Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I don't know where to start, so I'll just dig in:

As some of you know, I bought a yellow Axis Super Sport (hard tail) with a AA quilt top about 6 months ago.

Eureka, right? Wrong.

The bridge pickup was f*cked. [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] I couldn't figure out exactly what the problem was at first, but through some studying, then some arguing (here), and then more studying, I realized that the bridge was higher than my Axis standard, thereby increasing the space between the strings and the pickup. Additionally, the pickup didn't extend out as far from the body as the one on my Axis standard.

Bottom line: I didn't know whether to try and mod the thing, or sell it. Selling it would've presented some ethical problems, as if I advertised it as "not sounding like a normal Axis", I never would've sold it, but if I didn't make mention of the discrepency, the buyer would've been flat-out pissed, and rightfully so.

The sound was so different from this guitar, that it wasn't just "quieter" (not sensing the notes, harmonics, pinch harmonics, etc.), but the actual "tone curvature" of the guitar was different. Gone was the big, tight-yet-mushy bass sound, and powerful-yet-soft highs. It basically sucked.

But tone curve aside, I was pissed at the lack of output, as I hate cranking the gain on my amp, yet this guitar required 2 more notches worth of gain to sound as loud as my Axis standard. However, since more pre-amp distortion was then present, the tone blew even more....too raspy & narrow.

Well, today I finally got the motivation to take the initiative. I unscrewed the bridge pickup, popped it out as far as I could, and inserted 2 spare Ralph Lauren buttons under the pickup stands (2 metal stands with holes in them that support the pickup, the back of the pickup itself actually doesn't touch the wood....didn't know that).

Put the screws back in, tightened them, re-tuned the strings, and BINGO....tone heaven!

I'm now DOUBLE-BAD, mutherph*ckers!!
    [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Few observations:
    The pickup between the 2 guitars is the same.
    The pickup cavity was drilled too deeply in the Axis Super Sport, causing the pickup to sink further in by about an 1/8th of an inch.

Locking Tuners....not a Floyd, but actual LOCKING TUNERS are an absolute God-send. You slide the string through the tuning peg, turn this knob behind it, which locks it, cut the rest, and twist the peg a couple of times and yer done.

That may not be anything new to those who have one, but I was shocked that I didn't have to re-string my guitar. On a Floyd system, you'd have to literally unwind all the windings, pull it out, and then pray that you can slide the string back through the peg, rewind it a trillion times before it even budges, and THEN start to tune up.

Not with these. Interesting revelation:

With these locking tuners, they're so accurate, you only need maybe 1/4th inch of spare string to pass through the tuning peg. You then tighten it, and because there's no slack, it's up to pitch in a couple of turns. Basically, this allows you to totally remove all of your strings, and then put them back on....effortlessly.

This guitar won me over even more today.

That's not to say I still won't shove in a Duncan Custom Custom, or Custom Custom Custom (or Custom 5 as it's now called), but this axe has new life.

Now, the only difference between my two guitars is the slight variation in tone presented between the differences of a Floyd and a hard-tail, and also the fact that my Super Sport resonates just a *little* bit differently.

Hallelujah!

Thankyou for your time. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Will it be known as the "Ralph Lauren mod" from now on?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Ladies and gentlemen... Please pass the tissue for this stellar performance! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] At least you found the tone you were looking for...

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I 2nd the "Ralph Lauren Mod".. all in favor?
    On locking tuners.. I LOVE THEM! My PRS has them & it takes like 5 minutes to restring & play.
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Will we not be sued for using the Ralph Lauren name? (If he's a good friend of Eddie's then probably so.)
    Your favorite band sucks.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

It's only a matter of time before Tommy Hilfiger tries to jump on the bandwagon with......The Tommy Mod.