Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

01.22.13 @ 03:01 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Lately I've been noticing the number of posts of people requesting various information on painting a guitar in the style of Van Halen. I've done a couple myself, and though I'm definately not the leading expert on the procedures, would it be beneficial to have a web site that goes into great detail on how to paint the different Van Halen guitars? I know that Rol and others can't do these guitars for people anymore, so I'm wonding if it would be a good idea to get the information out there to people so they can try it themselves. And if a web site like this was created, would it be legal nowadays? I have pictures detailing all the steps I've taken while painting my guitars, along with part numbers of various products I had to buy in order to do the job. I've thought that it might be helpful for people to know this. So my question is, what does everyone think of this? Is it worth it? Is anyone else considering doing something similar, and if so would it be a good idea to team up? I know Rol is the most knowlegeable person when it comes to this (I couldn't have done it without his help), and I don't want to step on any toes. But I think that if everyone combines all their ideas and experiences, it could really be cool and informative. Comments?

Top Of The World
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

09.08.06 @ 11:08 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I doubt the vh lawyers would like that, even if its for personal use you never know.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not sure you could do it. The beef with the lawyers is that the Frankentien design is considered 'Intellectual Property' of Eddie Van Halen. Though I'm not sure how such a vauge design could be, especially with so many variations possible, but whatever. Rol would be the man to ask here, but I think Neff Law Group would still consider it exploiting this 'property', especialy if you can't even use the design as artwork for a website! Even if you want to use the 5150 logo you have to have written permision correct? So I doubt it'd fly even though it'd be cool. There may be a way to dance around and do it, but I don't know, plus not many people would wanna' deal with the crap that might be thrown at 'em for it. Last I checked if you changed a 'protected' design by 33% you were in the clear. Its just stripes man! Come on! Its not a complicated design that is unique or anything! Are refs in hockey and the NFL going to be allowed to wear there uniforms!?! Or can companies not produce them anymore because the black and white stripes are based on the 1978 guitar? Come on! Imitation is the highest form of flattery right! Ed should be pleased not pissed! Although I think there maybe someone in his ear over this issue. I mean to come out of the blue with it seems wierd after al these years. Peavy maybe? Theres gonna' be more demand now for a stripped Wolfie from the custom shop now if they do one. Who knows. Just stripes! Good grief! Anyways to end my off track rant...Good idea the website, I just think Neff would be on the horn stickin' it to you or whoever in no time. Even if it could be done, they'd make it a nightmare for sure. There done....sorry. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]
    "We don't need no stinkin' click!" -AL<br /><br />Here’s my 10 cents. My 2 cents is free. A nuisance, who sent, you send for me? -Eminem/The Eminem Show<br /><br />No. Now take off my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they breakup. -Adam Sandler/The Wedding Singer<br /><br />He's got huge, sharp, pointy....look at the bones! -John Cleese/Monty Python<br /><br />You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?!?-Adam Sandler/Happy Gilmore<br /><br />Tell 'em I want some snatch by the pool!-?/Slap Shot<br /><br />For such a small town, it sure has alot of assholes! -Classic bumper sticker!

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Right Now
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way the 33% thing...I went through this for a jersey design I made based on the Calvin cartoon charicter. It was awesome, but this lawsuit happy world was itchy over this one. Anyways I didn't want to give in on this. So it went back and forth, back and forth 'till we came to a happy middle. If I changed the design by 33% it would no longer be considered the protected design but an original. No prob. A wardrobe change, so detail removed/added and presto. Everyone was happy. I had an original design that put me in the clear, kept the lawyers happy, and there was no mistake who the charicter was...(based on of cource [img]smile.gif[/img] ) So there you have it. To easy to 'modify' the so called Frankinstein design. Just my thoughts on the subject and there worth about...oh let's see...5 multiply by 3...devide by...square route of...carry the one and there you have it....a steamy pile of crap and two nickles. -Steve
    "We don't need no stinkin' click!" -AL<br /><br />Here’s my 10 cents. My 2 cents is free. A nuisance, who sent, you send for me? -Eminem/The Eminem Show<br /><br />No. Now take off my Van Halen t-shirt before you jinx the band and they breakup. -Adam Sandler/The Wedding Singer<br /><br />He's got huge, sharp, pointy....look at the bones! -John Cleese/Monty Python<br /><br />You eat pieces of shit for breakfast?!?-Adam Sandler/Happy Gilmore<br /><br />Tell 'em I want some snatch by the pool!-?/Slap Shot<br /><br />For such a small town, it sure has alot of assholes! -Classic bumper sticker!