Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by Onirb:
    I think it is the SD TB-5.
    Rol will know because it is his kit.
    Yep. That's what's listed on the site for the Frankenstrat.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Onirb:
    I think it is the SD TB-5.
    Rol will know because it is his kit.
    Hi,

you are correct TB-5 is the one, I tried several in these kits and no matter what anyone says, to my ears that is the pickup to get that tone out of that wood in that kit.
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 02:50 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I disagree with Rol , whom I also happen to think is "The Man".

In my opinion, the upper midrange is exactly the frequency Ed was trying to *eliminate* in his tone, whether it be with his amped-up vintage tone (the Music Man) or the louder & more focused Wolfgang tone. Even the fabled Custom Custom purposely eliminates/minimizes this frequency.

The TB-5 is a pickup that I would identify with Slash, or anyone else that likes vintage "sizzle", which is the last label I'd use for Ed's tone, which I would describe as "loud bulky vintage warmth".

Rol makes a great point about that particular pickup matching with the wood, however. In the end, it really depends on how the strings resonate on that chunk of wood.

Also, Rol, as I recall, you said at one point that you couldn't tell the difference between the Custom and the Custom Custom, am I right?

To me, those pickups should be night & day different. One sizzles on the top 2 strings, (think 'It's So Easy' by Guns n' Roses), and the other has a warm fizz on the top 2(think 'Pretty Woman').

Again, this is completely open for debate, and in many ways subjective. I'd actually like to hear what other people think about this.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Majestic:
    I disagree with Rol , whom I also happen to think is "The Man".

In my opinion, the upper midrange is exactly the frequency Ed was trying to *eliminate* in his tone, whether it be with his amped-up vintage tone (the Music Man) or the louder & more focused Wolfgang tone. Even the fabled Custom Custom purposely eliminates/minimizes this frequency.

The TB-5 is a pickup that I would identify with Slash, or anyone else that likes vintage "sizzle", which is the last label I'd use for Ed's tone, which I would describe as "loud bulky vintage warmth".

Rol makes a great point about that particular pickup matching with the wood, however. In the end, it really depends on how the strings resonate on that chunk of wood.

Also, Rol, as I recall, you said at one point that you couldn't tell the difference between the Custom and the Custom Custom, am I right?

To me, those pickups should be night & day different. One sizzles on the top 2 strings, (think 'It's So Easy' by Guns n' Roses), and the other has a warm fizz on the top 2(think 'Pretty Woman').

Again, this is completely open for debate, and in many ways subjective. I'd actually like to hear what other people think about this.
    all the feedback I get from the replicas I have built say what I said and yes you are correct I cannot hear a difference in the 2 pickups (TB-5,TB-11) everyones ears are different.
    Rol.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    all the feedback I get from the replicas I have built say what I said
    Well, it's tough for me to argue with satisfied customers! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by rolsguitars:
    all the feedback I get from the replicas I have built say what I said
    Well, it's tough for me to argue with satisfied customers! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]heh, you are entitled to argue with whoever you want, your opinions are valued and by all means if anyone wants a different pickup than what I have specifeid in the Rogers kits all you have to do is ask, they are a Duncan dealer and can get anyone you want.
    Rol. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Well, I loaned my 88' Charvel to someone on the other side of Michigan. When I get it back, I'm gonna take out the Evolution that is in the bridge, and pop in either a Custom Custom, or a Custom Custom Custom.

After doing more research, and scouring Duncan's message forums, I've concluded (actually, verified) this:

The pickup itself, and by that I mean the poles, windings, etc., are the *SAME* across the C, the CC, and the CCC. This may be why you have difficulty telling them apart, Rol.

The C has a ceramic magnet, making it the hottest and brightest (although not "bright").

The CC has an Alnico 2 magnet, giving this particular pickup a huge hump in the lower mids and upper bass, decent lower bass, and soft rounded highs.

The CCC has an Alnico 5 magnet, making it's output BETWEEN the C and the CC. Supposedly it sounds more "vintag-ey" like the CC, and has the same rounded, soft highs, chunky lower mids, but with more powerful and tighter bass.

The EVH is being referred to as the "78" in the Duncan forums now. We all know what happened to rock guitar back in 78. Anyway, the 78 is a differently wound pickup all together, yet it has the Alnico 2 magnet that a CC has.

Eddie's tone on VH I is a little too aggressive to be called vintage, in my opinion, which may be why you didn't take to the tone too well, HomeUnit (or Tribb, or whomever it was that tried the EVH/78).

I'd bet you'd have been happy with a Custom Custom Custom (CCC), but definitely, DEFINITELY happy with a CC, based on what you guys told me.

Anyway, like I said, I'm dying to try a CC. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] If it's too weak (and I doubt that's the case), I'll boost up to the CCC.

I may even pop one in my Axis Super Sport, which doesn't sound right due to various reasons (depending on whom you believe).

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I may even pop one in my Axis Super Sport, which doesn't sound right due to various reasons (depending on whom you believe).
    well the only thing here is you are talkin about completly different guitars than from the Rogers kit, remember I said that pickup is for that neck wood and that body wood, also I'd like to point out you are using those pickups on finished bodies,
    the EVH replicas I did had no gloss coat on them at all, and that makes a difference to me anyway,
    I have not tried the CCC and I may but to me the CC was not worth the extra $$ if I couldn't tell the difference, you know what I mean ?
    Rol.

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Majestic. I'm not sure if the pickup route is the same on the Axis SS as the Axis but Ratter that posts here occasionally said he couldn't get Duncans to fit in the cavity of his Axis without either modification to the pickup route or to the pickup. Which is a pain in the ass because once you mess around with pickup to make it fit it will probably void any warranty which would be pretty crummy if you didn't like the pickup.