Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which should I get? And what model of it? Too bad I don't have the money for someone to route my guitar for a dble coil pickup [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

what type of sound are you lookin for? i know duncan makes the mini jb in single coil size...and dimarzio makes the hot rails ...although i use a tone zone and jb in my guitars,those are full size buckers,i think tribb or homeunit might be more experienced with differnt bucker types. they re like yoda and shit when it comes to gear. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From what I've heard (which was only ONE cheap guitar), Duncan's Screamin Demon pickups are great mini-buckers. I think DiMarzio's are a little less expensive in general, but I could be wrong. I've been using Fenders for a couple years now (Texas Specials and Vintage Noiseless), so my ears are 'tuned' to singles instead of buckers lately. If I can get a 4th Strat (when money starts falling from the sky to me) I'll be loading it with mini humbuckers, so whatever you end up with, please report back!
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey KV, my choice would be a Dimarzio PafPro humbucker in the bridge. Thats all you need, well thats all I have ever needed for my patened "Van Grunge" style of playing.

But you do need to know what "type" of sound your'e going for IMHO...
    Broken down n' dirty dressed in rags<br /><br /> G4 guitar player files at <a href="http://www.freedrive.com" target="_blank">www.freedrive.com</a> the username and password are both vhlinks(lowercase). My file is under No Bozo's ...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It escapes me as to why some of you guys feel you need the hottest, highest output pickup you can get when you're already using a high gain amp. A really hot pickup like some of those mentioned have very, very, very limited tonal range and sound very choked. In other words, they scream at certain frequencies, but sound flat at others. Having your guitar scream all the time not only limits your playing style drastically, but gets pretty tiring to the ears after awhile. Eyes mentioned the Dimarzio Paf pro, which is an excellent pickup for ed's sound and many others from Steve Vai to Randy Rhoads. The output is about 8.5k, give or take, but you can squeal on pretty well any note, and they sound good through "any" higher gain amplifier. The sustain on those is amazing as well. They also sound good in any kind of body wood (almost), except basswood which I don't think is a great guitar wood anyway. I know, Ed uses basswood so it must be great, but Ed plays guitars that nobody knows about and to beleive that everything he uses is stock is pretty naive. Everyone raves about Ed's early sound, but his stock gibson paf would have measured out around 7.5-8k, and after rewinding it wouldn't have gone higher than 9.5 or 10k. The body wood was also swamp ash which is a good quality, bright sounding body wood and is nowhere near basswood. He professes to use 15-16k ohm pickups now which are much buzzier and tonally flat. Again, remember that Ed does not go straight through an amp like the rest of us are usually forced to do. He has lots of toys to color his sound before we hear it. I know I'm gonna make enemies saying this, but I saw the VH 3 tour live and on video, and I think it's probably the worst guitar sound I've heard him have to date.
    For a vintage strat tone the alnico II pro's are it, but for humbuckers try a paf pro, or seth lover or something along those lines, especially if you have a high gain amp like a 5150, or high gain marshall, laney, etc.
    Sounds to me like EOTN has a good set of ears if he's picked the paf pro's out from all the flavor of the week crap out there.
    Both the EBMM and wolf have excellent necks, and I think that's their strong point, although I do think the EBMM is a better sounding guitar as well.
    Those of you that have an EVH, or wolfgang and are good with a soldering iron, try popping in a set of paf pro's, or at least try one in the bridge, and I think you'll be surprised.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    I saw the VH 3 tour live and on video, and I think it's probably the worst guitar sound I've heard him have to date.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I thought is was horrendous as well! Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, it sounded like he was playing through a cheap preamp into a shitty power amp, absolutely terrible [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

good points....see they re like yoda [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] im lookin into the rio grande bbq bucker for my next guitar myself.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tribb:
    Sounds to me EOTN has a good set of ears if he's picked up the Paf Pro's out from all the other flavor of the week crap out there.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lol, yeah it prob was just outta luck when I first stummbled onto that pickup. I was looking for a "vintage" sounding pick-up that would compliment the type of style I was going to or wanted to play which was Grunge. Now, I had this pick-up for a good 7 years till I tried resodering it into a Washburn(nuno bettencourt) reverse headstock guitar that I got. You said it had a 8.5k reading? Well lets just say I fried the pick-up and all that was coming out was like 3k!? [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] Ouch, talk about ruining your'e fav Pro? Man I felt about this small(measures a couple inches) [img]smilies/redface.gif[/img] ...

Did you sell those Wolfys yet? Did you ever get my e-mail? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah tribb, the VH3 tour had some bad sound. Too thick, as opposed to his sound on the 5150 and OU812 tours, which were too thin. The FUCK and Balance tours were just downright awesome though. That's the sound I have in mind. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Just a good single-coil pickup that sounds close to that would be nice. By the way, I am starting to hate Wolfgangs. The Music Man guitars look and sound better I think. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] Better tone and durability.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenyon, I agree. The balance tour was a great sound as well as the carnal knowledge tour. I don't know if it was just the guitar though. Remember Ed's setup.
    To be honest I don't know of any single coil that would give you that sound though. There are some stacked humbuckers that you could experiment with, but then you have to take the amp into account. And then you've got to take Ed's hands into account... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by homeunit:
    I thought is was horrendous as well! Yuck, Yuck, Yuck, it sounded like he was playing through a cheap preamp into a shitty power amp, absolutely terrible [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img] [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's funny, I thought the tone was good. However there may be a couple of reasons for this... the support band had probably the worst guitar tone I've ever heard (which made Ed sound comparitively better) and I'd also had about ten thousand beers at that stage of the night! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] But all in all I thought The guitar tone was awesome. My mate thought so too. Maybe it was just the particular venue or something that made it sound better. [img]smilies/confused.gif[/img]

Anyway, on to the pickups. I just bought an Dimarzio Evolution Pickup. I think its OK - better than the FRED that I had before but still like the sound of the stock M22SD pickup out of my Carvin the best (believe it or not!).

I don't have much experience with stacked humbuckers, sorry!
    RD<br /><br />"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)<br /><br />"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok Bret, put'em up. You and me out behind the barn..lol.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    It could have been his rig or sound system for the 3 tour. I know he went back to a no. of pedals and I heard he altered his switching system, so maybe that played a part, cause he was already using the wolf proto types during part of the balance tour and they didn't sound like VH 3.
    During the balance tour his sound was smoother and better defined. I just found it too gritty and distorted on the 3 tour.

RD, the evolution's a pretty good pickup for high output. It's got a good top and bottom. I found the Fred to be too midrangey and kind of mushy sounding.

[ March 31, 2001 at 08:25 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I'm sure Ed's wolfs sound fine, it just the overall tonal package of the III tour was terrendous!
    If he was trying to "go back" to a more "natural" sound, I think he missed that by a long shot, but I don't think it solely the fault of any one peice of gear.
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What HomeUnit said.. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The VH3 tour sound wasn't all bad, but wasn't that great either. The sound on Mean Street from the Sydney, AUS show was really good. But I can still tell you I think the sound from the EBMM is better on my ears than the Wolfie. Either way, it's better than a stock standard Strat!

Man, I wish I could play righty! [img]smilies/cry.gif[/img]