Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know there has been Lawyers involved and Patent's registered for Ed to own the EVH Striped design we all know and love. But I need to know what Peavey's Stand point is as far as the EVH Custom Shop. You can submit a paint job that you would like done on your EVH Custom Shop Guitar. I would like to know what they would do if you were to submit the "EVH Striped" Design.
    I have sent them a mail regarding this two days ago and still no reply.
    What do you think?
    Opinions are like Assholes, everybody's got one.

Unchained
    Favorite VH Album

VH I
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m The One
    Last Online

05.01.13 @ 03:09 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nope.

I asked and they said, "no can do."

The whole stripe thing just kills me.

Ed, one question, why? Why not allow your faithful fans have a little pleasure and have a guitar with your signature stipes on it. What the hell difference does it make to you. Are you that concered someone's going to make $300 by spray painting your design on a guitar (or shoes for that matter)?

Give me a break! I know, I know...one break coming up.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Weird... And Peavey offers the stripe design on the inlays for $800...

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.02.14 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ed has always liked being different than every one else. He hates the copy thing. He is continuously trying to be unique as you can tell from way back in the day when he just started changing guitars and then finally just getting fed up with the charvel black and yellow fiasco. That was possibly his motivation for the "tripped-out" addition of red to the frankenstrat. But you always catch him making comments like while holding the Spanked Doubleneck "only one of its kind in the world man" He is TOTALLY into that whole scene! Do you know how much coin thy could have made if they sold striped kramers back in the heyday?! At NAMM a few years back when they unveiled the wolfgangs, ed was asked by a dude in the audience "when are you gonna make the striped ones?" and freakin Hartley goes "how many ya want, we're takin orders!" and ed promptly replies "nobody would want those anyway....it's just MY thing!" (Yeah right ed- you aint that dumb)
    Bottom line: Ed does not want a million copies of "his thing" running around out there to haunt him and to become over used.
    BTW MOJODOJO-DF. Is R.C. still in country?

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

10.02.14 @ 06:24 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

oh, another funny and pertinent ed story: A few years back at the NAMM show, Peavey had a custom made Striped wolfgang hanging on the wall at their display. There was some kinda drawing or some shit and this guy won the guitar! Of course, ed put the squash on that immediately- he figured if anyone is going to have a custom striped one of a kind wolfgang, it better be me! So you know the end of that story!
    So forget about Peavey selling striped wolfgangs.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A dealer in Canada won that striped Wolf, but Ed said "no way" so Peavey had to take it back. I don't think Ed liked those versions much anyway. The stripes are very precise, and the finish is glossy. It just doesn't "look right".

I wouldn't exactly say "forget about Peavey selling striped Wolfgangs". I would say forget it until Ed says it's ok. He may never, but you never know. Hell, if Peavey had it's way it would be a standard option by now...

Peavey actually did take orders on them at a show a couple or three years ago. The plan was to do a limited edition run, and maybe even have Ed sign the first few. They were going to auction the signed ones for charity, yada yada yada. Ed said no, so the idea is dropped for now.
    Peavey got pretty much got "anything goes" when the custom shop opened, EXCEPT for any version of the stripes.

[ January 29, 2003, 08:00 PM: Message edited by: rcrimm ]

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

So Hard . . .
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a picture of Eddie holding a Wolfgang with Striped HERE
    EVH: Definitely. Playing guitar was my sanctuary. It was the one place I could go to if I got fucked around by a girlfriend, or anyone else, for that matter. It still is. If thereís something I canít deal with, I can just spend hours playing. Itís a God-given gift Ė I certainly donít know where the ideas come from. Theyíre obviously given to you, and you have to keep your fingers moving and your mind quiet. I try my best to not think about thinking, so I can just let it flow. Because when I start thinking, forget it. <br />So....why he isn't playing guitar ? ? ?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think the whole reason what Eddie is mad about the striping of guitars is the guitar builders that charge $1,000 or more on a forged copy of his
    guitars. In a way I can see why he would be pissed about it especially when he built the original frankenstrat for around $250.00. And he himself has called it a piece of shit. So imagine guys capitalizing on something that is part of your identity and see how you would like it.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Um, is that a MIDI cord hanging out of that guitar? It looks too big to be a regular guitar cord. Plus it looks like there's another cord lower on the geetar...anyone?

