Register
    Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

van halen
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey fellas, i've only played for a couple of months. i recently purchased a used wolf standard, which seems like a damn cool guitar. but there is alot of dirt/grime up and down the neck. the back of the neck is not a problem, just between the frets. just wondering what cleaning materials is best and do you need to take the strings off to do the complete clean job?

Thanks!

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Yes, take the strings off.

As for cleaning,I just use Lemon Pledge or End Dust. I'm cheap. I also take off all the chrome pieces and hose them down with WD-40.

I can hear the gasps now...

[ July 26, 2002, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Axxman300 ]
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.07.15 @ 01:55 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donor

No offense but I would not recomend the above method. If Brett would reply and say why not to take the strings off a Wolfie.... I would say for the time being just slack the strings. Then I would use regular guitar polish. Pledge or other furniture polish have wax in them. Eventually you will get a nasty build up on your guitar.

What I do is spray guitar polish on to the fretboard. I then use a terry cloth towel or wash cloth. The roughness will remove the grime. Don't use the tery cloth on the finished part (IE" Body or headstock...) as it may lightly scratch the finish. If you do remove the strings a problem may be the Floyd Rose bridge may slide back or fall off if the springs in back are not secure. Comments??

P.S. I also wouldn't use WD-40 as it leaves behind a greasy film which will collect dust and grime very quickly. WD-40 may also damage any plastic parts it may touch. I use guitar polish on those parts also. If you have sweat that tends to age strings very quickly, be sure to wipe down your strings and any metal parts your hands come in contact with after playing.

[ July 26, 2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: ETRIGAN ]
    "Why behave in public if you're living on a playground?"

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Before you go taking all the strings off remember to block the trem so it doesn't pop up on you. Or you can do the three strings at a time method.

I've used a NO additive Pledge to clean my Wolf necks for 3 years with no build up. You just have to pay attention to what kind of Pledge you buy. Then I condition the neck with some NO additive lemon oil and it's good as new.

Also, the best way to avoid excessive grime on your fretboard is to wash your hands good before playing and wipe down the strings after playing.

T

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

the first six
    Favorite VH Song

All Dave era songs
    Last Online

05.09.09 @ 09:11 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have always used naphtha(lighter fluid).It cuts the grease and grime like no ones business.It leaves a white film after use,just use a clean cloth and your guitar polish to remove the excess.for the tough grime.use lighter fluid on a toothbrush to get at the space between the fret and fretboard.I just bought a strat copy last monday,and it was abosolutely filthy.used the above described method,and my new baby looks like a millon bucks!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I've never tried the aforementioned methods.

They're right about one thing.....do NOT take off all of the strings at once, unless you have some special method to balance the tremolo. Dude, you will be sorry.

Anyway:

I've used Lemon Oil, including one time where I had to scrub a neck with Cheesecloth, and I was good as gold. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

If you're the dude who said he had a neck that smells like cigar smoke [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] , I'd most definitely use the Lemon Oil.

I bet Peavey would tell you the same. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lemon oil is some good stuff. WD-40 should be outlawed. I have banned it from my workshop except for use w/ a cigarette lighter to kill wasps, ants & various other stinging insects.(don't try this at home). Wd-40 will actually leave a gummy coating that causes things to stick together and not function properly. For general lubrication(get your minds out of the gutter) 3in1 oil can't be beat. A little bit of it goes a very long way on anything that moves, tightens, screws or pivots.
    "Nothing is fool-proof for a sufficiently talented fool."

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I should have said that I take all the hardware off my guitar and spray it elsewhere. It's not something that I do more than every few years and that's because of my proximity to the ocean and salt air. The WD-40 comes off with a lot of cotton balls and rubbing alcohol and the hardware doesn't go back on until I hear my fingers squeek.

I don't reccomend taking off your tremello unless you know what your doing or unless you want to learn the hard way like I did. If you don't have chrome hardware then go with a simple meathod like a good cheese cloth.

I forget that somebody might actually listen to me so ignore the WD-40.

However, my personal philosophy is: If you can't fix it with duct tape and WD-40-by a new one.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ive used wd on my trem with no problems....you just have to make sure you wipe it all off and not to over do it. i only use it every 4 months or so.otherwise ill use guitar polish or just the guitar polish cloth.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Axxman300:

However, my personal philosophy is: If you can't fix it with duct tape and WD-40-by a new one.[/QB]
    actually....

if it moves and it shouldn't, duct tape it

if it doesn't move and it should, WD-40 it [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    Rol.

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

May I correct my earlier post on this? I DO NOT use Pledge, it's no additive ENDUST wood cleaner!
    Can you tell it's been a while since I cleaned and oiled my neck? Thankfully, I did just that Monday and realized I'd given some wrong info. I would never use Pledge on a guitar. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Axxman300:

However, my personal philosophy is: If you can't fix it with duct tape and WD-40-by a new one.
    Now there's a good ole Monterey County Reply...alright!!!

Bein an avid fisherman, WD40 is an absolute necessity, and don't forget the duct tape period.

The only thing I can say, and the dude with the rubbin alcohol post WD-40 had a great point...because if there's any bad thing I can say about WD40, is that it attracts dust.

But cleaning reels ain't conducive to rubbin alcohol, so you just gotta live with it...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!