Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get That Stuff No More
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey! I downloaded a video clip from one of VH's mid-80s tours (either FW or 1984) and when they played Little Guitars, EVH was busting out what appeared to be minature replicas of Les Pauls and Strats to play the song with. Does anyone know more about this or the instruments EVH was playing??

I found it astounding that he could play the song so perfectly with those mini-guitars, not to mention the creativity of that idea.
    DIAMOND MAFIA FOREVER!<br /><br />"...How many times can somebody lie 'till patience runs its course..."<br /><br />DAVE AND SAMMY '02...DARE I SAY, "THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, PT. II"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

04.20.05 @ 02:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Let's see if the guitar peeps know anything...
    RLRR LRLL

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I read in an interview from GW that Vh were on the Fair warning tour and there was this guy called Dave Petschulat sitting on the steps outside the hotel in Memphis; he gave Eddie the guitar he used on LG. It was a perfect replica of an older Les Paul but it was one third in size (quote from the interview!). Because of the different size of the fretboard it sounds higher in pitch (...at least this is what I think).
    Ciao
    [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by seicorde:
    I read in an interview from GW that Vh were on the Fair warning tour and there was this guy called Dave Petschulat sitting on the steps outside the hotel in Memphis; he gave Eddie the guitar he used on LG. It was a perfect replica of an older Les Paul but it was one third in size (quote from the interview!). Because of the different size of the fretboard it sounds higher in pitch (...at least this is what I think).
    Ciao
    [img]smile.gif[/img]
    Yea, I remember that interview. He has talked about that little guitar a few times. It is actually tuned normally. Ed used to say that because of the short neck (and therefore a different (less) string tension) and the lack of mass on the body, the tone was really bad. He hated the tone, but he liked the gimmick so much that he used it for a few tours. I remember them playing the song in LA on the 1984 tour and Ed used his standard guitar.

[ May 01, 2002 at 10:42 AM: Message edited by: tripoutski ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

yeah thats pretty much right. the guy manufactured the chaquita guitar too. its totally custom .i thinks after getting the guitar eddie wrote "little guitars" from being inspired by it(the little les paul) . i think he made guitars for zz top too and billy gibbons hooked him and ued up or something. its to bad the 1/3 guitars out now are just gimick guitars and are shit,you could probablty have some fun with a good guitar of that size.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Can\'t Get That Stuff No More
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

THANKS for the info. Very cool trick back when VH was energetic, interesting and innovative.

Are you guys under the impression from the article that EVH recorded the studio version of the song on these guitars, or did he use his regular instruments??

The live version sounded EXACTLY like the studio version and he used the little guitars on that version.
    DIAMOND MAFIA FOREVER!<br /><br />"...How many times can somebody lie 'till patience runs its course..."<br /><br />DAVE AND SAMMY '02...DARE I SAY, "THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH, PT. II"

Existentially Uncertain Fontcow's Avatar
    Last Online

03.13.17 @ 07:58 PM
    Liked 868 Times in 463 Posts

The first place I saw one of these "little guitars" is on Heart's Greatest Hits Live, which was released in 1980. In the band photo on the back cover, Nancy Wilson (at least, I think the other guitarist in the band is holding one too) is holding a Les Paul replica mini-guitar. I'm trying to find a copy of the back cover of this album on the Net and cannot pin one down -- perhaps I'll scan my old record this evening.

Anyway, this pre-dates "Diver Down" in 1982, so I'm not sure where these guitars originate. Since I sort of remember seeing one at a music store back then too, I'm thinking that maybe Gibson made these as a novelty back in the late 70s, early 80s?

Favorite VH Album

All of em, except for III
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to name
    Last Online

07.16.12 @ 10:56 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by DemonDLR:
    THANKS for the info. Very cool trick back when VH was energetic, interesting and innovative.

Are you guys under the impression from the article that EVH recorded the studio version of the song on these guitars, or did he use his regular instruments??

The live version sounded EXACTLY like the studio version and he used the little guitars on that version.
    From the interviews I've read, Eddie used the "Petschulat" Guitar for the intro, and the original Strat for the rest of the tune...
    FUCK THE DUMB SHIT!!!!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From the interviews I've read, Eddie used the "Petschulat" Guitar for the intro, and the original Strat for the rest of the tune...

He used the "Petschulat" Guitar for the fingerpicked riff throughout the song. He used Franky to overdub the outtro.
    "So...The musician's dog comes in two hours late, gets the two other dogs pregnant, and leaves an hour early..."

Eruption
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 01:28 PM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

Rick S. . .Dave Petschulat wasn't the guy behind the Chiquita. It was Mark Erlewine in Austin, TX that invented and still builds today the Chiquita. I owned one a few years ago. Petschulat didn't really produce more than a few of the mini les pauls. Trust me, I've searched.
    www.facebook.com/revery
    If you like cool, rock music, check out REVERY. We've put out two albums, and an EP. We were signed back in '06 and toured the US (our single Popstar Wedding was all over the radio back then). Our latest album, Adora De Phonic is available on Itunes, Amazon, etc.