Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My local shop has a purple Flametop Special that was traded in recently. I was checking it out and noticed the finish has a defect that looks almost like fish-eye but it was tiny specs about the size of a grain of salt, particularly on the outside edges near the maple binding. It wasn't noticeable unless you were holding it and other than that, it was a beautiful guitar, not a scratch anywhere. The shop owner said that since it isn't "new", it'll probably sell for $900-$1000. Would the fish-eye be worth dicking around on price, if so, how much? It really wasn't that noticeable but for an instrument that retails for $1600 MSRP you would think it would be a flawless finish.

Any ideas? Anyone, Bueller, anyone?

[img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]
    "Nothing is fool-proof for a sufficiently talented fool."

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any chance that it's just a defect in the wood itself, or is there a dimpling of the finish?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I looked REAL close and it appears to be tiny dimples in the finish. Kind of like there was some oil or something on the surface of the wood before the top coat was sprayed on so it didn't stick. I've seen it in auto paint if the surface has wax or grease on it. Again, it wasn't awful, but I noticed it within a couple of minutes. BTW, I've looked at Standards & Specials & I think I like the flametop special the best. It sort of looks like a cross between a Wolf & a EBMM.

Last Online

03.29.06 @ 01:41 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Like I always say, I'm no expert, but isn't $900 - $1000 for a used Wolf Special kind of high? Does the flame top jack the price up that much? I've seen Standards going for less than that on ebay.
    "You guys never forced your babysitter to put her dirty feet all over your back-bottom while you handled up onto a tattered quilt?" - Fake Greggo
    "I like to put peaches in my panties and dance around until my knees bleed, Chuck." - Fake Billy Tubbs

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

I haven't bought a guitar off of e-bay yet, but I'd like to throw in my 2 cents.

It can sometimes be difficult/impossible to judge the physical condition of a guitar by the pictures they use online, but from a pure *appearance* aspect, the neck is usually what makes used Wolfs look ugly. Heck, even new ones in the store look dirty, if they've been played.

I don't have a Wolf, but my Axis uper Sport had grime on almost every fret on the neck....all I did was take off the old strings, clean it with Lemon Oil, and of course, throw on some new strings.

I had to almost "scrub" some of it off, but I used soft cheese cloth and was pretty careful about it.

There are other methods you can use with a Wolf (including steel wool, I believe) that can make the neck like new.

Didn't really solve any problems for you there, but it's something to keep in mind if the appearance of some of the guitars on E-bay turn you off.

I'd find it hard to swallow if I had to pay $1000 for a Used Wolf Special....the fact that the finish on this particular guitar is questionable, would only add more discomfort.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

I bought my purple flametop STANDARD at a music store for $800. It had one very hard to notice dents in it.
    Your favorite band sucks.

Banned!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

$900-$1000 for a used Flamtop special with dirt(or whatever) in the paint is a STEAL... for the dealer that is.. I could buy a NEW one for less. I could buy a used standard for way less then $900.

You could certainly find a used flametop special in mint condition for around $600..

I would laugh at a saleman who quoted me $900-$1000.
    Don't get ripped.

[ July 26, 2002, 08:09 AM: Message edited by: four4for ]

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

van halen
    Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i bought a killer standard dark cherry sunburst for $870 off e-bay, my only problem is that it has a cigar smell and there is some grime on the fret board. i will have to try the lemon oil cleaning technic from the post above.

by the way there was a brand new purple special flametop for $799. (e-bay) that i almost bought. i e-mailed the store and they said it was flawlwss. but of course you never know until you see it in person.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.14.17 @ 08:00 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Lemon Oil should do the trick for your stinky neck. Ha.

Seriously though, you may have to do it twice, but I'm still confident it'll override the cigar smell. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Regarding E-Bay, I was browsing some Wolfs this week, and I saw some store advertising a Korean Wolf as a "super ultra rare quilt top Wolfgang Special", etc.

It was bought by a collector, and sold to the store, so it was 2nd hand, but I guess not necessarily "used".

Anyway, it was only like the 1st day of bidding, and the thing was fetching $450 or something.

I emailed the 3 people who bid on it, as well as the seller, and told him that like Don Corleone, I've got no problem with a man trying to make a living, so long as his business doesn't interfere with my business.

Just joking.

Actually, I told him there isn't anything wrong with fetching as much as you can by selling things on E-Bay, but please.....list the thing as what it is.

I was polite, but to the point about it. He wrote me back and asked how I could verify it. This sort of made me uneasy, because if a store has a Korean Wolf, they should VERY WELL KNOW that it isn't a "normal" Wolf bought at "regular" prices.

Anyway, I cut him some slack, since it appears some "collector" pawned it off on his store. Luckily their was a zoomed-in picture of the back of the headstock, so it was easy to tell it was Korean due to the serial number (which began with a zero), and the obvious lack of Ed's signature.

He quickly retracted the add, changed it, and started the bidding over, advertising it as a Wolf QT made in Korea, so he seemed to be acting with honesty. He also had an outstanding seller's rating.

He'll still probably get freakin $800 for that thing, but like I said, that's not my business. More power to him. That's what America is about. I think it *IS* a problem if you're misrepresenting your stock, though.

Anyway, just a quick story.

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I thought it was a bit high. I have dealt with this guy quite a bit & it'll sit there until it comes down to $650 or so which is reasonable I think because it obviously hasn't been played. The finish defects are from Peavey. Outside of that it really is gorgeous. The purple flame is incredible.

Thanks for all the feedback.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Majestic, was that you that got him to start over.
    I saw that and wondered why he did did it.
    That was great steppin in that way.
    You may have kept some new player from getting screwed.
    Nothing wrong with getting a kor wolf as long as you know exactly what it is before you spend.
    Hard to believe a bussiness owner wouldn't be aware of what he had.
    ISM, if you can get him down to 650 that would be fine, but if it was selling at 650, with as beautiful a top as you say then it would probably be gone by now.
    I think you'd probably be doing very well if you can get him down to the 700-750 mark.
    Maybe you could get him to eat some of the tax.

[ July 26, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks, tribb. It's a VERY small store that sells very few electrics. I've seen guitars sit there that were just a tad high on the money for several years and then you walk in one day & BAM it's half price just to get it out the door. I bought my 12-string Takamine that way. If I miss this one, it's no big deal, they make 'em every day.

ISM