Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

VH1, WACF, FW, 1984, 5150
    Favorite VH Song

"They\'re all hit singles, man" - DLR
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ok, I've got this old strat style body sanded down and ready to go, so I guess I'm ready to paint. So the order goes: paint white, fine sand, apply tape, paint red, fine sand, apply tape, paint black, seal?

I know this sounds pathetic but hey, we all started somewhere. Help me out, guys. (and Rol I know you said just make the call, but I figured this would save us time and frustration from trying to get this right over the phone)
    Right Now...My gf is probably reading my posts.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    Ok, I've got this old strat style body sanded down and ready to go, so I guess I'm ready to paint. So the order goes: paint white, fine sand, apply tape, paint red, fine sand, apply tape, paint black, seal?

not a problem, you have the order right, if you have sanded down to the wood it needs to be sealed first, if not then hit it with the white 3-4 good coats. and *wet* sand with fine, just fine sanding will heat the paint and smear it.
    good luck.
    Rol.

if ya need help just email me.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Its going good so far, where does the steel wool fit into all of this?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by 5150atomic:
    Its going good so far, where does the steel wool fit into all of this?
    it goes after the wet sanding, and it's the last thing you do when your done, it dulls it up and gives it a nice sheen
    Rol.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it Later, all DLR era songs
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Am I the only one started with black paint first - taped where the black stripes go, then white - taped where the white stripes go, and then red? It seems logical and turned out excellent with krylon - although the tape I used bled a tiny bit. Good enough from 2+ feet away though [img]smile.gif[/img]

It was an original '95 wolfgang that started out black anyway. I didn't even sand the original finish - the krylon seems to stick very well and has yet to rub off from playing.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Zifnab:
    Am I the only one started with black paint first - taped where the black stripes go, then white - taped where the white stripes go, and then red? It seems logical and turned out excellent with krylon - although the tape I used bled a tiny bit. Good enough from 2+ feet away though [img]smile.gif[/img]

It was an original '95 wolfgang that started out black anyway. I didn't even sand the original finish - the krylon seems to stick very well and has yet to rub off from playing.
    Dude, he's painting a 5150, where there were only a coup-le of black lines. Franky was based on black lines so it would make sense to start with black, then white, then red. The few black lines on the 5150 were actually taped off after the red and white paint, so the width isn't exactly the same from one point to the other... Like taping off the outline... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zifnab:

Dude, he's painting a 5150, where there were only a coup-le of black lines. Franky was based on black lines so it would make sense to start with black, then white, then red. The few black lines on the 5150 were actually taped off after the red and white paint, so the width isn't exactly the same from one point to the other... Like taping off the outline... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]I still dont see how you do the black stripes after youve got the red and white on there. Thanks again for the help guys.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by el_jalepeno:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Zifnab:

Dude, he's painting a 5150, where there were only a coup-le of black lines. Franky was based on black lines so it would make sense to start with black, then white, then red. The few black lines on the 5150 were actually taped off after the red and white paint, so the width isn't exactly the same from one point to the other... Like taping off the outline... [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]yes you can paint any of Eds striped guitars that way, 5150, HFT, 1984, Ad Frank yadd yadda yadda .
    but if you want them done the sane way Eds were then you do it the other way, also if you notice like say on the wolf the black line that runs under the trem, it's worn off at each end, if you do the black first you can't do that, same with the 5150 and all it's wear on the black lines,
    but doing it the way you mentioned is fine if you don't want the wear, I also think it's harder to get the black stripes in the exact right spot doing that but still it can be done.
    Rol.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nevermind, didnt see the bit about taping the outline, that seems to have worked fine.

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

alright i got the sealer coat on. tomorrow ill get the white coat on. ill try to get some pics up.