On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Ain\'t Talkin\' \'Bout Love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

do any of you guys know anything about classical guitar? specifically what chords are commonly used, picking patterns, tunings, etc. i love the sound of classical guitar and would love to be able to get into it..i mainly have players like rik emmett, rhoads, iommi(the tracks he has done on sabbath records), even some page stuff, if he can be thought of as classical in some way. also any other guitarists you guys can think of that play like this, lemme know! thanks
    Van Halen kicks ass!

Good Enough

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 08:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went through my classical stage at one time.
    If you want to hear a good classical player listen to Jesse Cook.

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 07:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

John Williams and Leona Boyd come to mind as great classical guitarists. Paco DeLucia is a world class Flamenco guitarist.

The book that I learned with is called "Solo Guitar Playing" by Frederick M. Noad and is a great resource. The problem is there's no tab, so you have to read. There are probably books these days with tab included but I suspect that they are discouraged in the classical community.(Although they do have tab for the picking fingers)

If you are into just good accoustic guitar you should pick up an album called "Friday Night In San Francisco" that has Paco De Lucia, John McGlauclin and Al DiMeola.

Classical is "Old School" to the max. You have to read music and you have to sit up straight and hold your guitar just so. You'll also need a teacher for about six months just to get the hang of it. The upside is that with classical training the whole musical world is wide open for you. You can teach, you can go on to jazz or country with little problem. Being able to read will mean that you can walk into any music store and grab sheet music and learn a song in minutes, any song. As a classical guitarist you can play solo which means that you don't have to split your gig money up at the end of the night and can play in some really nice places AND ask for more money.

I played classical for two years before I bought my electric and the one advantage I had was that I could sharpen my picking skills on the classical guitar and just rip on the electric.
    You can pick up a nylon string guitar for cheap and have a lot of fun.

Go for it.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog: