Register
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 10:47 AM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

Has anybody out there swapped out there stock pickups in a EBMM Axis and had good results ? My Wolfgang Flame Special and Evh Strat from Rol blow the balls off my Axis , [img]graemlins/wtf.gif[/img] playing them all through a 5150 combo .
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

02.28.12 @ 12:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I had mine rewound a couple of years back, and it was a fresh lease of life. I also had a push/pull pot replace the standard volume pot, so I can now split the humbuckers. This makes the guitar much more versatile, and doesn't affect the look at all.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Originally posted by mars:
    I had mine rewound a couple of years back, and it was a fresh lease of life. I also had a push/pull pot replace the standard volume pot, so I can now split the humbuckers. This makes the guitar much more versatile, and doesn't affect the look at all.
    Thanks for the advice Mars !

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have...you have to be prepared for some expensive trial and error though, because stock replacement pickups won't fit in the EVH/Axis without modification, so you can't return them. The problem with Duncans (and most others) is the square and/or long mounting legs that need to be dealt with, and even with Dimarzios, which don't those problems, the mounting holes need to be bored out a bit to accomodate the mounting screws. Either way, you're talking permanent modification to any new pickups you want to try to install in there.

ratter.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Originally posted by ratter:
    I have...you have to be prepared for some expensive trial and error though, because stock replacement pickups won't fit in the EVH/Axis without modification, so you can't return them. The problem with Duncans (and most others) is the square and/or long mounting legs that need to be dealt with, and even with Dimarzios, which don't those problems, the mounting holes need to be bored out a bit to accomodate the mounting screws. Either way, you're talking permanent modification to any new pickups you want to try to install in there.

ratter.
    What pickups did you put in , how does it sound , was it worth it [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey man,

I have an EVH and an Axis, and I put the "Satch" complement (Fred bridge, PAF Pro neck) in the Axis, just for shits and giggles. I mainly wanted to see how lower output pickups would fare with my setup. This was after a couple of abortions trying to get off-the-shelf Duncans to fit. Even the Dimarzios needed to have the screw holes drilled out a bit, which is why I posted the previous warning...wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

The pickups obviously make a huge difference. I like the fact that the sound cleans up more with the lower output pickups when you roll down the volume, and I don't use a huge amount of gain to begin with, so the more PAF-ish pickups seem to suit me better (amp is a Budda Superdrive). However, these particular pickups are a little thin and shrill. So my conclusions so far are:

a) low output = good
    b) voicing of Fred/PAF Pro = not really what I want

I would probably try some other models (like maybe the Air Classics), but they're hard to find anywhere that I've looked. So I think what I might do is really bite the bullet and have a custom zebra set (probably an EVH bridge and a Seth Lover neck) made up by the Duncan custom shop and plop them in my EVH. It'll be pricey, but it could get even pricier if I keep dicking around with this trial and error process. This is assuming that they can make pickups for me that will fit without any hassle.

Hope this helps a bit...good luck!

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

vanhalen 1
    Favorite VH Song

panama
    Last Online

11.06.14 @ 03:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

if you want to sell those pickups from your ernie ball,let me know...

stan

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Originally posted by ratter:
    Hey man,

I have an EVH and an Axis, and I put the "Satch" complement (Fred bridge, PAF Pro neck) in the Axis, just for shits and giggles. I mainly wanted to see how lower output pickups would fare with my setup. This was after a couple of abortions trying to get off-the-shelf Duncans to fit. Even the Dimarzios needed to have the screw holes drilled out a bit, which is why I posted the previous warning...wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting into! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

The pickups obviously make a huge difference. I like the fact that the sound cleans up more with the lower output pickups when you roll down the volume, and I don't use a huge amount of gain to begin with, so the more PAF-ish pickups seem to suit me better (amp is a Budda Superdrive). However, these particular pickups are a little thin and shrill. So my conclusions so far are:

a) low output = good
    b) voicing of Fred/PAF Pro = not really what I want

I would probably try some other models (like maybe the Air Classics), but they're hard to find anywhere that I've looked. So I think what I might do is really bite the bullet and have a custom zebra set (probably an EVH bridge and a Seth Lover neck) made up by the Duncan custom shop and plop them in my EVH. It'll be pricey, but it could get even pricier if I keep dicking around with this trial and error process. This is assuming that they can make pickups for me that will fit without any hassle.

Hope this helps a bit...good luck!
    Thanks Again , I`m gonna think about it a little before I purchase new pickups because I change my mind daliy .

[ September 18, 2002, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: 51501984 ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Originally posted by bmf5150:
    if you want to sell those pickups from your ernie ball,let me know...

stan
    If I yank em I`ll let you know .