Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

CANT PICK ONE!!
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I recently bought a Peavey 5150 combo(great amp btw!) the only problem is it's too loud! This was never a problem before,but I recently had my work schedule changed and now I can only practice at night. So no more loudness for me.

Even at the lowest setting its still kinda loud,and it doesnt have a headphone jack...

Anyways,I noticed a Peavey employee on thier website talking about using a Peavey HB-1 Stereo Headphone Booster in a 'line out' on another Peavey amp that didnt have a headphone jack,essentially cutting off the speakers and going to the phones.

Could this be used the same way with my 5150 combo? If so where do I plug in the HB-1 and in what input? If I cant do it that way,is there another?

Thanks for any help guys!
    Greg

P.S. here is the address to the HB-1

http://www.oakwoodbroadcast.com/Ampl...eavey_hb1.html

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Plugging into the line out on the 5150 will not slence the amp like on solid state/digital amps with headphone jacks. The line out simply taps signal from the preamp. Even if the headphone device did work in the line out the sound would still be coming through the speakers. The only way to silence the amp would be to run the power section into load box which would act as the speaker load withougt the sound. After all that's said and done you've spent quite a bit of money and the line out on the 5150 doesn't sound good at all.

For less money you could buy a modelling device like a Johnson J-Station or POD and play it through headphones, and it would sound a ton better than the 5150 line out through a headphone mixer.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Re-posting this from the Peavey board:

In order to drive headphones with an effects send or line output, you will need a headphone amplifier, such as the Peavey HB-1 for example.

Plug the HB-1 into the effects send of the 5150. To silence the internal speakers, insert an open (unconnected) 1/4" phone plug into the the effects return. This cuts the signal to the power amp and effectively shuts off the speakers.

For the best sound, you will need some kind of speaker simulator to allow for the natural high end roll off of the speaker in your amp.
    Guitar amp speakers tend to roll off the highs starting at about 4-5K. If you go directly from the amp to the headphone amp your sound will be very bright and thin, because the speakers are now out of the signal path.
    You can use an eq ahead of the headphone amp to roll off the highs, or try rolling back on the guitar or amplifier tone controls.
    Roger C