Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register

Thread: MusicMan EVH

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi,

Ive got some questions concerning the EBMM\ EVH guitar.
    1. Ive heard the reason for the different neck on the Axis is, that the strings on the EVH snapped off the Fingerboard to the side when strumming hard - what do you think about that ?
    2. The switch : Ive heard that the switch is a very weak one. Can I get a replacement-switch at every store, or is it some special EB switch I have to order from them ?
    3. Switch in the way ? It looks like the switch could get a bit in the way when strumming ... does it ?
    4. The Floyd Rose: The _Licensed_ thing reminds me of a cheap knock-off trem. Is it one, or is it comparable to a real Floyd Rose ?
    5. Since the EVH guitar is no longer in production almost no guitar-store carries it. I tried out an Axis Sport last week ( liked it !! ) and within the next two weeks Im gonna try an Axis. Do you think I could risk buying an EVH from Ebay without playing it, if I like the feel of the Axis? ... or are the Axis and the EVH too different?

If anyone knows a site, where I can get some basic information about the guitar ( dimensions etc. ) - please post the link.

Thank you !

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

1) True.

2) I don't agree. Toggle switch is fine, per my tastes.

3) No, not unless you strum whole-armed like Springsteen.

4) It's tied for being the best tremolo I've ever played.

5)Yes, and "barely", respectively. Good luck finding an EVH for less than $2000, if at all. I hope you meant 'Axis' Standard.

Common sense would tell you to check the company's website. Ernie-ball.com or ernieball.com would be my first guess.....haven't been there in about half a year.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sq2:
    [QB]Hi,

1. Ive heard the reason for the different neck on the Axis is, that the strings on the EVH snapped off the Fingerboard to the side when strumming hard - what do you think about that ?

It's true, the Low E likes to come of the board as well as the high, but it's obviusly something you can adjust to.

2. The switch : Ive heard that the switch is a very weak one. Can I get a replacement-switch at every store, or is it some special EB switch I have to order from them ?

It's just a mini toggle switch and of the 5 MM's I have had 2 needed new switches and I have always thought mini's were weak, they are meant for other things like coil tapping or phasing etc etc, not for a lot of use IMO.

3. Switch in the way ? It looks like the switch could get a bit in the way when strumming ... does it ?

I hit it quite often on accident and you can see in several videos that I have Ed does the same thing.

4. The Floyd Rose: The _Licensed_ thing reminds me of a cheap knock-off trem. Is it one, or is it comparable to a real Floyd Rose ?

I think it every bit as good, they were made by Gohto they make excellent hardware.

of coarse these are my opinions.
    Rol.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by sq2:
    Hi,

Yes, that is why they widened it. However, it is not something you can't adapt to. The necks are pure pleasure to play on.

One of my EVH's needeed a switch replacement. Other than that, I think they are fine.

I don't see it like that at all. If anything I find that the switch is out of the way. It all depends on your picking/strumming technique and tapping changeover posi.

I agree with Rol, if you're a Floyd snob, then maybe it won't do, but I believe it's a fine unit.

5. Since the EVH guitar is no longer in production almost no guitar-store carries it. I tried out an Axis Sport last week ( liked it !! ) and within the next two weeks Im gonna try an Axis. Do you think I could risk buying an EVH from Ebay without playing it, if I like the feel of the Axis? ... or are the Axis and the EVH too different?

I bought my first one off of a dude who was selling one on Harmony Central. I met him in person though. The only thing was the trem had been neglected, but the instrument was in fine
    shape, and I had Ernie Ball setup/restore it.

The second one I bought off of Ebay, and I knew it had some dings, but in otherwise great condition. I had Ernie Ball setup/restore this one as well, and yes, you can still tell there are some minor dings, but all in all the top does look immaculate.

I would say if you want one bad enough go for it. Just do your research and if you are not happy with the pictures, as with any auction, or his lack of info, lack of answering questions, don't do it. I would say that most Ebay transactions go pretty smoothly.

If anyone knows a site, where I can get some basic information about the guitar ( dimensions etc. ) - please post the link.

Thank you !
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good post TheMightyCopenHalenII. Gotta agree with you. If you look closely at the front of Ed's quilt top EVH it looks like it was hit by buckshot, it's really dinged up.
    I'm not a fan of basswood guitars anymore, but the original EVH is built solid, no doubt about that.
    Over the 7-8 years or so I used my purple quilt top it took numerous bumps, even accidently dropping off a 6 foot stage in an open case, and I had to replace the toggle switch 3 times over the years. We did outdoor parties at 2:00 am, where the neck was wet with dew, but it still played fine. I kept the neck tung oiled and it's never warped. It's pretty banged up now but it still stays in tune.
    It's retired and I take it out of the case every couple of months but she's still in tune every time.
    I don't think you should worry about keeping a working instrument in pristeen condition.
    You've gotta break that sucker in.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The switch in the way thing is kinda like the volume knob on a Strat, I always have to look down every once in a while to be sure I havent knocked the volume down with my pinky... maybe I should just cut the cursed appendege off so the genuises at Fender wont have to redesign a "classic" [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What you say is very interesting.

Although the guitar has some disadvantages, everybody talks good about it. I mean, the Axis doesnt have the switch problem, some mention, neither the string-come-off problem but almost everybody seems to prefer the original - the EVH guitar - to the Axis.
    I know the EVH guitar is quite expensive, and I recently saw a Brian Moore Custom and a Tom Anderson Drop Top for almost the same price. One of these would be nice, too. Ahhh, I want a guitar and dont know which I actually want ...

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The EVH's are so sought after because they were cut off completely. They are one of most collectable guitars out there. I'll go as far as to say they are the 59 Les Paul or 52 Tele of our generation. They will do nothing but go up in value.