Register
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Homey gets credit for the inspiration for this thread witha comment he made in the "by ear" thread. (here ya Go man, have a cookie... LOL )

Anyhoo - he mentioned that he likes hearing players that can get the vibe of a song but add a nice twist to it.

I've been in my share of cover bands in the past, and I was wondering which solos are you most proud of that you "re-engineered" to make then better? I can give a few examples myself, but I'll throw one out there for now to get the ball rolling..

A few years back I was in a band that did a lot of female material and we did Scandal's "Goodbye To YOU (ha ha ha ha ha [img]tongue.gif[/img] ). Anyway, if you remember the original song , there was a dinky organ solo (factoid: Paul Schaffer from David Letterman provided that solo on the song). Well, I wrote a kick ass solo for it that was remiscent of Jeff Watson's climbimg passages during the solo of Night Ranger's "Don't Tell Me You Love Me". I think that if they had used a solo more like what I did, the song wouldn't have been so fluffy to begin with. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

Anybody else?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Hmmm...
    Long Train Runnin, outro to Mean Street, Smoke On The Water(I try to retain the spirit of the solo/song), and I like playing the harmonics on P.O.M.'s Blurry.
    I also like playing solos to Somebody Get Me A Doctor, Feel Your Love Tonight, and Little Dreamer but I try to stay pretty close to the hem on those.
    I get a bigger bone for cool rhythm parts, especially when the rhythm section is 'on'. Waitin on the Bus and Won't Get Fooled Again are good examples of this.
    Fave singin songs are any Beatles, NB's How You Remind Me, Smoke On The Water, and, ya gotta love Hash Pipe!
    I know, more info than ya wanted but I'm bored right now... [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Atomic Punk
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

You\'re Kidding,right?
    Last Online

05.31.14 @ 08:17 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What about solos played while dead?

No,well... to answer the question, just about anything I did to Hall & Oates was an improvement. We did an extended solo at the end of Bryan Adam's "Take Me Back" that was fun because the chord progression under it is so cool.
    I used to do a blazing solo on "Day Tripper" that was fun. We used to play "Hold The Line" by Toto and I stuck to the original solo.

If the solo stank, I didn't play it. The fun challenge was the songs where the solos were played by another instrument. We covered "Heart Of Rock'n Roll" by Huey Lewis and that has a sax solo and learning it was fun and I stuck to it live.
    "Nothing is ever what it seems but everything is exactly what it is." - B. Banzai

My Blog:

http://axxman300tool.blogspot.com/

http://www.myspace.com/axxman300

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't laugh, but a band I was in re-wrote the lyrics and rearranged the song 'My favorite things' from sound of music.
    The lead I put together for it consisted of a worked out part which led into an impro and evertime we played it, it fell together perfectly!
    The lyrics sort of implied that it was hard to have 'favorite things' any more with the world in the state it was in.
    The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later
    Last Online

01.07.12 @ 11:23 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Houseofpain and I do a revamped version of La Bamba on Saturday nights at church with the little kids. And we both throw in solos. His is more of a traditional style blues solo, while mine tends to not always be the same. It's a fun song to jam to though, I start it off by either playing the Twist and Shout intro or by playin power chord G, C, D and then playing the harmonics of the D for the fill.

[ January 16, 2003, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: redfire ]
    Eat Us and Smile!

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

1984 by far
    Favorite VH Song

hot for teacher
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Mine's gotta be Hot for Teacher.
    I graduated high school last year, and last May I was in the talent show. I hadn't ever been in one before, but I was getting pissed because every time it was mostly kids trying to rap... and people liked it. So I got my friend to play drums and we just did the stuff like I BROUGHT MY PENCIL.......... NOW GIMME SOMETHING TO WRITE ON, and did the song instrumental. I updated his solo to be more F.U.C.K eddie, with some of those tapped out harmonics and stuff... basically it was one of the highlights of my life so far. We didn't win because apparently the judges didn't appreciate our intro which was:
    Van Halen, Iron Maiden, and Molly Hatchet couldn't be here tonight. But they all had sex, and gave birth to us. ok thats my story.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Light Up The Sky
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chikntenders, that intro is too funny!

OK,
    Back in the day when I played out, I usually didn't stray too far from the records, but we were playing fusion instrumentals which not many people knew so I guess I could've played whatever and gotten away with it.

Some of the more memorable songs with solos
    Steve Morse - On the Pipe ( whole fricking tune is a solo )
    Jeff Beck - She's a Woman
    Beck again - Freeway Jam, now that's a fun tune to let loose on.

By the way sorry for the long absence, I've been travelling a lot in my job and I only get on this site about once or twice a week. Glad to see Tribb and Home keeping the fret flames burning.

Peace
    GH4L
    "Choose Wisely"