Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

01.08.05 @ 11:08 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Okay, I was having a conversation with Brett out on the main page and it trailed into how I don't have clue 1 about guitars. He suggested I go in here and ask you.

Now I'm not talking about owning and playing just right now, that could very well be brought up later, but first let me ask... What are the basics?

And by that I mean all I know about guitars is what they sound like and what they look like

Oh yeah, I kinda know the difference between an accustic and electric (um, distortion or something in the electric if you want it, er, yeah, something...)

ANY information would be much appreciated.

Stuff No More, who wishes they made a book called Guitars for Dummies

------------------
    "That's How it Is When You Tell the Truth"
    --------
    "Take your vitamin "T" with salt 'n lemon slice ..."
    UP FRONT FANATIC!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ohhhh Ohhhh .... YUNNNKKKK ... ya know Stuff no more : I started to play the guitar on an old classic guitar , but when i realized that I couldn't play a lot of Van Halen on it ( except for spanish fly ) i decided to buy an electric guitar , and now I got 4 electric guitar ( my wolfie is of 1996 and someone told me that it's rare 'cause of the year-made ) ...
    BTW ... If you wanna a quite good electric guitar you may start with a fender stratocaster ... it's versatile , but for playing hard-rock stuff it's better change the pick up on the bridge , with a seymor-duncan ( I like the hot rails series ... they smokes !!! ) ...
    For the amp ... if u don't wanna spend a lot of money on a head with tubes , u may start with a Marshall valvestate ! It's good : it got 3 channels ( clean , crunch and lead ) ... the lead one is quite good 'cause it got a little pre-tubes just for get a quite good distortion with any effects ! ... Btw ... the valvestate played live they clip at high volumes , and this due to the little tube on pre that is too less for a big volume !!! ...
    Ok ... that's all for now ! Let me know if u wanna more details !! YUNNNKK

Eddie_italian from Italy

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 07:55 AM
    Liked 11,541 Times in 4,916 Posts

I'm not even sure Stuff knows what pickups are Eddie yet. Better start him real slow.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ahhh ... ok Brett ! ... I'll send him by mail a pic of a pick-up of my strato ! ... you right ! ... it's like when I make school lessons of guitar ! ... sometimes , when I talk to the kids they don't realize what I'm meaning ! ... The music language sometimes is not abbordable from the first day that u keep a guitar ! ... u right Brett !

Eddie_italian from Italy

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.10.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    I been learning to play now for 2 or 3 months, and I'm proud to say I can pick my guitar up up and put it on - facing the right way (strings facing out right?) - nearly every time!

------------------
    A little zen... Headed your way...

[This message has been edited by Goo (edited May 18, 2000 at 02:35 PM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

"Dance the Night Away"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hey Stuff No More- This is my best advice for a beginner:

1)Get a cheap acoustic and learn on that first. Learn the name of the strings, starting from the low "E" to the high "E". A good way to remember the names of the strings is by taking the first letter of each word in this sentence:

"Eat A Darn Good Breakfast Everyday."

(EADGBE)

2)Get a tuner to tune each of your strings. If you play the piano, you can do it from there. If you can't afford either, buy a pitch pipe. (You hum in to each little designated pipe like a harmonica and tune each string along with the hum until they sound the same.)

3) The reason it is good to start with the acoustic is because it will make chords a lot easier to play when you eventually switch to the electric and you will be able to hear your chords cleanly and correctly. That choice is yours still.

4) Learn some major chords. Learn the proper finger placement of these chords and practice strumming them. Then once you got the feel for the chords. Try switching from one chord to another. If you know of a teacher or someone who has been playing guitar for a long time, ask them to show you how to string a guitar, how to tune it, and how to play an "A", "G", D" chord. If not, try to play along with an instructional tape and constantly rewind and do the same thing over and over until you nail it down. You will do it!

You can't build Rome in a day so crawl before you can walk. Learn the parts of the guitar first. ( Headstock, neck, bridge, fret, tuning pegs,etc.) It is a gradual process that will bring you a lifetime of happiness if you stick with it.

