Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Whats the story behind this Marshall? Was it a Plexi? Which one? Where did he get it from? Wot wre the specs? Anybody got a picture of it?......I have an enquiring mind you see..
    Cheers folks [img]tongue.gif[/img]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed's Marshall that he recorded the first album with ? That was a 1967' JTM 45/100, They are actually just a big version of the First JTM 45's they don't have as much gain (STOCK) as the later models as in 68"69"70"...This was also his first Marshall! Yes the front panel was made out of Plexi glass...His Amp was All stock...He used to starve the Amplifier for Voltage and just wind the fucker up all the way and it would distort...it also helped having the 25 watt greenback celestions, Although he did also used JBL (not sure of the model) too...He used a blend of the two... I remember hearing eddie say about how they had to audition like six times to get the gig at Gazaries cause he always played too loud LOL...

Now we're talkin about back when he was in the club sence...he later (maybe alittle before the first album) used his HH power amp setup.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

this is gonna open up a whole can of worms [img]smile.gif[/img] ill wait a bit before i throw my opinion in the mix.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote by franky
    Ed's Marshall that he recorded the first album with ? That was a 1967' JTM 45/100, They are actually just a big version of the First JTM 45's they don't have as much gain (STOCK) as the later models as in 68"69"70"...This was also his first Marshall! Yes the front panel was made out of Plexi glass...His Amp was All stock...He used to starve the Amplifier for Voltage and just wind the fucker up all the way and it would distort...it also helped having the 25 watt greenback celestions, Although he did also used JBL (not sure of the model) too...He used a blend of the two... I remember hearing eddie say about how they had to audition like six times to get the gig at Gazaries cause he always played too loud LOL...
    Yup, that sounds right to me. He said he tried all kinds of things to keep the volume down, but he had to crank it on full to get the sound he wanted.
    I heard he messed around with vintage 30's as well.

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I dunno about this... ..but I think i read somewhere that this legendary Marshall was the house amp at the Whiskey in the club days which he kinda commandeered...I maybe wrong 'tho ! [img]smile.gif[/img]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

GGB
    Last Online

09.20.17 @ 08:12 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, as we all know, if Ed said it...you know it can't be true!

I actually remember the Plexi story above as well, but heck...didn't he once say that the *best* sound he ever had was with his Fender Bassman 100 at home?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH3
    Favorite VH Song

Pleasure Dome
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The amp came from the Pasadena Rose Palace and I also read that the Fender Bassman was what he thought had the "best tone." He also said that he'd crank it loud and the transformer would blow every 8 or 9 months. Another crock of shit. If you're trying to emulate Ed's equipment by reading his interviews, don't bother because he's nothing but a liar. It also makes you wonder where the hell did he get all this $ before hitting it big to afford going through a set of tubes once a week, blowing transformers every other month, buying expensive Gibson guitars, ruining expensive Gibson guitars due to experimentation, and outfitting cabinets with different speakers. The guy is a fuckin' lair and the vintage stuff he was using is a lot better than the crap we're using.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Ed used to use a shitload of heads in the early days. I don't think "the Marshall" was being used until after the first album came out.

I remember reading an interview with him, I think it was his first, where he was saying he was using Fender, Sun, and musicman heads, or something like that, I'll try and dig up that interview in the next couple of weeks and see.

[ June 26, 2002, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: homeunit ]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Interesting, I've never read that the Marshall on the first record was a JTM 45/100. I've alway read and heardt that it was a 67/68 plexi panel Super Lead tubed with GE 6CA7(EL34) power tubes? But that's just from what I've read who knows with Eddie, right!! From what I've read the speakers in his dry cabs were Celestion G12M or G12H and he used JBL's in his wet cabs.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later, all DLR era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It was a 67 transition Plexi Superlead, power section was US made Sylvania 6AC7's, it used carbon comp resistors, Daly filter caps, and had an added 220uf cap on the v2 cathode- meaning that its paralleling the 820 resistor coming from pin 3 on the middle pre amp tube to ground. That, along with the variac at 90v ac, the ohmite resistor load, and some type of boost (possibly an EQ) *had* to be used as well to slam the preamp tubes (probably mullards), to get the famous VH gain. There is no way a stock plexi gets that distortion all by itself. Anyone with a superlead/plexi, hotplate and a final amp try it and see.

The line level from the ohmite load was sent to an MXR flanger, Echoplex, eq, and a final power amp into 2+ marshall cabs with 25, 30 watt celestions and JBL's. The speakers and the echoplex are a huge part of his tone everyone overlooks.

This is my take from alot of digging, talking to techs, from my obsession and search for his tone. I have it down pretty well with my home rig.

Also, you ain't gonna get that tone without spending a few grand.