Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Sinner\'s Swing-Top Jimmy
    Last Online

10.19.07 @ 02:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Every since VH1 came out way back when, I have been obsessed with some of the solos that Edward has played, on every album, but especially the first album. Ice Cream Man has always been the one that just slayed me. Now I have been playing for many years and have pulled off some pretty hard stuff, but the solo in this song I never could quite get right. Until yesterday. I don't know if it's something that I ate, or the way that I was holding my mouth, but I nailed it. I have never been so musically happy. For years I have always turned down playing this song in my band cause I couldn't play the solo like the record. I could have improvised something different, but to me it wouldn't have felt right. Now I can. The way my luck runs, the guys in the band won't care to play it anymore. Is it lame for me to get on this site and blab about something so selfserving? Probably. But I'm so stoked that I had to tell someone. If anyone needs any advice on this solo and wants to ask about playing it, let me know. I'm talking about the very first lick in the solo section of the song. It's carpel tunnel time though, I gotta tell you. Thanks everyone for taking the time to read this pathetic little piece of useless information. Rock on.......Top Jimmy 1
    "Be yourself, even if you have to fake it"

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey man, if your up to it, i'm listening!

show us what you got! i'd love to hear how you did it.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dude. You made me read your post, feel sorry for you, then after just browsing as a guest on this page, be inclined to register in this forum for no reason other than to enlighten you. Well your pathetic story worked, somewhat.

First thing you need to do is have a very flexible fretting hand. It's quite a stretch to complete the sequence, so use your pinky and third finger of your fretting hand. It's also been a while since I wrote tab so I will just point out the first pattern of the solo:

All open notes tuned down 1/2 step:
    dp = double-picked h = hammer on

Eb|---12-12----16---19----(double picked & clean repeat x8)------------------------------------
    Bb|---------------------12----16----19-----(dp x4)------------------------------------------------------
    Gb|----------------------------------------12----16-----19---(dp x1)----------------------------------------
    Db|------------------------------------------------------------- 12-----16-----19-----(dp x2) --12^h^14
    Ab|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Eb|----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It also helps to have a nice phase shifter set to a slow cycle for the full effect.

Molto felice gioco!

John

http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/th...brittanymurphy
    No hay dios!

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I don't believe that tab is quite correct.

I can tell by ear, and by looking at what you've typed that it's incorrect, but I looked it up so that I wouldn't make an *ss of myself.

The giveaway is that you've typed it so that after you double pick the 12th fret, you move to the 16th, and then the 19th, and do it over & over again. That's not how the lick goes.

After you pick the 12th fret twice, it goes 16, 19, then to 12, then 19, then 12, then 16 to 12, and *THEN* you repeat it 4x, not 8x.

So, "shape-wise", it does indeed (as you posted) go straight up from first finger, to third finger, to pinky, but then it kicks BACK to the first finger, then to the pinky, then BACK to the first, then to the 3rd finger, then BACK to the first. 4 times.

The shape is moved (with only one run-through) down the fretboard, except it starts with the 3rd finger, then pinky, then first, pinky again, first, then third to first. Continue to move it down, the way you've typed it.

I'm not gonna even FAKE like I could figure out that tab without tablature help, and probably like yourself, I just "tapped" that 'stretch' shape since I was 14 years old, until I was about 20 or 21, at which point I sort of really quickly "bullshit" picked it, but today I pretty much change it & tap it.

I'm not gonna wreck my hands so I can play that lick note-for-note. I've had 3 different periods in my life where I had to lay down the guitar with wrist problems because of practicing/work related garbage.

The first time it happened I was eighteen. I took 2 weeks off, lowered my string guage, built myself back up, and quit playing Eruption on my acoustic.

The next time I was 20. I took off a whole month. It felt like I had electrical wires running up both arms. Part of the problem turned out to be work-related.

The most recent bout started in 1999, and lasted until about 8 months ago. That's right....2 and a half years with maybe 100 hrs. logged....TOTAL. I'd make "mini-comebacks", but would always be thwarted.

Finally, I gave it enough rest (4 straight months), started doing compound movements (instead of the dinky muscle specific exercises the doctor will give you) at the weight room. After about 3 months of lifting, I was riffing again, and have been ever since. Sometimes I just STARE at my guitar, and get pumped because I can play it again.

