Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i just listened to the VH 3 song "thats why i love you" and i think that ed might be going down the track of clapton. what i mean by that is.....clapton in his early days was brillant. now he is mostly a song writer more than a lead guitarists (not the flash lead guitarists)...there is nothing wrong with that, however, if i was heavy clapton quitarists fan i was into his guitaring, then i would be pretty disappointed with his recent releases...i am not saying his music sucks..but he is a different guitarists.

i like the extra 3 song and ed is playing great on it (i hate that poppy thinny sound at the beginning...just like can't stopping you), but there was so much more he could have done with the solos. there are great moments in the solos, but the climbing up and down thing and the repeating lines that are directly taken out of the solo of "human beings" now edward van halen has nothing to prove, he took the guitar and wanted to play it well, but instead ending up conquering it like no other before him....with the exception of one black left handed guitarists who gave the instrument one fucking hell of a kick up the arse....he not need play another note and he would still be the benchmark for all players.

but i listen to van halen mostly for ed's writing abilities and his playing....in a couple of years will i be listening to a van halen that is without guitar solos. ed could have carved up sections of those solos (the song from 3) but didn't and opted for repeated lines and basics???????? what is the future of van halen???

------------------
    well you say its kinda frighten how this younger generation swings, you know its more than some new sensation....Van Halen forever

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Ludwig
    I would tend to agree with you. I would say from OU812 on, Ed has focused primarily on songwriting. His solos are still good, but they don't suprise me, and they definatly are not why I buy VH albums.
    I remember reading an artical with Ed around the OU812 era, (which cosequently was the around the time he started coming in 2nd and 3rd in guitar polls)where he said he feels like he's maturing. He also said that soloing like a madman doesn't do it for him anymore, and that he was consentrating on songwriting.
    I think that you need a better song then a solo, but it would be nice to hear Ed blaze again. As I've said before, the part I enjoy the most about Ed's playing is his ability to improvise live. I think if this reunion with Roth works out, we will be singing a completely different tune after the album comes out

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do believe Eddie could still do a solo that would make your jaw drop, but like homeunit pointed out, he's more into songwriting. The song is the most important thing in music, but a good solo kicks it up a notch IMO.

------------------
    Eat Us And Smile!!!

EUAS Co-Founder

"I won't go down in history, but I will go down on your sister!"....David Lee Roth

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 02:41 PM
    Liked 199 Times in 105 Posts

there's just so much more to VH's music now. Listen to say Ice Cream Man and then Aftershock and see the difference. I'm sure he'll surprise us with the new CD. I just think Ed wants people to notice his playing skills rather than his noodling.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

03.21.10 @ 06:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys, I couldn't agree more. As I have stated here before, Eddie matured during the eightys and his priorities in life changed. The edge and grit of the road and early club days were gone. Along with a child, that is why he changed his style. I hope that their is a beast inside of him, b/c I'd bet its ready to get out and kick some ass. By the way, I think if TWILY were the first single, followed by Without You, VH3 might have had more commercial success. later.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Uhmm..guys what's wrong with you? VH3 had some of the best guitar work I've seen him do since Dave was in the band.....solo to From Afar is no less than amazing....DWD, why can't anyone tab this one out...One I Want is so killer who cares if he's used past phrases....and the layering of guitars in songs like Josephina and Year are very much creative and different.
    I doubt Eddie will ever turn into Clapton. First of all, Clapton never has been that creative....a tasteful player...but come on...the blues? There's only so much you can do with that. Yes, Clapton has changed...but along with the times. He knows all he needs to do is write a cheesy song about his father and it'll sell. Am I being too harsh?
    Nonetheless, Eddie is a freak of nature, somehow , and has been blessed with an ability to come up with different and new sounds from the beginning. That'll never change in my opinion....because he's yet to disappoint me (name two VH albums that sound alike). Clapton, on the other hand, is stale and always will be.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

So This Is Love?
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Amanda I liked what you said about VH3 but I must say just like it says under my yearbook picture along with Unchained,EVH,my parents and Jeff Beck......CLAPTON IS GOD.

------------------

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't care for VH3 at all but when it comes to creativity with the instrument per say,VH3 has 100 times the "noodling" than say"5150". Don't get me wrong,"5150" blows all over VH3 as far as songs go,but Eddie is much more creative on the new stuff. Eddie's guitar sounds the same all over "5150",but on "3", he's all over the place. His solo's are better too.If you have noticed,Eddie has been adding more guitar ditty's progressively from " 5150" - VH3. I think it was planned to have Ed's guitar be more laid back on "5150" due to Sammy's incarnation.