Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

11.04.13 @ 09:31 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

you guys wouldn't believe how good i am already
    but really, i can already tune my guitar and am working on the ascending and descending c scale using the first 3 frets and all six strings...
    i can pretty much nail it going down the strings, but i am working on going back up with a few minor problems...
    i can see where it can get frustrating at times, but over all i'm still pretty excited...
    i try to get in at least a full 30 minutes a day of legitimate practice, and usually spend another 30 to 60 minutes playing with tone and effects on the amp...
    i have already figured out guitar tablature, but i ain't got any books with it yet...

any advice on any other beginner's learning tapes, video cassettes, books or anything else would be appreciated...

rock on buds... i'm still a few light years behind ya'll but i'll be there eventually!!!
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

...Dave

[img]smile.gif[/img]

[ January 06, 2002 at 08:57 PM: Message edited by: Dave G 5150 ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

Thats so awsome. You got a good attitude too.

I'd try to nail down some full major chords next and practice transitioning between them for 10-15 minutes of your practice for a while. Pluck around a little on each, transition, repeat. You will start hearing parts of songs that are familiar too you that way and it will encourage you that much more.
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

btw, I dont even know what a "C scale" is, so your light years ahead of me too. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

I think I'll hit unit or tribb up for a lesson soon. [img]smile.gif[/img]
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Gunter glieben glauchen globen

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Since you mention the first three frets I think you're talking about arpeggiating a C chord rather than playing a scale in C. Anyhow, all progress is good progress. Getting past the initial pain that your fingers can take is a big step. It takes different people different amounts of time.

Just from learning from my own experiences, and wishing sometimes that "Wow, I wish I would have done this in the first place."

I suggest a variety of learning methods:

-Learning By Ear
    -Tab/Music
    -Jamming
    -Even "faking" songs with chords, single note lines, and bar chords can make your learning process more enjoyable.

And I can't stress the importance of these next 2 acquisitions enough:

-Get a metronome. Not absolutely necessary, but I think even players that have never used one might be amazed at what it can do for the playing.

-Invest in a drum machine. You can get a cheap one at your music store, or a pretty decent brand new drum machine for a reasonable price. Again, this will hone your rhythym chops, and more importantly, take out some of the monotony out of practice.

Once you get to a point where you feel comfortable, challenge yourself and play along to your favorite records, noting the player's tone and nuances.

For now yes, I would take seenbad's advice and practice chord changes.

As far as tab books, straightforward Cherry Lane, especially if you want to learn some Halen, which I sure as hell am assuming. Guitar World magazine used to have better columns about five years ago, like Wild Stringdom. Their still might be some useful columns today.

ROCK ON MAN!
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Top Of The World
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Keep that great attitude! And finding those rough bumps in the road can be frustrating, but once you get past them it's an amazing thing. You learn that you can get through anything, and once you learn your first "cover" song you will be blown away and want to learn more more more. Just keep practicing and practicing. I've been playing for a long time and still manage to get in atleast 4 to 6 hours a day in and still manage to learn something new every time without realizing it at the time. Just remember, there is never too much to learn. Keep rockin'!
    And beyond the horizon.... a sound was heard.

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Fuck it. I'm sorry man, but sometimes I wish someone to point on the errors or shortcuts in my playing.

I'd just like to make a list of shit not to do, not all of which, I might add, I was guilty of. I just get hyped off of new people learning the guitar, and want their experience to be as kickass as possible.

DON'T:

-Finger your chords weakly and say fuck it. Be precise, and practice your chord changes till you have em in no time flat. Unless your a jazz cat, "House of the Rising Son" A minor, C, D, F Major, could be a great song for you to practice some basic and essential rock chords, if your familiar with the Animals that is. Suspended, broken, and variations on these chords will come later, and will prove limitless in your chord vocabulary.

DO: Follow up on something if you fuck up in a chord change or lead passage and find yourself saying "What the hell did I just do there?" Be advised, these ideas can be lost like a wet dream, so be sure and remember them if you think they should be part of your repertoire. Kind of repeating this sentiment, but...Mistakes can turn out to be inherent in your signature riffs, and even song ideas. So don't be too pissed if you fuck up.

