat your nut
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since I appear to be the first one reading this I'll take first shot.
    As far as EVH type tone, a big part of it your amp, and a quantum amp just won't do it. You might want to invest in some type of high gain pedal. That would be a start.
    Instead of a hotrail in the bridge try a Seymour Duncan JB Junior in the bridge. It will just fit in as a replacement for the stock pickup you have and will get closer to the tone you describe.
    Also, make sure that your trem springs in the back are tight enough that the bridge doesn't float. It should rest on the body, and just move in one direction when using the trem bar. That will help with tuning and the tone. A wilkinson roller nut will help as well. Any locking tuner will work well, but if the strings are properly wrapped around the post a standard tuning peg will do pretty well too.
    Again, if you're going to keep the amp then get a decent high gain distortion pedal.

I thought I was the first one reading this, but I guess not. I'm not sure I liked the way you put that Homey. [img]graemlins/irked.gif[/img]

[ June 17, 2002, 10:38 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Well you know your nuts like nobody else Tribb [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

My suggestion would be to sell the Strat and go buy an Ibanez or a Jackson. You can get good guitars fairly cheap, brand new off the shelf. If you add the money you would get for your guitar plus the money for the upgrades, you should get a pretty decent guitar with a Floyd, Humbuckers and the works.
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by P1:
    Homeunit, Tribb, Rol, etc. -
    I'm a drummer who likes to play guitar a little just for kicks. My playing sucks and my equipment sucks (Mexican Strat and Quantum practice amp - anybody ever hear of Quantum?). My playing isn't likely to improve much, but I was thinking about inexpensively improving my equipment. My thought was to replace the stock bridge pickup, nut and tuners with a SD Hot Rails bridge pickup, Fender roller nut and Shaller locking tuners for about $150. My questions are 1) will the Hot Rails get me closer to an EVH-type tone (not exact - just ballpark), 2) will the nut/tuners combo allow me to use the tremolo without immediately going out of tune and 3) are any parts that I would need that I didn't mention?
    Thanks guys
    Honestly I really can't add anything that hasn't been covered by my cohorts, other than instead of graphite you might try a little 3 in 1 oil *very* little on both the nut and on the saddles right where the string runs over it and on the string wraps on the tuners, yes I know it sounds weird but trust me on this one.
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later, all DLR era songs
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My suggestion is to buy a $199 OLP that is a copy of a Ernie Ball Axis that is a copy of an EB EVH Musicman. That will sound a hell of alot closer and be easier than tinkering with what you have now.