Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dudes;
    Its been awhile.I recently purchased a made in mexico squier strat.Now I know that alot of folks tend to look down on them,but what I have here is a diamond in the rough.My question is,what kind of single coils should I use to replace the stock pick ups?I was thinking about Texas specials.Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by stratman5150:
    Dudes;
    Its been awhile.I recently purchased a made in mexico squier strat.Now I know that alot of folks tend to look down on them,but what I have here is a diamond in the rough.My question is,what kind of single coils should I use to replace the stock pick ups?I was thinking about Texas specials.Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    I honestly don't like the Texas specials, I've made a few SRV replicas and the cusomers wanted Tex Mex, and they came out sounding pretty damn good .
    I'm not sure but isn't that what's in the Meaxican Strat anyway ?? what don't you like about the pickups that are in it?
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't look down on them.
    I've played some Mex. strats that played extremely well. You might find a difference in price from one Mex. strat to the next, depending on the bodywood, neckwood, model(vintage,etc..) used.
    Some mexican strats already come loaded with Tex. Mex. pickups so make sure yours isn't one of those.
    I'm not a big fan of the tex mex pickups either.
    If you want a good older type vintage strat sound then Seymour Duncan APS-1 single coils are very good sounding. If you're looking for a higher output pickup I'd cruise the net cause there are literally hundreds to choose from. As I said, SD makes excellent strat pickups, but my favorite pickups personally are Kinman Pickups from Australia.
    They're a bit pricey, but I haven't heard a better strat pickup yet.
    You can check them out at www.kinman.com
    I have recordings of myself playing in clubs using the kinmans that I could email, or IM you, but I don't have anyplace to load them for hearing over the net.
    We used to have a spot run by Homeunit where we could load files at one time, but that was free at the time and I don't know if the service is still available.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So Tribb, would you recommend Kinmans over Fralins? I ask because I'm at the stage of my Warmoth project where I'm ordering P'ups. I ordered a Seymour Duncan Custom Custom for the bridge (it's a fat Strat), but I haven't been able to decide on singles for the mid or neck positions. I've heard mostly good things about Kinmans, but someone on Harmony Central told me they sounded kind of sterile and recommended Fralins. I'm sure that either will be great, and they cost about the same. I'm just at a major crossroads and I'm not sure which way to go with it.

The guitar is Alder with a maple drop top and birdseye maple neck and fingerboard with LSR Rollernut, and a Wilkinson trem. It sounds great acoustically so I want to put the right pickups in it so it'll knock my socks off once I get to plug it in. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yea Prages, I'd recommend Kinmans over Fralins in a heartbeat. Fralins are nice p/u's but IMO the Kinmans beat them hands down. One thing I like about Kinmans as well is the fact that they're dead quiet. As quiet as any humbucker. I don't know why anyone would say they're sterile sounding unless he had the height adjustment way off or was using shitty wood. Everyone's ear is different though. One thing about them is that you have to play with the height to get them just right. That usually means the treble side will go higher or lower than the bass side, depending on your preference, and you have to play with the height.
    With kinmans a quarter turn of the screwdriver makes a didderence.
    The pickups came with height instructions for the p/u's as a standard mounting procedure, but after talking to Chris a few times and explaining that the height adjustment didn't work well that way he changed that on the site and possibly the written instructions as well.
    For your body wood and neck I'd recommend the AVN Blues (AVN 62's). They have a fat SRV type of sound that overdrive nicely when pushed, and sound great in an alder body and maple neck.
    Most of the recorded stuff I have are with the 62's.
    Those are my favorite, even though I've got the 56's and 59's as well, in different strats.
    The 56's have a more balanced tone, really like an old 50's strat.
    Your custom custom is about 14K or more in output, which is fairly hot, so you'd have to drop it lower to match the kinmans in volume, since you'd have to set up the Kinmans first to get the best sound out of them, but you'd only need 2 kinmans and you can order them right from the site.
    If I had a site to put sound clips on I'd show you how they sound.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rol
    I was going on what I heard when I tried the guitar at the pawn shop.When I got it home and plugged into my gear,It sounded pretty damn good.I think I will stick with what I have got.The only thing my guitar needs now is a good cleaning and a fresh set of strings [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Thanks for the advice guys.Hey tribb,how can I tell if I have Tex Mex Pickups?Is there any thing that I need to be on the look out for