There are some things I still can't/won't do, like the tapping on Spanish Fly. That's a no-no. My wrist flat-out can't stay awake in that position. I've transposed it to other strings, but it doesn't sound as cool.

I've come to the same realization when he does a similar stretch in the Beat It solo. I tap it. None of my friends know.

What DOES bug/inspire me, is the timing and phrasing he chooses to use with blues shapes that don't even require a stretch. Like "Hot For Teacher". That is some crazy soloing with some very basic blues notes.

Anyway, now you know maybe more than you wanted to about me. Sorry. [img]graemlins/drunk.gif[/img]

It's cool that there are other fanatics on this board that really pay attention to Ed's playing. He's more creative, inventive, and even more "clever" than most casual guitar fans will ever know....his stuff is that different. It's like complexity executed with simplicity. Or maybe vice versa.

Like with Ice Cream man....the stretch is a bitch, but if you're one of the lucky few (I'm not) who can do it without setting your tendons on fire, all you have to do is run it right down the fretboard, and you've got it.

Damn you, Ed. [img]graemlins/devil.gif[/img]

[ August 04, 2002, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: Majestic ]

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

04.30.08 @ 09:53 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are correct. I did say to repeat the first notes 8x and didn't imply to run back *down* from the 19th fret and more as an accented, legato phrase, so I stand corrected. But the rest of the tab is basically correct, and I play it note-for-note.

Then again, I learned it in 1981 (I am quite old now, ya know ) but I didn't figure it out by tapping it, another Pasadena/SG Valley guitar player taught that to me. [img]smile.gif[/img]

The *bitchinest* lick Ed has done so far in his career is the intro to "Mean Street"- not the stratospheric, left-hand-stretched taps, pull-offs and tapped harmonics, those are easy, but the oddly-timed, funk slap and tapped 12th pre "hip-hop" groove he created; that rocked. I saw him do that in '83 at the US Festival when I nestled up to the very first row and he was directly above me. He was like a GOD.

I am sure that soon some hip-hopper will sample that intro riff through Fruity Loops, add a TR-909 groove beat and rap to it.

And I didn't mind learning about ya; it's good to know that relatively youngin's are so eager to figure out great playing techniques.

Late.

John

[ August 04, 2002, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: classalpha ]
    No hay dios!

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

you gotta hate ed s pinky strength
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Banned!
    Last Online

02.18.11 @ 08:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hehehe rick.

or the strength and his ability to control each finger individually to boot.

i like the little pulloff he does in the middle of 3/16 where he interweaves the ring and middle finger and 'times' it too, not just manages to hit it, but makes them sound musical.

damn.

as it was mentioned above, most people don't even know who ed is any more, least of which what he has done for guitar playing.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Eruption,HFT,Mean Street,Humans Being
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You've accomplished something. Even Brian Young cheats when he plays it.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well ClassAlpha, thanks for the enlighting lesson on the solo. From what I've read here, you pretty much got it right. Good to hear there are others who can get that insane lick. Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I wasn't looking for someone to show me how to do the lick, but rather looking for someone to appreciate my completion of learning one of the coolest solos that Eddie's commited to a recording. It has puzzled me for years, and my biggest problem was over complicating the execution. The other Eddie licks that I learned years ago, Intro to Mean Streets, I'm The One (pretty much the whole friggin song is a lesson in how it should be done/humility), Eruption, Little Guitars, Spanish Fly, Hot For Teacher, etc. were learned I wouldn't say very easily, but I kept my nose to the grindstone and got it in pretty decent time. Ice Cream Man is the last of the Eddie licks that I wasn't doing quite right, but then finally got. Almost by accident too, oddly enough. In retrospect, it was silly for me to gloat about it in a post, though I really wasn't gloating, I was more like the kid on the proverbial tree hanging on the limb at the very top going, "Look Ma, no ha...ahhhhhhhhhhhhh!!! Splat!!!

