Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am building(assembling), cause you really don't build a guitar unless you chop down the tree and start from scratch. Anyway I am assemling one and I will recive a maple on maple warmoth neck, with bananna headstock in the raw. Has anyone heard of acetone and superglue for the moisture barrier? I got the info from a tech at ernie ball and I'm going to do it. I tested it out on an old Ibanez neck and it is incredible!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im bumpin this because It is a great way new secret in guitar necks. It allows the neck to feel natural and is a Kick ass stabilizer. Now I want to know if anyone has tried it. I got it from a dude who works at Ernie Ball.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 03:00 AM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

I have no idea about this method. I guess a mixture of acetone is a delivery device which will dissolve quickly but allow the the spreading of superglue to seal the base.

I am a pharmacist and have worked with acetone before in a lab setting. To do this you might need alot of acetone. I wouldn't suggest using it at all. It will irratate the mucous membrane in your nose and also your eyes. And thoose are the first problems that can occur.

Maybe I am being a bit cautious but that is how I feel.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To late brother man.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with Onerib. I've worked with a acetone a number of times in the past when working with plastics and it's really nasty stuff.
    It's actually illegal to buy pure acetone off the shelf in a lot of places now.
    If you're gonna use it as a carrier to water down superglue then make sure you have extremely good ventilation, and wear acid proof gloves. Acetone can eat through plastic and a lot of rubber compounds very quickly.
    Also, unless you know the right mix ratio of acetone to superglue, the acitone will penetrate the wood quickly and might swell and raise the grain just as quickly. That coupled with the superglue drying and hardening in seconds will give you a very rough fealing texture that you'll have to sand down, leaving a dust of superglue in the air to breathe.
    You'll have to repeat the process, but now you won't be starting with a bare wood finish, and even if you sand it to bare wood again, you'll have altered the shape of the neck.
    Companies don't use that method of sealing a neck for good reason.
    To anyone who's seriously thinking of doing this, think hard before you do it, and then don't do it.
    There are much better ways to seal a neck.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes I agree this procedure can be hazardous if you don't use precaution. I bought the acetone at a Wal-mart supercenter, but this doesn't mean it can't be harmful, It can if your a really carless person. If you want to Know what acetone is, go into your sisters bedroom and get a bottle of her fingernail polish remover, because that is the main ingridient in it. And the super glue you can pick up at a hobby shop. It is calle insta cure(extra thin). I had never used this stuff before, but I used common sense and prepared my neck OUTSIDE In THE GARAGE, WITH THE DOOR OPEN! How many girls do you see removing their finger nail polish in the garage?
    Men have used Methyl ethyl ketone for years, until it was carcinogenic. They still use it, but with good ventilation and good common sense. Please don't turn this generation into a bunch of pussies. Chemicals are as safe as the person usin them.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

They still use it, but with good ventilation and good common sense. Please don't turn this generation into a bunch of pussies. Chemicals are as safe as the person usin them
    I agree with you there, but I don't want Brett taking the heat when some 14 year tries it and gets fucked up, because he couldn't be bothered taking the proper steps that you do, and his parents ask where he got the idea.

[ September 23, 2002, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes I agree with you. Kids skip precaution. I know I did when I was a kid. You can void out this whole thread if you feel like it.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I prefer an unfinished neck, then sniff the glue anyway [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Just kidding

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

F.U.C.K.
    Favorite VH Song

RUNAROUND
    Last Online

09.11.13 @ 09:10 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

NOT TO MENTION IF SOMEONE WHO DOESN'T KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING DUMPS THEMSELVES A RAG FULL OF THAT CRAP AND HAS A CIG IN THERE MOUTH.I'VE USED THIS STUFF BEFORE AND IF YOU LIKE TO GET STONED HAVE AT IT. SHIT JUST GAVE ME A BUMMER OF A HEADACHE [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]
    Give me a bottle of anything and a jelly donut.....TO GO!!!!<br /> DLR 86'

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I cleaned the neck and board on my Wolf Special for the first time since I've had it a few days ago...build up wasn't too bad but I decided why not.

Well I've heard lemon oil and tung oil as reccomendations so I went to Walmart. The tung oil they had there (Formby's) had petroleum distillates so I said fuck it.

I took one of the rec's off the Wolfgang report and bought some Endust (no wax) and bought some orange oil, which also has petroleum distillates...Honestly I'm not sure if it's gonna make a difference in the world so that's what I used.

I just lightly sprayed the endust and used a light bristle toothbrush after taping of the board and running some 4balls steel wool over the frets...then I wiped the shit off, applied some orange oil and that's all she wrote...

Eddie used to say he would wring Sterling Ball's neck if when he sent his axe back to them and they cleaned his neck cause he preferred it dirty...

Acetone and superglue seems like goin a little overboard as far as concoctions, and on top of that is some nasty shit, but to each his own...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

their next one
    Favorite VH Song

dance the night away
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

not goin overboard, just takin care from sratch!
    this combo does seal the wood harder than a teenage boy in a hot for teacher video!