[ November 29, 2002, 06:48 PM: Message edited by: stratman5150 ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What model strat is it?
    If it's something like the Jimmy vaughn strat they come with tex mex p/u's.
    There should be a model no. on the headstock that you can use to determine the type of strat and what p/u's were used in that particular model.
    Sometimes there's a sticker on the body that tells you the type of strat.
    Once you have the model it's fairly easy to determine the p/u's used.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Tribb
    on the headstock,there is a serial number,MN317863.The headstock is a "regular" strat style headstock(not the oversized like the newer squires).The squier decal is like the spagetti decal on regular strats.Last night,I took the pickguard off while cleaning it.There was a checklist sticker.This checklist had a date of 1994.hope this could help identify the type of pick ups.thanks for your help.It came from a pawnshop.There was no stickers to identify as to what kind of squier it is.My guess is a standard squier strat.

[ November 30, 2002, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: stratman5150 ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stratman, is it painted a solid color or transparent color so you can see the woodgrain through it, and what color is the body?

Also, is it a solid white pickguard, or 3 ply (white/black/white) at the side?
    Is the hardware silver or gold colored?
    The year narrows it down. I just need these other details and I can tell you.

[ November 30, 2002, 07:16 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the P'up advice, Tribb. I had never heard anything negative about the Kinmans before, so I took the comment I heard at HC with a grain of salt. I'll probably go with the Kinmans. Of course, if I don't like them, I'll blame you!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb;
    It is a solid candy apple red guitar with a one piece maple neck.It has a solid white,11 hole pickguard.The hardware is silver.hope this helps you.I think that it has a vintage look to it.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Prages:
    Thanks for the P'up advice, Tribb. I had never heard anything negative about the Kinmans before, so I took the comment I heard at HC with a grain of salt. I'll probably go with the Kinmans. Of course, if I don't like them, I'll blame you!
    Oh oh. Won't be the first time I've taken shit though.
    Just remember that they're a very vintage sounding p/u so if you're looking for a more modern aggresive sound they won't work well.
    If you like the SRV/Hendrix sound though they're bang on when set up properly.
    Just like a vintage strat, the amp plays a big part of the sound as well.

Stratman, going by what you've told me it's a
    standard strat.
    It's got a poplar body, which is fine for a strat.
    The serial no. indicates that although it might have been shipped in 94, it was made in 93.
    Those strats were assembled in mexico from parts shipped from Fender in Ca.
    The assembled guitars were then shipped back to fender in Ca. before being sent out to dealers.
    As far as the p/u's, They didn't start calling them tex mex, or texas specials till around 96, but since they're just a hotter wound standard strat p/u they could have been using them earlier.
    Can you tell me whether there's 21 or 22 frets on the neck, and whether the backs of the tuning pegs are round or square(rectangular).
    Is there anything stamped on the trem unit saddles, and are you sure it's candy apple red, and not crimson red, which is darker, or torino red, which is kind of an orangy red.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sounds like you have almost the same Strat (although mine is black, and NOT a Squire) that I have. It's a very sweet guitar indeed! I like my Strats to have tons of balls, so i put Duncan Hot Rail in the bridge (replaced with an Allparts graphite bridge.. awesome!)and Duncan stacked humbuckers in the middle & neck.

[ December 02, 2002, 06:59 AM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tribb;
    21 fret neck with rectangular (stock) tuning pegs.there is nothing stamped on the trem saddles.as far as the color,i'm not sure.Its not a real dark red,kinda like a light dark red It could be a torino red.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'll tell you bud, this is a real strange one.
    The standard mex. strats are 22 fret necks, and they don't come in candy apple or torino red.
    As strange as it may seem your strat fits all the criteria for the tex mex strat, 21 fret neck, solid white pickguard, kluson style tuners, maple neck with black dot inlay, vintage style tremelo, etc., and they came in candy apple red as well.
    The only weird thing is that they didn't start calling them tex mex strats till 96, but from what I can gather, based on what you've told me, it doesn't fit the mold for a standard or traditional strat.
    I've gotta speak to a buddy who knows more about strats than I do, and see what I can find out.
    It could be a strat that the tex mex was based on.
    Squire is just a name they put on the headstocks originally to let strat owners know that the guitar wasn't made in the US.

Apart from that it's built to the same specs as a regular strat.
    I've swapped squire necks for standard necks and they fit perfectly.
    One of the best strats I ever played was a buddys early 80's jap squire strat.
    That thing sounded amazing.
    Anyway I'll find out what I can in the next couple of days and get back to you.