Oh yeah, as far as the stripe thing goes, if I were trying to be original with a guitar paint job I wouldn't want anyone copying it either. That's just me. I would tell people to come up with their own cool paint scheme. Of course on the other hand I would really, really like to have a 5150 era Kramer in (what else) candy striped paint job...Ha Ha!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 05:17 PM
    Liked 69 Times in 28 Posts

Donor

Originally posted by chief99:
    Um, is that a MIDI cord hanging out of that guitar? It looks too big to be a regular guitar cord. Plus it looks like there's another cord lower on the geetar...anyone?

It is an antenna to prevent himself from getting wrapped up in his guitar cord.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's the best part of the peavey striped wolf story. Peavey actually had a picture on their site showing their namm display with the striped wolfgang in the middle. This same conversation was going on over at the Peavey BB and the customer support guys were totally denying it. They claimed that the Namm photo had been altered by someone and that really wasn't a striped wolfgang because ed wouldn't allow that. The one in the picture had red and white pick up covers. They also claimed that only 2 were made: 1 of which ed has and the other hangs in Hartley Peavey's office.
    The whole story about the Canadian dealer who won the striped wolfgang at Namm appeared on e-bay awhile back. The wolf matched the Namm pictures exactly. It even had the red and white pickup covers. The reps at peavey quickly shot this down and the e-bay auction appeared just as quickly.

My take on the whole striping issue is that if ed wants to hide out and do his own thing, then how the hell would he ever notice that others were playing guitars striped like him? Per ed at Namm..."see, i don't sell you guys shit." Nope... that's correct ed. you just blow us shit by threatening to sue anyone who admires and honors what you once were.

And as far as the "$1000 being too much for a replica argument"...Obviously these people have never actually tried to build a guitar. Based on the product that Rol was putting out and the price he was charging, he would've been lucky to clear $6/hour for his time! If peavey does ever make or offer one of these I'll guarantee you they'll jack the price up to about $4000! [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img] Christ, just look at the evh striped fret blocks they want $800 for! Total ripoff!!

Ryan

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sorry, but the picture from NAMM is a fake. It shows a standard with red and black pickups and a red back. Peavey never did a guitar like that. The pic was an obvious paste job anyway. If you want to see THAT guitar, check here:

http://www.guitarhangar.com/guitars/peawgcs.htm

This is the guitar (or one like it) from that fake pic, and it also confirms that Peavey did not do the paint job.

I have seen probably two or three dozen striped wolfs, and I am sure that there are more, but Peavey only did two. They both look exactly like the one Ed is holding in that Pic that VanHalen5150 posted above.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the info! I was always curious to know the true story behind that whole thing. It was actually a pretty long thread over at the peavey BB and was a real intersting read.

How does this guy get away with selling these?

Ryan

Favorite VH Album

all of them
    Favorite VH Song

all of them
    Last Online

04.23.05 @ 06:54 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was shown a similar pic to the one that was floating around at the time by a guy who owned the guitar store in West Ed Mall. He even said a guy in Quebec won it? It was the glossy standard with the black and red pickups. I remember because I thought the guitar kind of sucked. The arch top doesn't go with the stripes very well and I didn't like the red and black pickups. I think Ed must of made a stink about it and now Peavey plays dumb. I work in design and printing and we use Photoshop all day and that pic doesn't really look altered to me, but who knows? Sounds like an X-File... I also made a comment on the PV Board that I had that pic when whoever said that guitar never existed.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, ok, I admit it. We have to deny the existance of that guitar, because Ed threatened to "unleash the fooking fury" on us if we didn't...

Believe what you want. The whole thing started because some ebay scam artist tried to pass off a repainted Wolf as a "Secret Peavey Prototype". That is the only reason I ever commented at all, so someone wouldn't get screwed. Not that I can see if it matters at all whether Peavey painted it or not. Just how does that make it any more valuable???

Not to mention, just what reason would Peavey have for lying about it if they did it? Ed raising a stink? Big f'n whoop...

By the way I have the picture in question, but I am not about to upload to my website just to win an argument. Anybody wants it, I will be glad to email it to you. The guitar is identical to the one in the link I posted above, and is pasted into a shot of Peavey's NAMM booth.

Of course, I could be lying. I wouldn't want Ed sending the Wolfgang Police to my house... [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]