Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Last Online

06.24.09 @ 01:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Hello,

I'm the owner of a Fender Deluxe (MIM) Double Fat Stratocaster with Floyd Rose. Wood is alder. Pickups are Tex-Mex Humbuckers. Sound is lifeless, boring and muffled with little to no sustain.
    (This is relative to my...) $100 1980's Japanese Stratocaster I got off ebay. It is Basswood (I believe) with an unknown humbucker in the bridge, rear routing and a parts missing Kahler bridge which I have blocked so that it's a hardtail.
    Question is...? Which humbucker will sound warmer in my alder guitar w/floyd. Which humbucker will sustain longer, sound richer and have a touch more punch. (Hot pickups, no thanks, had a wolfgang, way too hot and muddy sounding.)

Any recommendation welcome. Sustain being the feature I miss most going from my fancy guitar to the cheapie. Isn't that crazy, cheapo cast-away guitar sounds better than my fancy one, to the point where it's become my number 1.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Also, should have mentioned. Existing setup is really too bright. Guitar, alder/floyd with Tex-Mex humbucker is tinny bright. Next pickups could stand to be warmer. thanks again.
    You know the best tone I ever had was with that little bandmaster cranked to 10. Edward Van Halen, 1980, Guitar Player Magazine.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Anything is going to be warmer than a Tex-Mex humbucker.

I believe (but am not positive) that particular pickup either has boosted upper-mids or treble, or even both. Ouch!

Tribb & HomeUnit are no doubt going to mention the Seth Lover, but you need a wax-potted humbucker, any way you cut it.

If you're really into the vintage thing, try a potted-Seth, or an EVH pickup from Duncan's Custom Shop.

Something with a little more meat, and more output, while still being ridiculously warm would be a Duncan Custom Custom.

The Custom Custom might be the ticket, although I'm not sure if "rich" is the right word for it. I dunno. Maybe to you it would be muddy.

And no, I'm not Tribb or Rols, but I figured if you truly *only* wanted their opinions, you'd have emailed em'.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    Anything is going to be warmer than a Tex-Mex humbucker.

I believe (but am not positive) that particular pickup either has boosted upper-mids or treble, or even both. Ouch!

Tribb & HomeUnit are no doubt going to mention the Seth Lover, but you need a wax-potted humbucker, any way you cut it.

If you're really into the vintage thing, try a potted-Seth, or an EVH pickup from Duncan's Custom Shop.

Something with a little more meat, and more output, while still being ridiculously warm would be a Duncan Custom Custom.

The Custom Custom might be the ticket, although I'm not sure if "rich" is the right word for it. I dunno. Maybe to you it would be muddy.

And no, I'm not Tribb or Rols, but I figured if you truly *only* wanted their opinions, you'd have emailed em'.
    All good choices to me, I'd lean toward a CC on this one.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the SD Custom Custom in my American Strat Deluxe and love it. Very warm, thick tone without being muddy. Sounds great for any type of music.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I tend to agree with Homeunit, but you haven't mentioned the type of amp and/or pedals you're using. That plays a major part of your overall sound.
    It's hard to recommend anything without knowing what you're playing the guitar through.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

OK, fair enough. And yes Majestic, every opinion is welcome. You must have a Tex-Mex Humbucker on something?
    Yamaha T100 (Soldano SLO 100 wanna-be) 6L6 amplifier. Running at 50 watts. Pedals are really pretty sparse, a Boss SuperOD for lead stuff and a DanEcho for delay. That's really it.

My big beef is the guitar is too thin/bright and lacks sustain. The wolfgang I had had very little articulation on a major chord, couldn't hear each string. I want this Alder/Floyd equipped Strat (rosewood neck) to sing, be warm, sustain for days, have controlled feedback, all the while being able to hear each string ring.

Thanks for everyone's help. Vintage sound yes, but sustain baby, sustain.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

First off, the soldano slo blows aren't known for producing articulation, just the opposite. They're very dirty sounding amps.
    I'd say the first thing would be to start with a cleaner sound from the preamp.
    Try cutting back on your bass a bit and your mids.
    The pedals sound ok, but actually sound better in a marshall tube preamp, you know, the rack mount type.
    An ADA tube preamp also sounds good with that combination.
    I don't know why you'd want an OD pedal with a head like a soldano.
    You might have to face it that you might just have a guitar that doesn't want to do all that you're asking.
    The Seths will articulate well, but like Homeunit says You're probably much better off going with a CC in the bridge and then trying different amp settings from there.
    Some of the Dimarzio p/u's that they make for the Satriani models are pretty good too.
    You can also try a sustain pedal as well, once you have a sound that you like.

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

I guess I should have mentioned really how I use the Yamaha. LOL on the Blow100 Tribb. OK, I actually use pretty exclusively the clean channel only. Because, like Tribb says, it's not all that clean. It breaks up nicely when you jam on it, and cleans up nicely when you play gentle. I'll hit the dirty button for some solos, and for some chaos at the ends of songs, weird parts etc. I use the SuperOD for most of my lead parts, because an OD through the clean channel is way cleaner than the Soldano dirty channel, and that's with the gain at 3. The thing has ridiculous gain.

OK, the choices. I guess I just want a pickup that compensates for the Floyd and offers some amazing sustain, while not being too hot, to the point of mush. Will spend some serious research time at the Duncan site.

Thanks everybody.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good luck bud. There are a lot of good choices.
    Keep in mind though that whatever p/u you decide on, the p/u only produces about 30% of your sustain. the rest is the guitar, amp and your fingers. Also, some guitars, and amps won't sustain well unless you really push them hard.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.09.17 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I personally wouldn't play a Soldano on a full-time basis (thus, I sold my 5150), but you should still be able to have a really great time jamming on it if you just make some subtle changes.

Seriously, I like the Soldano even better than the 5150, and since you already have it, I think you should exploit it.

The first step is to buy a more robust pickup.

Now, Eddie's tone is NOT robust, however, it's somewhat broad, and mushy-yet-tight, so if you're playing through a "narrow" or "compressed" amp like a Soldano, you'll want a pickup with a wider, more expressive range of tones.

Thus, you might experiment with a potted Seth, an EVH custom shop pickup, or on the medium-output level, the Custom Custom.

Since you're playing through a Soldano, I'd probably go with the Custom Custom. Even though it has more output than the other 2 pickups, it's ridiculously "warm". Trust me, your Soldano will brighten it up enough to the point where you'll probably think it's *perfect*.

Bro, I'm excited for you. I hope you go with Duncan, and lean on those f*ckers with their return policy. Good luck.

P.S. be mindful of your volume pot. You'll want to have a 500k volume pot for the tones you're looking for. You can always go to a quieter volume pot if the pickup you've found is too bright. Now, you wouldn't do this on an intentionally "warm" pickup like the Custom Custom, but if the EVH is too bright, you could always tame it with a 250k volume pot (even though Edward used a 500k pot....he played a vintage amp with the volume maxed & browned).