I must say that Majestics post was quite on the money in regarding the wrist pain due to some of Eddie's bizarre piece's of music. The outro of Drop Dead Legs use to send me to the medicine cabinet looking for my Percocet. However, I've been playing for 25 years and counting, so anymore at my age "Sweet Home Alabama" can make me hurt enough to cry. (Just kidding) So to one and all, if you're playing Ed's music, then you can't be all bad. I tip my hat to you. Peace.......

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, Thinlineokc. I appreciate it. Brian Young is an amazing guitarist anywhooo. Cheater or no. We all cheat at some point. I guess. Or not.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Good Enough
    Last Online

09.03.08 @ 07:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is it just me or has everyone forgotten then even Ed plays this lick on stage by holding the guitar vertically? When you hold it this way, the pinky stretch is greatly reduced and the entire lick -- as tabbed in the official tab book -- becomes must easier. You can cheat as you go up the fretboard by using the 14th fret to simulate the 19th but I find that holding it vertically I can stretch the 19th just about all the way up. I've been working on this solo for about a year and a half and the hardest part about the intro is the last couple bars of it. When it gets up to the last to strings I have trouble maintaining and hitting the rhythm perfectly.

I also am nowhere near ready to say I can play the rest of this sucker, as I still have trouble with the rapid-fire alt-picked sections like after the first dive bomb and the two outro sections... (also the outro to Ya Really Got Me is still difficult at this point). The intro to ICM solo is almost easier to me now than these parts, but probably because I spent so much time on it because it just sounds so freakin' cool.

Hey help me on I'm The One: ain't that some hard-ass shit? First of all, those palm-muted staccato notes are hard as all crap in pure Randy Rhoads style and then the little interlude solo at the beginning -- Hey-Zeus Christ! He plays it SO FAST on the record and nailing the two palm mutes in the middle on the way back up are difficult to say the least. I think that's the hardest part of the entire song!
    -Steve Krutzler

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Ain't it great to be an Ed-head?
    I still think that the pre-solo guitar breakdown in "On Fire" is the all-time bitchinest riff ever to eminate from a 12" speaker-or 80 12" speakers! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Speakin' of fakin' it...my band wants to play 'Mean Street'. It would seem I need to quit showing off cause I'm not that good at it.

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SteveKrutzler:
    Is it just me or has everyone forgotten then even Ed plays this lick on stage by holding the guitar vertically? When you hold it this way, the pinky stretch is greatly reduced and the entire lick -- as tabbed in the official tab book -- becomes must easier.
    I was just gonna say that I have to flip it up and rest it on my knee to nail that solo.
    Even then it doesn't sound that good though.
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Mean Street
    Last Online

05.17.09 @ 06:50 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Donor

Well I played it for years in a couple of bands and I have to say that I faked pretty much all of it [img]graemlins/cry.gif[/img] oh the shame, I hammered the bastards on like there's no tomorrow even though I know its all picked. I can pull off Mean Street all around however, its not so much that its technically hard, its the timing and feel that's difficult as is with most of Ed's stuff.

Its nice to talk to fellow musicians and I hope I don't sound too much like an idiot for the following but does anyone else have a hard time with Beautiful Girls? I can play it okay but it sure doesn't sound right when I do it, its pretty amazing that something that fucking weird and hard to play comes so naturally to Ed.

[ August 14, 2002, 05:37 PM: Message edited by: ericgtr ]

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the One
    Last Online

02.26.08 @ 08:19 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ericgtr:
    Its nice to talk to fellow musicians and I hope I don't sound too much like an idiot for the following but does anyone else have a hard time with Beautiful Girls? I can play it okay but it sure doesn't sound right when I do it, its pretty amazing that something that fucking weird and hard to play comes so naturally to Ed.
    If you wanna sound like an idiot try this one:

I stopped playing for a couple months, a while back due to injury but am playing again now.
    Ever since I stopped though, one problem has arisen and I don't know why....

I fuck up the solo to "Running with the Devil" almost every time now [img]redface.gif[/img]

It's my picking hand and it's not getting any better.
    Some really technical stuff is going ok, but that was one of the first things I could actually play when I was starting out and although I've improved a lot since then, I can't get that lick anymore.

Anyone know what's up with me?!?
    It's really getting to me
    <b>Obey the DFK!!</b><br /><br />"Teacher needs to see me after school"