Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

03.21.10 @ 06:09 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey boyz, I am beginning player with an Yamaha acoustic. I really want to get an electric to start. Would it be poor form for a novice like me to buy a used EBMM or used Wolfgang?? I mean, sweet guitar, too bad the bastard can't play for shit. What do you think, what should I buy?? Thanks!!

[This message has been edited by Tommy (edited June 19, 2000 at 12:15 PM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tommy, if you can afford it go for it. The happier you are with the guitar the more you'll play.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks tribb, I'd like to, but I just don't want to look like an ass with a good axe and little ability. What should I look for in buying a used guitar??

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Who cares! If your lucky enough to be able to affoard one, go for it. Acomplished players won't give you grief for having a nice axe, we may be jealous but not thinking you don't desrve it. Now if you were kickin the shit out of it, you would, (and should) get grief, I never understood that Townsend/Hendrix thing
    And if you feel like a shmuck cause you have a great axe and no chops, what better motivation then a EVHMM

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium

Last Online

09.26.15 @ 08:25 PM
    Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

Tommy-
    I had an old Les Paul copy that I learned on, but hadn't really played it much for over 10 years. Decided to start playing and learning again, and bought myself a Wolfgang Special. After years of playing the cheap copy, i got turned on to what having a finely crafted instument feels like. Its much easier to play, and to tell you the truth, I have to consciously get myself to STOP playing. (Actually been to work late because of this). I think the biggest mistake you could make would probably be shelling out some bucks for a nice expensive guitar, then deciding to quit.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Agreed!! I appreciate the advise. I played piano for 10 years, then quit in college.I picked up the guitar to replace the piano. No way to carry a piano around. The only things that are hard for me are the $$$ for the guitar and time from work. I think for now I will try to find a very used Peavey or EBMM and have one of my friends see if it is still playable. I have some friends that are in bands here in chicago, hopefully they can help me. One of them actually told me to pick up a used strat and go from there.
    Thanks a lot.

[This message has been edited by Tommy (edited June 21, 2000 at 06:03 AM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tommy. At this point in your playing, no guitar will feel completely comfortable. That will happen as your hands strengthen and you progress. Just because one of your friends advised you to get a strat, that's no reason to get one. Maybe he figured if you got a strat it wouldn't be as big an investment, in case you decide to give it up.
    You won't look like an ass for owning a guitar that "you" want to play. Homeunit brought up a good point. You're always going to come across other players that may be jealous because you own an instrument that they can't afford. It's like the old joke about guitar players, How many guitar players does it take to screw in a light bulb? 12. 1 to screw it in, and 11 to say they could have done it better. Sad but true.
    A wolf is a good choice for a beginner, although it's pricey. It has a very comfortable neck. An EBMM EVH is very nice too, but if you're a beginner with large hands the small size of the neck could trip you up. If you're looking for an investment an EBMM will cost more and probably be worth more, but it might not be the guitar for you. If you're lucky enough to have access to both of those guitars try them and see what appeals to you. I hope you find the guitar that makes you want to play until your fingers hurt. Hell, for all any of us know, you might wind up becoming the next EVH.
    Make your own choice. You're the one that will have to put the time in. You might as well be as happy as possible with your instument. It should turn your crank every time you look at it, even before you pick it up. Good luck bro.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tribb, thanks again. Could you please tell me more about the neck size and shape of the wolf versus EBMM? I'm asking this partly in reference to you other posts here on the Fender thread.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, I don't know if explaining will help. It might be like explaining what it's like to drive a car when you've never been in one, but I'll try.
    I'm sure you'll get disagreements on this, but since you asked me, the Wolfgang kind of feels like a larger EBMM neck. Keep in mind I'm talking about the standard neck, not the special. I don't care for the neck on the wolf special, which doesn't mean it's not a good neck, just not for me. The standard wolf neck's not longer than the EBMM, the scales the same in that respect, but it's wider, and a little flatter on top. It has a very solid feel to it, even more than the EBMM, probably because of the graphite reinforcements in the neck.
    The back of the Wolf neck has the same rounded feel to it that the EB neck has. The wolf neck also has higher frets than the EB neck. Good or bad, depending on how you feel about taller frets. The wolf and EVH both have very fast necks when set up properly.
    The EVH simply has a smaller neck. The strings are spaced closer together, and the guitars ring differently when accoustic, and amplified. As I said, you should really play them both, or get someone you know who can play to show you the difference. I'm probably just confusing you.
    There's a no. of extremely good players on here. Homeunit, who posted above comes to mind as one. That boy kicks some serious ass.
    Homeunit if you read this maybe you want to give your opinion of the necks, and help our friend out.
    Tommy, I think in the end you're gonna have to take a chance and pick one over the other. Your hands will become accustomed to which ever neck you use the most. I got my first EBMM EVH in late 92, and it was my main guitar right up until 6 months or so ago. Once I got my first wolf it only took about 10 minutes to get used to that one, because they both seem to have the same kind of feel to them. I think those readers that have both will know what I'm talking about. They're both great guitars in their own way, and it's all about personal preferance.
    I know there's lots of guys on here gonna read this and say I'm full of shit, you should get a PRS this, or a fender that, but since you seem to be focused on a wolf or EBMM EVH, I'm just giving you my opinion on those. I've got a good strat at home that I love to play too, but The EVH, and Wolf are the only two I use live. I don't know how much more I can tell you, other than the final choice will have to be yours. Maybe you'll get more feedback from others that may make things a little more clear for you. I think when you come across the right guitar you'll know it. Again, good luck on your choice. Whatever you get, just play the shit out of it and you can only get better.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribb, thanks a million. I appreciate the advice. When I make the choice and get some $$ I let you know what happens. Hopefully, I can get one of my buddies to play them both for me. Thanks again.
    Later