Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Finally got around to spraying the first color coat on the 5150 stripe project last night, and used some kind of (supposedly) top grade spray paint from Home Depot. They've got a big ole chart on the wall showing you how one can of this paint will cover as much as 2 cans of the mid-grade, and 5 cans of the cheapo stuff, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I used as per the instructions on a BINS primed and sanded body, and it came out soooo dry! I stayed about 10 inches away, for fear of runs, but now I've got a really rough and not-at-all shiny finish that I guess I'll sand and do again. I suppose I'll get closer and see what happens. What a bummer. <sigh> Life's little trials and tribulations...
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by only letters and numbers:
    Finally got around to spraying the first color coat on the 5150 stripe project last night, and used some kind of (supposedly) top grade spray paint from Home Depot. They've got a big ole chart on the wall showing you how one can of this paint will cover as much as 2 cans of the mid-grade, and 5 cans of the cheapo stuff, blah blah blah.

Anyway, I used as per the instructions on a BINS primed and sanded body, and it came out soooo dry! I stayed about 10 inches away, for fear of runs, but now I've got a really rough and not-at-all shiny finish that I guess I'll sand and do again. I suppose I'll get closer and see what happens. What a bummer. <sigh> Life's little trials and tribulations...
    Don't sand yet. Layer on several coates, then do a light sanding. Rol can probably tell you how to best sand (wet is highly recommended!), but you still need more layers of color. Your wood grain may have risen up as well from the moisture. Once you finally do sand, everything should be smooth and glossy like you were hoping for... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Patience, Young Grasshopper... Grasp the pebble [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

[ October 09, 2002, 11:34 AM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Unchained only letters and numbers's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Dirty Movies
    Last Online

10.28.14 @ 02:57 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

God I love this message board! Very cool people here!

Yeah, patience seems to be the key. I can't believe I've been able to restrain myself this much so far, actually. The base of this geetar is an e-bay special body (cheap!) that originally had 2 humbuckers. I filled one of the cavities, and I had to stop myself a couple of times from saying, "Good enough," and now I'm glad I did.

Abe Lincoln once said, "If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I'd spend 6 of them sharpening my axe." Seems topical.
    January 5, 2005 - Resurrection

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude;
    last night ,I put my final coat of white glossy krylon paint.I used a super fine sanding sponge and 4-0t steele wool before my final coat.It is totally sweet.I will wait a few days,then I will begin my stripe job.As posted before,patience [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by only letters and numbers:

yea you held the can to far from the work, it called air to liquid ratio, it feels sandy correct ?? no big deal, you can leave it or what I would do is wet sand it with 300 grit then wipe it down clean it off and let it dry, then add more
    coats with the can closer to the work but keep it moving.

Now, if you want your guitar to be like Eds you *don't* want it shiny looking, you don't want the paint glossy at all, as mentioned in a previous post when you are all done you wet sand and 4ot steel wool the guitar till all the shine is gone, that gives it the older look.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, my 5 years of experience at Sherwin Williams finally comes in handy...LOL

Any time you apply a coating by spray method, your going to lose a lot of your material as overspray, especially if you are not in a stable air environment. A professional finish with an HVLP cup gun is one thing - but an aerosol can is totally unpredictable. Nozzle clogs, changes in can pressure, etc. are always going to keep you from having an even application. As rol said, you were definitely too far from the body with the can - I got no further from 6 inches from mine when I used aerosol, and you hae GOT to keep your passes even and let off the trigger as you are moving, NOT after you stop moving the can - that's where you'll get build-up and create extra sanding for yourself in the long run. Also, as rol said - you never strive for perfection in a paint coat with an EVH stripe job, since what you are trying to replicate is a beat up guitar to begin with, and the wet sand step is absolutely crucial. Plus, I don't think anybody has mentioned this in these multitudes of strip job threads, but forgive me if someone has - when you wet sand, make sure you are using the proper solvent for your type of paint that you are using. If it's acrylic, use water. If it's oil-based, used mineral spirits. If you use the wrong solvent, you'll get all kinds of headaches, especially if you use mineral spirits on an acrylic finish - otherwise your body will start to look like a poorly rolled pizza with bubbles all over it ( ).

[ October 09, 2002, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: Wolfman ]