Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there,

When I play, sometimes it sounds as though I have recorded it inside a biscuit tin. I can hear a "tingy" sound when I attack the strings.

You can hear it within the AC/DC - Highway to Hell clip, as well as the Chuck Berry - Johnny B Goode clip on my site www.dave5150.com (yep, there's the shameless plug).

Bottom line is, I don't like it. So what I'd like to ask you guys is, is it an aspect of my playing, i.e. do I need to change my style of playing, or is it my guitar pick ups (although it occurs on my Ibanez and my Wolfgang) or is it the settings I used (i.e. do I need to turn something down - gain, volume knob, etc.).

I have tried to turn things down and also try to change the way I play, but it still occurs. However, I haven't seen if it occurs when I play into the amp.

Any ideas ?

[ January 13, 2003, 07:49 AM: Message edited by: mondola ]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

I had to drastically change my setup while recording. It killed me because I was so used to the particular sound I had, but recording was all mush. Experiment with what you have. I actually had better results when I ran my amp striaght to my sound card. I still had control of the sound theough the amp as well as the feedback I wanted (most of the time )...

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    I had to drastically change my setup while recording. It killed me because I was so used to the particular sound I had, but recording was all mush. Experiment with what you have. I actually had better results when I ran my amp striaght to my sound card. I still had control of the sound theough the amp as well as the feedback I wanted (most of the time )...
    Cheers, el_jalapeno ! I may try through the amp and into the soundcard. Especially with the mic because the level is really low just plugging it directly into the soundcard.

But I'll try through the amp and see if this "aluminium-ting" is still present.

Thanks for the help !

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.22.13 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

mondola,

I listened to those clips to see if I could hear what you are talking about, and I don't hear it. It sounds fine to me. Maybe I just didn't understand your description. It's probably just a matter of the recording more than your playing. I've also noticed that when I record something and then listen to it, you hear all kinds of things that you don't necessarily hear while you're playing it, and I tend to be over critical of myself when I listen back. I'm sure you hear it, but most people probably don't. I didn't anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img] Can you be more specific?

Eric

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Originally posted by coolez:
    mondola,

I listened to those clips to see if I could hear what you are talking about, and I don't hear it. It sounds fine to me. Maybe I just didn't understand your description. It's probably just a matter of the recording more than your playing. I've also noticed that when I record something and then listen to it, you hear all kinds of things that you don't necessarily hear while you're playing it, and I tend to be over critical of myself when I listen back. I'm sure you hear it, but most people probably don't. I didn't anyway. [img]smile.gif[/img] Can you be more specific?

Eric
    Hi Eric,

I've had a listen to them again myself. The sound I'm describing only seems to be present on the snippets that have distortion on them. It's not present with any clean(ish) tones. So maybe it is down to my settings. But then again, using distortion does amplify any mistakes in your playing...

On Heavy, within the pick attacks, there seems to be an underlying scrapy, scratchy, what I can only describe as a "biting on aluminium" type sound. It's most evident around the 20 sec mark. I can hear it more clearly during the times when I am palm muting.

On Highway To Hell, about 30 secs in when I am palm muting on the E chord, it is again more evident. Once again, I am palm muting. I get the real chuggy sound, but there's also an undertone of scratchy, scrapiness...

On Indian, whenever I pick the first notes of a pull off/hammer on, I can hear the same noise, but I am not palm muting here.

On Johnny B Goode, during the 12 bar stuff at the end you (well I) can hear the undertone again.

And also, within shaker, on all the picked notes at the start there is that undertone. Again, it is evident when I am palm muting around the 30 secs mark (the squeal at the 50 secs mark is just down to bad playing on my part [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img] ).

I hope you don't think I'm being egotistical and trying to get you all to listen to my stuff, cuz I'm not like that. It's just that I'd like to know why this noise is happening. Of course, once I do discover what I am doing to make this sound and find out a way to stop doing it, I'm going to want to be able to do it again, only to find out I can't .

[ January 13, 2003, 12:17 PM: Message edited by: mondola ]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mondola, are you playing directly into the sound card or going through pedals first, or is it a signal from your tape recorder into the computer?
    Homeunit's done a lot of different recording projects so he'd be the one to approach on this, but just to get my 2 cents in it could possibly be your sound card not able to handle the signal.
    The signal directly from your guitar might be too hot.
    The windows media recorder isn't great to begin with.
    If you go to www.tucows.com there are better recorders that you can adjust as far as input volume, and some are free.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It would help to know exactly what your setup is.

Tribb makes an interesting point if your using your Tape recorder to go into the PC. I've done that before, using some pretty decent software, and I cringe when I think of some of the sounds. Whether you are using it as a mixer OR recording it first onto casette and then transferring it to PC is also something that would be useful to know.

Bad mic placement, a piss poor mic, and a combination of both can all be culprits. But until I know what your exact setup is, it's hard to say.

Tribb also said something that you might be using Windows Media Recorder. Dude, I'd say that's a damn good place to start on your quest of ridding yourself of this evil tinfoil which is creating some bad mojo for you.
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Cheers for the responses guys.

Yeah, I have been using the Windows Sound Recorder for the majority of the ideas. This is solely because I used it at first to make sure that I could get a sound into the P.C.

I then used the evaluation version of Cool Edit Pro, but I didn't get round to cracking it, and it ran out on me. I then went back to Windows Sound Recorder once again.

However, I've now got the cracks for Cool Edit Pro, so I will try again with this to see it stops the sound.

Setup is :

Guitar -&gt; Cable -&gt; Zoom505 II pedal -&gt; Cable -&gt;Soundcard

I put the cables in here, because I could probably do with buying some new ones as well.

Now, someone did suggest that I don't use my pedal at all. I should record as clean a signal as possible into the P.C. Then I can do post effects processing on it. Then, if I don't like the effect, I can go back to the clean signal and change it. But if I use the pedal, then I'm stuck with whatever it sends in.

I'll try using Cool Edit Pro first, and see it this corrects this tin-foil Mojo !

But once again, CHEERS GUYS !!!

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]