Register

Thread: Warmoth

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Ok, I've heard a lot of talk about how good Warmoth is. I've invested in a couple of books about building guitars and am going to order one and give it a whirl.

Is there anything I should know, or any suggestions anyone has. Does anyone have any complaints about the company?

Comments?
    Your favorite band sucks.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool! Good luck!
    What are you going to build? Strat style? Les Paul style? EBMM/EVH style?
    Post some pictures when you're done.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

never dealt with them personally yet, but haven't heard any complaints. check out the Custom Thrift Shop first, maybe you'll find something close to waht you want there, and you won't have to wait to have it made.
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

I'm looking at a PRS body, but with a wolfgang neck.

I'm waiting on my books to arrive, but I'll probably start ordering the thing soon.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No complaints about the company, but be "VERY" specific about what you want.
    Make sure you know what type of neck, frets, and body you want to create the sound you're after.
    The finished body and neck will be as good as anything on the market, but if you get it and put crappy pickups, or hardware, it's gonna sound and feel crappy. That won't be Warmoth's fault. It'll be yours for not knowing what you wanted in the first place. One "the" biggest problems is that guys aren't really sure what they want ahead of time and then wind up blaming the company for building them a shitty product. Know the sound you're after ahead of time, and exactly how you want the neck to feel. I'm not talking about "Ed's" sound. I mean, how much top end and bottom end, or mids are you looking for. A maple neck will sound different than a rosewood, etc..
    Xaminer, you'll get a great body and neck. I'm sure you'll get your money's worth from the company. Just make sure you get the right stuff to finish it off with. You're probably smarter to give the guitar to a luthier to finish off for you, as well as talk to someone experienced to help you decide the type of body and neck to sound like what you expect to hear, unless you really know what you're doing.
    It's a big investment, and should be great once it's done. Good luck with it bud.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

Thanks for the kind words tribb. Here's exactly what I'm looking at:

VIP2 body - mahogany with flame maple top, don't know on the color, but with a natural binding.

Birdseye neck with rosewood fretboard, wolfgang contour, warmoth headstock, 13deg angled, 6105 frets, no finish. I know birdseye is for looks and you won't see it, but I will playing the damn thing, so I want it, hee hee.

Gotoh 510 bridge, chrome, with Seth Lover pickup in the neck, either a custom custom or screaming deamon in the bridge.

bone nut, with gotoh tuners, and I'll order a special hipshot for a dropped d from stewmac.com

3way toggle and master volume, maybe a tone for versatility, but not sure. (might be safe to get a tone knob).

How's that sound?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A man who's done his homework. Good thinking, and very good wood combinations.
    First, ask warmoth to use a light weight mahogany, as opposed to a heavier weight.
    It sounds like you want to copy the wolf neck, but a wolf neck has a 15" radius, which will mean a big fairly wide neck, and which isn't really the best on a setup like you're talking about, for a couple of reasons. First, it might not be as comfortable as a compound radius of 12-15", or a straight 12" radius.
    Take the size of your hands into consideration as well. Smaller hands will feel more comfortable on a 12" radius, espeacially with big frets.
    If you lke the feel of an original EBMM EVH, they use a 10" radius. If you've played a wolf for a length of time then you might like a 15" radius, but a 12" is a nice compromise, because you said you're using a bone nut, which will mean a traditional neck. A 15" radius is wide, and probably won't line up properly with the Seth Lover's pole peices, especially in the neck position, even if they match the nut to the bridge. A 12" radius will be a better match for lining up the magnets on the pickups.
    The SL was designed for a standard neck, and a smaller radius.
    If you like big frets have a look at the 6100's, as opposed to the 6105's. They're just as tall, but rounder and sound fatter. More bottom end, but you don't lose the top end. I used to use 6105's but then had all my guitars equiped with 6100's which feel and sound better, again, if you like big frets. There's more mass to them, more string contact with the fret, and you can feel it and hear it. String bending is easy, even with heavier strings.
    Also, keep in mind that Warmoth will not warranty any neck they send out that isn't sealed and coated. You can ask for a very light coat of shellac in a satin finish, and use 0000 steel wool, or 1500 grit sandpaper to wear down the finish more.
    The pickups are another problem. With a mahogany body, and maple top, and a rosewood neck, with a traditional strat, or gibson style bridge, the Seth Lover will give the guitar an old Les Paul bite, which sound friggin amazing with just about any amp, dirty or clean.
    When you throw a custom custom, or even worse, a screaming demon in the bridge, you're gonna go from a nice fat punchy sound in the neck to a distorted squeal in the bridge.
    Neither one of those will sound as good as a SL in a mahogany body with a standard type bridge.
    As well, because the SL is much lower in output than either of the other 2 you mentioned, you're gonna have a major drop in volume as well as tone when switching between the 2.
    Seth's are fat and punchy sounding, and match well. I used them in the VH tribute for a long time, and with some extra gain added they can get you just about any sound you want.
    A lot of guys avoid them because of the cost, but if you can get a used pair you might want to think about it.
    You're really much better off using a Seth Lover in both positions, or a custom custom in both.
    A seth lover will give you a much wider variety of tones, cause it has a much wider tonal range than a high output pickup, without losing anything, especially in a mahogany body with a fixed bridge.
    A screaming demon will make your guitar sound like crap.
    Make sure you have a tone knob installed so you can get different variations.
    Gotoh bridges are ok, although nothing special, but for tuners you're better off with Grovers. There's much less slippage. Gotoh tuners are better with a double locking floyd system, where you don't really depend on the tuners to hold pitch.
    Real Kluson Deluxe tuners are excellent, and have a hole in the center of the post, so you can push the tip of the string down to get a grip before turning the peg.
    For a traditional neck you might want to think about Sperzel locking tuners. They hold really well too, and set up very quickly. No post wrap around. I use Klusons in 1, Sperzel lockers in another, Grovers in a 3rd, all strats, and Gotoh's for the EVH type floyd double locking guitars.
    I know I'll probably take heat for this, but I've found shaellers to be one of the worst tuners in a traditional neck because they slip so much after hard playing, especially when using a heavier guage string.
    The final decision is yours bud, but I love discussing this stuff so I've just passed along a few things to think about.
    If you make the right choice you'll end up with a guitar that will spoil you for any off the shelf guitar out there. I started having my guitars built for me awhile ago, and haven't found one in any store yet that compares to one that's made to your own specs. Sometimes it even takes a little while to get used to the feel that you specifically ordered, but once you do everything else feels like crap.

[ January 03, 2002 at 02:15 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>

Last Online

12.08.16 @ 03:21 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i've got a mahogany Hamer Steve Stevens with a Duncan JB in the bridge and a Lil 59 in the neck, and it sounds amazing. mahogany is the way to go, either by itself or with a maple cap. they have a couple VIP's in the thrift shop, not bound, but still nice looking-or

only one pickup though...couple of unfinished bodies there too. they do good paint work.

[ January 03, 2002 at 02:28 PM: Message edited by: twonabomber ]</p>
    "is this a good show tonight, or fuckin' what?" - DLR, Montreal, 11/10/07

Toronto 10/7...Cleveland 10/10...Toronto 10/12...Montreal 11/10