Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

so this is love
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those of you using stomp box effects, any particular order you arrange the pedals for optimum sound or effect? Does it even matter? Assuming your collection included a digital delay, an overdrive/distortion, a phase shifter, a flanger, a wah pedal, and a pedal EQ, how would you arrange them?
    "I don't feel tardy."

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the OD/Distortion pedal is being used as the main distorted sound, then I would run them Wah, Phase, OD, EQ, Flange, and Delay.

I prefer to have my wah and phase before the distortion and flange/chorus/rever/delay after the distortion. I've never used an EQ with a chain of effects boxes but I'm pretty sure it would get the best desired results right after the OD.

Now that I've said all that, it all boils down to personal preference. Take some time for trial and error and arrange to where they sound best with YOU playing through them.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

To get the most of your effects, go from cleanest to most dirty (Distortion). I have my guitar go to my wha then through flanger then distortion. That way the actual effect isn't muddied by the distortion. If I hooked my wha at the end of the chain, my signal would be so distorted that the wha would be barely noticeable [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    To get the most of your effects, go from cleanest to most dirty (Distortion). I have my guitar go to my wha then through flanger then distortion. That way the actual effect isn't muddied by the distortion. If I hooked my wha at the end of the chain, my signal would be so distorted that the wha would be barely noticeable [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    I'm gonna have to agree with LJ on this one. The Wah is essentially not a "Clean" effect.

I'd go Wah, Distortion, then your flanger(Delay, chorus, verb). In essence, your drive tone - derived from your distortion pedal I'm assuming, is being molested somewhat by the flanger. Granted, it probably doesn't sound bad, but you could be getting some uwanted and as of yet unnoticed coloration to your drive tone.

There are times where this is probably unavoidable, such as when you don't have a fucking effects loop and your using your amp's natural distortion(or clean), then you pretty much have to fucking go in. There's ways around that too, but I guess all in all is that if you have the option to route them for optimum tone, I'd do her like that.

I think if your using a Phaser as a Treble boost it might be personal preference to put it out in front like a Wah, rather than in a loop.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

OK, I'm playing guitar since 1979, and I SWEAR I have no idea what EXACTLY to do with the effects loop!?
    Hip me up
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SMUDGE NYC:
    OK, I'm playing guitar since 1979, and I SWEAR I have no idea what EXACTLY to do with the effects loop!?
    Hip me up
    An effects loop is essentially a place to put your modulation/delay effects after the preamp.

This way it doesn't color your tone, or the effect doesn't get muddied when it hits the preamp. So if your using a delay your pure tone is getting delayed, NOT your guitar getting delayed then distorted.

As I said before there are times when this is unavoidable and probably doesn't sound that bad at all with all effects. Now I'm not sure if Eddie went straight in with his effects back in the early days(I don't think that Marshall had a loop, but I could be wrong), but you have to remember that if he was, most of it was subtle or short bursts of flanging and phasing.

I know there are series effects loops and parallel effects loops. But I'm no electrician, so don't try to get me to explain the difference between the two. I know some amps have both series/parallel.

I'm sure Tribb or one of those dudes more experienced with amps can answer that one, and definitely expand on what I could give.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!