We'll just stick to rhythym for now, and I hope you stick with it man. Best of Luck, TMCII
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

The part that really caught my attention was that you spend alot of time messing with your tone & effects... BRAVO! It took me YEARS to figure out EXACTLY the way I wanted to sound... & you never really 100% nail it, but you always can get pretty damn close!
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Try learning the chords of the scales you are working on. Chords are just as important as single notes.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dave, it's great to hear you're still encouraged, and going at it every day.
    There's some good advice above, but for the next 2 or 3 weeks I believe you should just keep doing what you've been doing without worrying about video tapes. At this stage they won't tell you anything you don't already know. After you've played a few more weeks of scales and you're a bit more comfortable on the neck, your learning curve will shorten and you'll begin to learn faster. That's when you'll be able to start following tab. without getting too frustrated.
    If you're going to start leaning chords, and that's probably a good idea at this stage, find some tab., or tab book that shows you chords in the form of triads. That allows you to find the same chords all over the neck and will give you a better understanding of "mapping " your neck.
    That will really come in handy in the next few weeks.
    At this stage it's also good to start practicing your vibrato. Use your first, second, and 3rd finger, one at a time, to stretch a note and vibrato it "slowly". That tends to be a bit painful at first, but will toughen up your fingers and muscles needed for playing, faster over the next few weeks.
    Remember, it's very important to force yourself to vibrato slowly. That will give the notes more of a voice. I've heard too many guys stretch notes and vibrato them so it sounds like a goat bleating.
    That's really irritating to listen to.
    Once you've got a better understanding of the neck, and the scales are easier to play and smoother, then start using a metronome to play them to.
    You're still in the very early stages of learning, so don't rush. Let your hands progress at their own speed, and give the muscles in your hand a chance to build up naturally.
    That way you'll be able to play longer and learn more complex things. Teaching your hands what your mind wants them to do is a slow process at first. Let it come naturally, as it's different for everyone.
    As you progress, keep checking in so we can throw more bullshit at you. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Good advise so far...

I'd throw in these:

When you head down to pick up some guitar videos and books-make shure some of those books are sheet music of your favorite albums and or artists. I got major mileage when I was starting out because I had the music books for things like KISS Alive II and Ted Nugent and Cheap Trick. You learn faster playing music you like.

Divide you practice into serious and fun parts and make the fun part longer.

Keep the time you spend exploring your settings seperate. You're going to spend hours fooling around with that stuff and then one day, some guy who's been playing longer is going to show you settings that he's found and you'll end up liking them better anyway.

Make contacts, find guys to jam with.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for all the great advice, guys...
    i gotta admit, a lot of the "terminology" is still a bit over my head, but i'll get it all figured out...

one thing i keep noticing... advice to strengthen my fingers and hand muscles... hopefully i'm already a few steps ahead on that, since i've been a mechanic for years i've already got pretty tough hands...

the tone thing is cool for me, also, cause i've been running mixing boards at my church for years... it seems to have helped my ear, too...

since my wife is quite the accomplished pianist, i already got access to her musical knowledge, support... and her metronome (sp?)...

well, off to practice [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

peace...
    ...Dave

Last Online

01.15.07 @ 05:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

May I add that you should get a metronome once you really start to get your scales down. It will greatly improve your timing and speed later on. It's a must have when working on finger exercises.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bumpin this up, so that hopefully Dave G is keepin with it and getting ready for week 3.

I seriously believe every human on earth should learn to play a musical instrument (though guitars will always be my first suggestion)

Dave, (i'm betting most here will agree) the guitar is the most expressive musical instrument next to the human voice. Keep with it and you will have an extention of you for life. Not only that it's a built in stress reliever and bringer of incredible joy. EVH didn't make the famous quote "Next best thing to sex" about playing the six string for nuthin!

Wish you all the peace and luck with your quest to learn

GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

okay... here's the deal...
    i've got the "c-scale" down pretty quick and smooth, now i'm up to working on 3 basic chords: the a, d, and e chords...
    i see where this gets a little tough...
    but , i also thought the scale was tough first few times thru it...
    now as soon as i can learn where these chords are, i've gotta practice shifting from chord to chord...
    still trying to put in 30 min. to an hour every day...
    having a lot of fun with the overdrive and effects on the amp, too (i.e. driving my wife crazy... hehehehe)...
    gotta keep working on proper hand position, i seem to lay on the bottom string with my palm some how, slightly muting it's sound...
    all in all, it's going pretty well... at least i'm not discouraged.... yet [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

peace...
    ...Dave

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

feel your love tonight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

this is still pretty cool...
    going pretty slow with learning to change from chord to chord, but i'm still not discouraged...
    **had to get headphones to plug into the amp, for my wife's sanity**
    still having fun and enjoying playing with all the different settings and effects...

...Dave
    [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]