Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: Practicing?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm just curious..what do you guys practice out there, and how are you practicing? Over my last 5 years of teaching, I've noticed that most guitarists only PLAY and never practice. Of course, I 've also noticed that those guys didn't get any better, either.

I don't consider what I'm doing 'practice' if I'm not slaving myself to the metronome. I work mostly on technique, since that's what is the first to go when I haven't had time to play/practice for a few days. It takes me WEEKS to recover from a couple missed sessions!

In terms of what I pracice, I either work on geometric exercises, or some classical violin etudes--Bach, Kreutzer, Paganini, etc. And no, I do NOT sound anything like Yngwie!

So, what/how do all of you practice?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Abe,
    Speaking for myself I will run new scales with a drum track as a metronome. I play slow and speed up as I get a better feel for the scale. I play alot of music that has odd time changes so I have to be ON or it would sound like crap. ( Some would argue it STILL does even when I'm on time) However I do not do this unless I am trying to learn some thing new and it is a challange. Once I have it down I can usually pull it out of my musical hat at will when needed, with not much rust on it. I am writing and recording daily and that keeps the dexterity flowing. So in short I usually only "practice" when trying to master something new and then incorporate it into my style of playing. I am 37 and have been playing/learning this way for 30 of those years. It works for me but I would not recomend it to any one else. My son's 8 & 10 years of age are set into a regimented practice schedual that is more along the lines of what you do. PS Abe you are a better man than me if you have the patience to teach the youngin's, who only want to learn the trick's of the trade without any foundation to build upon. I tried teaching for awhile but no one wanted to learn fundamentals just how to copy Randy Rhoads solo from "Crazy Train" and how to sweep arpegio's. Scuse' the spellin' Lata Snake

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

I first picked up a guitar over 15 years ago and learned the necessary power chords to play my favorite metal stuff and just learned how to play from listening to songs. Needless to say, I only got so far and until recently, never bothered with the basic stuff, especially scales and technique.

Flash forward to this past May, when I decided to invest in a Wolfgang and seriously play. I was gonna take lessons until someone here turned me onto wholenote.com. This site should charge for their lessons! I went and learned from ground zero (scales, open chord, picking exercises. etc.)and through at least 2-3 hours of practice almost every night have improved significantly. It's amazing how through repetition, certain things become ingrained in your brain (and hands). Of course, I'll take a break and learn to play songs now from time to time to break things up, and have tried playing different styles of music for variety.

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am a beginner so I practice whatever new think I am learning. I learn songs then I practice those, I learn scales and chords and I practice those. I do a review every night also. I go through scales a few times, and some songs I have learned in the year ive been playing. I love to play, and I work hard to learn new things!

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey wolfie me too. I like to play with the radio. I have a really good ear for music an can usually pick up stuff fast. Since school started i found less time to practice. During the summer months i played for 4 hours straight. I have many guitar books that have scales ect. i practice them some times. i also have a few videos i use . i mostly buy tab books and cds and try playing along.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

Well I don't sit down and really practice anymore, I just don't have time. When I sit down to watch TV, I always grab my Wolfie and noodle with scales and just keep my fingers limber. My band rehearses weekly, so I get a pretty good workout at practice for 3 or 4 hours, but my chops tend to get bad when I don't pick up the guitar a few times at home during the week to stay limber. I also notice that when I get into songwriting mode, my lead playing suffers for a while too. Basically, I don't practice enough anymore.

There was a time like 10 years ago when I would sit for 6 or 7 hours straight with that guitar in my hand, playing everything from scales, to songs, to coming up with riffs, playing with CD's and radio.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited September 08, 2000 at 03:48 PM).]

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited September 08, 2000 at 03:50 PM).]

crossing_over
    ive palying guitar (first acoustic now electric guitar) since 1993 so im not an expert but ...anyway i am still learning

------------------
    I reach across to the other side to make contact with you.You fill my dreams.I wanna tell you,tell me why youre crossing over...

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I took lessons for around 6 years. Learned tons of theory! I used to work graveyard shift at a place that I could practice for 5-7 hours a night. I was olso playing in band during this time so I was getting a good workout!
    These days I don't practice so much anymore! I do in my head by trying to think musically about song structure note choice etc.
    I feel that I'm a better player today then when I was practicing for hours and hours everyday. I still noodle with chromatics and intervals to loosen up, but mostly I just play.
    The one negative thing I've found is that my hands get tired a lot faster when I don't play everyday (which isn't often thank god!)
    I think because I don't play in a band anymore, I really don't need tons of technique, if I were to start playing in a band again, or doing any serious session work, I'd practice like hell for a month and be back in tip top shape, but like someone else said, "If you don't use it, you loose it" and my idea of fun isn't sitting around the house doing 32nd note sweeps! LOL

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium
    G4

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

05.28.08 @ 07:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ah, the age old institution of practice...I never do it anymore, but I need to. I went through a period of time when I didn't play for like a year, and it really hurt my playing. Seems as though I lost some speed, although I'm slowly getting it back. I guess my biggest problem is time these days. With a family, work, etc., it's just so damn hard to dedicate time for playing without ignoring the "important" things. As far as lessons go, I never took any, so I didn't have a regimented type of practice like some people might of had. All of my practicing was basically playing to records and learning that way. It did help that I played trumpet and could read music though, so I wasn't starting totally from scratch. My recommendation to anyone starting out is have fun. I know it sounds corny but the moment you start feeling as though practing is a chore, then that's the moment you stop learning.

------------------
    DLR Army webmaster

http://www.dlrarmy.com

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Dont say that B.S. When you 1st start out practicing is a chore! You dont know anything so it isnt that fun because you sound crappy! You need a good 3 month before its really fun!!

------------------
    "Take it off, Take it off, Yeah!"

E.B.A.S

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Practise is finally a mental condition ! I practise not every day finally , 'cause I don't got a lot of free time !
    But when i do , I may stay sit with my guitar for 3-4 hours !
    Ya know , i jam with the radio ... practise Chops and scales , and I did 4 years of school !
    I have had about 3 bands , but I quit with all 3 at the time !
    I'm not that kinda of guy that may stay in a band for more of 2 years !
    I love to jam my self and do some school stuff to the kids !

------------------
    Eddie_italian from Italy --- member of the G4
    member of www.vhvault.com
    Listen to <A HREF="http://www.vhvault.com/vhvault/listennow.html" TARGET=_blank>VHvault.com LSD
    Radio</A>
    Moderator at the "inside 5150 " on www.vhvault.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 01:49 AM
    Liked 11,578 Times in 4,934 Posts

I guess I blew my whole theory out of the water. My band took a couple weeks off and I picked up my guitar a couple times during that time and played a little, just chords no lead stuff or anything. So I go to practice last night and figure I am gonna be so bad and tired, but amazingly my chops haven't sounded better in months. Maybe I was just refreshed, who knows. So much for practicing.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Last Online

06.12.15 @ 12:43 PM
    Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

about a half hour every other night and a few hours on weekends. I am getting old and don't play in a band anymore, so I split my time between theory and just learning a new song here and there.

I bought a nice acoustic, which is my first nice acoustic, so I have been learning alot of zep and I learned the intro to hearts crazy on you, always liked that little piece.