Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody out there have much experience with these bridges? I'm very, very seriously contemplating buying one to drop into my USA Fat Strat Texas Special, primarily because from what I've heard, they stay in tune better and have a smoother feel than a stock Strat bridge, and that they're supposed to pretty much just drop in without modification. I've already invested in locking Sperzels, had a graphite nut installed & lost the string tree, and it's helped greatly, but if a Wilk can do an even better job, I'm down with it.

Any feedback from the Wilk-experienced would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

***the sound of crickets chirping***
    What, me, worry?

Hot For Teacher
    Last Online

12.11.05 @ 03:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

** tumbleweed rollin' down street **

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by SirBrownSound:
    ***the sound of crickets chirping***
    LOL !! I don't think we are ignoring you I just don't have any experiance with them, My thoughts are if you want to use a bar however you like and that includes grabbing it and holding up the guitar and still want to be in tune, then you use a Floyd.
    I believe Ritchie Sambora uses one on his guitars but he only uses it very slightly.
    My guess would be it's better that a vintage Fender trem but not as good as a floyd in the stay in tune department, I have no clue about what it does to tone, like the floyds do.
    Rol.

so in a nut shell if your a serious bar user I say floyd, if you just dink with it once in a while for some slight vibrato then Wilkenson.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a Wilkinson on my Warmoth and it stays in tune great. Like Rol said though, if you want to abuse the wang bar, you should stick to a Floyd for tuning stability. However, I have mine set up to float and have Schaller Mini Locking tuners and an LSR Roller nut and roller string trees, and I can do pretty deep dives and come back up in perfect tune.

You can't do dives quite as deep on a Wilkinson as you can on a Floyd. You "bottom out" before the strings are completely detuned, but you can still drop it enough to do most dive bombs.

The feel is amazing. It's the smoothest feeling trem I've ever played. I only have two springs in mine and it returns to pitch perfectly. Set-up is a breeze, especially compared to a Floyd. It takes about 5 minutes to intonate the entire guitar. That's a welcome change over a Floyd for sure.

As far as tone, mine is on an Alder body with a maple neck and it resonates acoustically better than most other guitars I've played. It resonates better than my Wolfgangs, or my PRS CE24 which has the 6 stud trem.

Again, for ease of setup and great feel, this trem really excells. It truely is the smoothest feeling trem I've ever used. It stays in tune really well too. If you try to knock it out, you might. I don't think it's quite as stable as a Floyd, but it's a HUGE improvement over the standard Strat bridge.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Prages:
    "I have a Wilkinson on my Warmoth and it stays in tune great. Like Rol said though, if you want to abuse the wang bar, you should stick to a Floyd for tuning stability. However, I have mine set up to float and have Schaller Mini Locking tuners and an LSR Roller nut and roller string trees, and I can do pretty deep dives and come back up in perfect tune."

Thanks for the input! I'm actually not much of a whammy-abuser, but as you well know, if you play much of Ed's stuff, you're gonna need to do the odd dive bomb here and there, and while the changes I've already made have helped a good bit, I can still knock it a little out on occaision, and nothing... but nothing bombs a groove like going out of tune! I use my Floyd-equipped Soloist for most of the heavy, hard rockin' whammy work, but the pickups in that Strat sound so fucking good it gets harder and harder to put down by the day! (I've only had it a little over four months.) "Roller string tree"?! Hey... now there's something I really need to check out as well! I already removed the stock string tree, which was one of the main culprits along with the stock Fender tuners, but now, if I'm playing something requiring a bit of a heavy hand, like "Voodoo Chile" or "Pride & Joy" for instance, I've actually managed to yank the high "E" out of its groove in the nut a couple of times which is also obviously annoying as shit. Sounds like the Wilk & a roller tree might be just the ticket then, 'preciate it, man! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Say... out of curiosity (and to make it easier to find), who makes the roller tree, LSR?

Thanks again,

SBS

[ December 23, 2002, 01:22 PM: Message edited by: SirBrownSound ]
    What, me, worry?

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Just out of curiosity, have you tried Fender Bullets? The have special ball ends shaped like bullets to help keep you in tune. With the new nut and tuners, it seems like the bridge is the only place left for work. Check out the Fender bullets. I used them before I had a Floyd (preferred method [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] ), and my strat bridge kept the tuning pretty much in place. [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I got all of my hardware from Warmoth.

Here's the link to the roller tree.. (comes in a pack of 2)

http://www.warmoth.com/common/frames/hardware.htm

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, that link takes you to the main page. Click on String Retainers on the left side of the page and the roller trees are the first thing in the list.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Prages:
    Well, that link takes you to the main page. Click on String Retainers on the left side of the page and the roller trees are the first thing in the list.
    Thanks bro, you da man!

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

for floyds on regular strats do i have to cut out part of the wood on the back???

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Zman12345:
    for floyds on regular strats do i have to cut out part of the wood on the back???
    I'm pretty sure you'd have to do some routing to drop a Floyd in a Strat, but then I've never tried, so I could be way off base.