On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK, I got off my lazy keyboard and searched through past topics, and found the following:

SEPT 16 – TOPIC – NECK OIL
    SEPT 16 ROLSGUITARS - POST
    your hand oils also include other chemicals that are harmful to that neck in much bigger amounts than the oil, like water and salt, one of the reasons to oil the neck other than protecting it from weather and if you don't play outside there is really only one reason to oil it, that's because you play it.
    so I would oil a neck twice a year with pure tung oil (also called china wood oil).
    hope this helps

SEPT 17 TRIBB - POST
    Just a note to add onto Rols post.
    Tung oil is the way to go when oiling your neck, but it also has a sealing quality which is good.
    The only problem is that tung oil will also seal the dirt in. An unfinished maple neck will age when playing anyway and there may be no amount of cleaning that will get it completely clean.
    If you're going to use use tung oil however, "DO NOT" use lemon oil before applying the tung oil, as lemon oil will get into the wood and keep the tung oil from penetrating and drying properly.
    Try cleaning with a diluted mix of murphy's oil soap and give the guitar at least overnight to dry, even after you hand dry it, to allow all the moisture to evaporate.
    Then follow with a couple of light coats of tung oil and it should stay sealed well for 6 months to a year, depending on how much you play, but it won't lose it "wood" feel.
    Tung oil, when applied properly makes the neck feel like it's still bare wood.
    Tung oil is for maple necks only though. Don't use it on rosewood or ebony fingerboards.

Didn't realy take that long with my MSN dial-up at home and my Websense "This page does not appear to be work related" hurdles at work. Plus it I got to review a couple of cool topics/posts. Tribbs recount/reply to Lead singer problems got some good laughs and eyebrow raising Glad I found the info now as my Goldtop Wolfie has been in my po for a year and needs a cleaning/oiling.

Peace,
    GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You might be looking for this?

http://www.van-halen.com/newsite/wgr898.html

I also have this article from Peavey:

Wolfgang Neck Cleaning Tips

The following tips should be taken into consideration to retain the good looks and sound of your EVH Wolfgang guitar:

Wash hands thoroughly before playing to minimize the effects of excessive dirt and skin acids. Wipe the instrument down with a soft, dry cloth after each use. The oil finished neck should be cleaned and replenished periodically, such as during string changes. We recommend using Peavey Lemon-oil for this but many of the commercially available fingerboard or lemon oils are suitable. Do not use oils containing stains or pigments as they may stain the neck. Also, do not apply a paste wax to the neck. Paste wax is fine for oil finishes on instrument bodies and furniture, but it can cause a wax build up resulting in a "sticky" or "gummy" neck feel.

Using a soft, clean cloth; apply only enough oil to moisten the wood surface of the neck. Allow the oil to absorb into the wood for a few minutes, and then wipe off any excess. If excessively dirty, apply the oil using a soft-bristled toothbrush, and gently scrub the surface to loosen and remove any dirt and grime. Wipe off any excess.

Small surface scratches on the back of the neck can be removed by applying oil with #0000 ultra fine steel wool, or an equivalent synthetic steel wool. Do not allow steel wool or shavings to be exposed to the pickups, frets or finished body and peghead surfaces. Regular use and cleaning will keep the frets clean and shiny. If the frets should need additional work, it is recommended to let an experienced technician perform this operation. Do not scrub the fret surfaces with steel wool unless the fingerboard is properly masked as staining of the maple fingerboard may occur.

Clean and shine the guitar body and peghead surface with a soft, clean cloth and a polish suitable for hard, gloss finishes, such as Peavey guitar polish. Do not use water- or alcohol-based polishes on the oil finished neck surface. They can raise the wood grain resulting in a rough surface texture and possibly cause damage to the neck. Store your instrument in the case when it's not in use. We include a desiccant pack inside the Wolfgang case to help absorb moisture if needed. If a humidifier is needed, you can either use a commercially available product or make one yourself by enclosing a slightly damp sponge inside a small, plastic salt or pepper shaker.
    Roger C

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

RCRIMM,
    Thanks for the link and Peavey text.

But now I'm a bit confused,
    Murphy's soap, Endust, Isopropyl Alcohol??
    Lemon Oil, Tung Oil??

I'm guessing that these approaches all work, and should be based on the level of playing/dirtiness you're dealing with....JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO MIX THE STEPS ( ie Bleach and Ammonia )

I think for now I'll go with the diluted Murphy's and Tung oil.

Peace,
    GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by gtrhead4life:
    RCRIMM,
    Thanks for the link and Peavey text.

But now I'm a bit confused,
    Murphy's soap, Endust, Isopropyl Alcohol??
    Lemon Oil, Tung Oil??

I'm guessing that these approaches all work, and should be based on the level of playing/dirtiness you're dealing with....JUST BE CAREFUL NOT TO MIX THE STEPS ( ie Bleach and Ammonia )

I think for now I'll go with the diluted Murphy's and Tung oil.

Peace,
    GH4L
    peavey is the only one I know that suggests using lemon oil, I never use it and never have on a MM or my wolf, there is a simple method just as tribb and I explained above, you have a choice niether is gonna hurt your guitar, I have always used either steel wool or murphys to clean and tung oil as the last coat sealant.
    Rol.