Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Friends,

Has anybody tried one of these pedals? Looking to take my blackface fender to OD tonal heaven. Can't get that OD naturally without breaking windows.

Thanks for your feedback.

BTW, I've already done the Boss, Danelectro, TS-9 versions. Looking for the holy grail of Overdrive pedals. Thanks for your help.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

My Band
    Baluchitherium

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I do not like to use these pedals . The tone and drive I give to my cabs are from the tubes of my 5150 !
    I just need , if playing live , a compressor ... 'cause finally i got too feedback arounf me ! This help me to control beeter my guitar at high volumes ! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] YUNNNKKKKKK [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    The biggest Van halen fan from italy and ... of course ... the Yuuunnkkk creator !!

my youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackWol...0?feature=mhum

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The 5150 compresses the shit out of your sound as it is. There's no sensetivity of attack on those amps at all. You can pick light or pick heavy, and it still sounds the same.
    There's very few pedals you can use on a 5150, cause unless you're going straight in to the preamp, just about everything sounds like shit through the loop.
    They're fine for Van halen runs at full volume, but once you realize there's other types of music you might want to play, the 5150 is a poor choice for anything else.
    Try putting a strat through one, or playing it at low volume, or turn the pre, and post gain down and see what it sounds like at low volumes. Completely flat and lifeless.
    And what happens when you turn the pre gain up and the post gain down.
    Sounds like a beehive in full swing.
    A 5150 is not a good amp to test pedals with.
    Those sheffield speakers have got to be the worst speakers I've ever heard.
    I used a 5150 half stack for over 5 years, and a 5150 combo for another year, trying just about every combination I could think of, untill I finally came up with the best compromise.
    Keep the pedals, and ditch the amp. It did the trick.
    Strato, the voodoo pedals, although a little pricey are great, soundwise. If you're using a strat, that voodoo sparkle pedal sounds really good.
    Try getting an overdrive(not distortion) pedal that just boosts the guitar's signal to your preamp, and lets the amp naturally distort. Unfortunately there's no holy grail of OD pedals cause all our ears are different.
    That being said, I'm trying to get a particular OD pedal for my blues amp at the mnoment, and until I've got it in my grubby little fingers I don't want to say what it is. I don't want the competition. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I think I'm close. Got a Fulltone on the way, I'll review it for you all later. Using an old Boss Super Overdrive right now, sounds amazing. No tonal coloration, just sounds like my Bandmaster turned louder.

I really considered the Voodoo labs, but the Fulltone has a boost feature, which is a big plus not having a dirty channel.

Take care, music is one of very few things that can help the world right now. Let's play.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Tribb
    Maybe you should tell us how you REALLY feel about the 5150's! hehe

I couldn't agree more with you. I had mine for close to 5 years as well and never dialed in a great tone with it. I ended up using my lead channel as my main tone. I had to dail back the gain and CRANK the fucker to get a usable tone, and even then it was only good for balls out stuff.

I found that the sparkle drive allows you to boost your volume without colouring your tone. It's great if you need that sort of thing [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

I haven't tried any vintage pedals but out of the Boss S/O, Tubescreamer, RATT, variety the sparkle drive sounds the best to me.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LOL, I know Tribb and Homeunit were posting to make a point but I still thought those posts were funny. Does anyone besides Eddie have anything good to say about those amps?? [img]smilies/devil.gif[/img]

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Wow,

Got the Fulldrive 2 pedal. Amazing, no tonal coloration at all, just sounds like my old Bandmaster cranked, but at a reasonable volume. It's only been about an hour, but I a/b'd it against everything I had in the studio, TS9, Daddy O, Super Overdrive etc. Nothing can touch it.

HomeUnit, I would have liked to try the Sparkle Drive, and maybe I will, but I wanted the 2 channels of the Fulldrive.

My recommendation, you'll like a Fulldrive if, and only if, you like how your amp sounds now, as it will not change the sound of the amp. It's like having a gain button.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Awesome Strato, glad it worked out for you!

I'll try one of them things sometime, the only problem is with the amp I have now, I don't need any gain devices.

You say it has 2 channels? That's kinda nifty, can you get two different tones out of it?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Not necessarily two different tones, but you can get two different distortion levels and two different volume levels. It's more like a controllable boost feature than a separate channel.

You'd just be playing along with the band rythm wise using the OD in normal, and when it comes time for your big hair mullet super solo, hit the boost button.

It makes my one channel amp a 3 channel amp. I had a 3 channel Peavey Ultra just before I bought my Bandmaster, and it was good, but the clean tone and vibe just wasn't there. It had gain out the window, but was sterile. Now, I've got arguably the nicest clean tones available, with 2 channels of OD. I'm missing one thing, however, and that's some type of super heavy distortion/fuzz. The Fulltone won't go there, so I'll try to lay my hands on a Big Muff for that.

Take care, music may be the only thing that can save the world, keep playing.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

03.29.15 @ 06:33 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Check out the ADDROCK "Ol Yeller".
    Addrock.com or MusicToyz.com.
    It is quite awesome as an overdrive with NO tone coloring.
    "I Got Myself a Brand New Oakland Scarf right here I say"