Whatever you do . . .never put it off for a long period of time or you'll be lost. Make it a regular habit to practice strumming, playing chords,and tell yourself the name of the chords and the names of the strings.

Hope it helps . . .

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey ... Goo ... u r a talent !!! ... I don't really know if u r joking or not , BTW ... U r for sure a talent guy !

Eddie_italian from Italy

Last Online

08.10.15 @ 07:37 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member
    Yeah, what Georgie said.

I just put a post in "Just Starting Out" thread, hope that helps.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Georgie ! u r right ! ... I wanna learn from you ! ... Just kidding sorry ! BTW ... I'm totally agree with your post ! ... Great ... !!!

Eddie_italian from Italy

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Stuff, listen to Georgie. He's given you excellent advice.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Neato I went digging in my parents' closet and found the old accustic (sp?) Mom always meant to learn how to play, so I'm happy to say I now have a guitar

Only problem is it is in DESPERATE need of care... two of the strings (A and D I think from Georgie's comment) are broken and need replacement. We have some "teach yourself guitar" books, so I've got that, plus my friend's mom has been playing for a while, as has my cousin, so they can always show me the chords, I suppose.

Hmm... but I'm still a TOTAL beginner here

------------------
    --------
    UP FRONT FANATIC!

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Take your "new" guitar down to the local music shop and have them put some new stings on it. Ask them to just make sure that everythings in working order.

Most of the time they'll only charge you a couple of bucks for stringing it up and giving it the "once over" and that way you'll be sure that nothing's "working against you."

Good luck

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks. I'll probably head down there with my friend on Saturday and have that thing done over.

------------------
    --------
    UP FRONT FANATIC!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Stuff No More ! ... If u r starting playing the acoustic guitar ( good choice BTW ) make sure that don't use hard picks , but medium or less ! The picks are those pieces that u use for play the chords in the guitar , using it from the thumb and index !
    If u got problem with tuning the guitar I may send you a file with the tuning stuff made by me in mp3 , so u may listen to it and tune your guitar when u have to do ! This if u don't wanna buy a tuner !
    Then don't get stressed when you're playing , I mean ... starting is difficult , so u have to find some simply excercies for your right hand , that finally give ya the tempo with your leg ! Don't worry if at the beginning the leg don't work with your right hand , it's question of time ! It will !
    For starting , is better don't do Van Halen song , but something of more simple ! ... Learn the chords ( A,B,C,D .... ) first and then start to play songs , or sequences of chords that in your mind may sounds good ! ... Keep all as a game ! Don't get fustrated if at the beginning you don't feel the tempo ... it will come with time and a little bit of practise ! ...
    Ok ... Stuff No More ... I wanna try to help ya , but with my poor american I can't express all the stuff that I wanna tell you !
    ok ... bye my friend !

Eddie_italian from Italy

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys and friends, you gotta get paid here before people finds your tips too well worth!
    Guitar methods won't sell anymore when people will discover this thread!
    I want to add up another suggestion to this:
    I started playing guitar 12 years ago, but I learned really a HUGE lot of informations and tips playing the bass.
    You will only need to play the lowest 4 strings, and practice them without using any picks. Then try to learn the bass lines of the songs. You will gain in "hearing" the music, and "feelin'" it. Also you will build up a good right hand, even if it's a different technique from the typical strumming. It will give you more notions about the chord, the fundamental chords for the song and how to build them up from scratch. When you will get this basics, fundamentals, you can really stretch a bit starting to learn about scales, hexatonal, penthatonic, modes, music genres, fingerings, improvisations, and everything you will want to focus.
    But never give up if you are in trouble building a chord. Don't give troubles to your fingers, when you hear pain stop it and give yourself a break. Try learning the simpler songs first. Add in and there some licks from your fav players! I played bass, guitar and now I'm a drummer (for 8 years). I always love to hear guitarists that are good at keepin' rhythm but can jam to what you want!