Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a question on how to get the VH guitar sound like they had on the first album. What is a good amp, and processor to buy to get that sound? A processor under $200 would be nice.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 10:10 AM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

Jimbo, this topic should be in the "Guitar Room." Going to move it there, the guys there will give you some answers.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

ahhhhhhhh the search for the holy grail.....dude you can get fairly close but no one will ever nail that tone again..it had as much to do with eds hands and the studio as well as his gear..... tribb could probably really give good advice hes into the marshall plexi mods(lucky bastard).i know a really good plate reverb helps first off..i guess you already know a custom wound paf humbucker ,blazing el34 tubes,mxr phase 90,mxr flanger,celestion greenback speakers..blah blah blah..lol.....blah blah damn it !! i hate my rig !!! i want a modded plexi head !!!!

------------------
    eddie vanhalen , there is no substitute. member of the G4

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

It's tribb's job to sound like Eddie, he could probably lend a hand here. Where are ya man?

------------------
    Webmaster

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Marshall has released the plexi amps, the super leads.Thats what ed started with. Curt mitchell form the learn to burn guitar videos had a video called in the style of van halen he tells you what you need. Right now I have a crate digital amp....the gain isnt very powerfull I cant get a good van halen sound out of that amp . That amps mainly sounds like led zeppelin or acdc. In order to get a van halen sound I use a distortion pedal.....but thats too powerfull....ahhhhhh darn. This may help get a marshall amp ...they all sound good. Go to a guitar store try them out buy what you like if money can buy it. Then you need a mxr phase mainly used for solos on the first album. You can get one for about 65.00 at musicians friend.com. Take it from there maybe you could ask people who work at guitar store. But you have to try out the marshalls then see what effects you need. Sorry for all the writing....im bored and have nothing else to do......wait a minute ill play guitar yahooo....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jim
    My marshall's modded, but doesn't sound like the amp on the first album, and we all know Ed would sound like himself playing a 50.00 guitar through a pig nose amp. I don't use any effects except for some phase and delay, and sometimes some flange. I don't use any gain effects at all so I'm not the guy to talk to about that. I know there's guys on here that are a hell of a lot more knowledgable about Ed's sound than me.
    I think the right guitar, with the right pickup would make a huge difference, maybe more so than the amp, but I think if you get the right amp with enough gain you wouldn't need an extra gain pedal anyway. You could probably tune a 5150 in pretty close. After the first album Ed's sound changed, so I'd say get a marshall and go from there, but I doubt anyone will agree with me so I think it's just a matter of experimenting and letting your ears decide.
    I know that's really no help.
    I heard an amp called a line 6 spyder recently that sounded good with my guitar going through it. It's solid state, but does sound good when set up right, and pretty close to the early sound.
    Maybe you could just hit your local music store and try out everything you can.
    Sorry I couldn't help more, but I think your ears will have to make your mind up for you. Good luck.

Eruption
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 08:13 AM
    Liked 26 Times in 18 Posts

I would suggest starting with an older Marshall too. A plexi or super lead will cost you some bucks, but if you don't want to spend big dollars you could always get an old Marshall JMP 100 or 50 watt for around $600. Contrary to a lot of opinion, Eddie's tone on that first record is not overly distorted. He's just plain LOUD. That's pretty much where it's at when it comes to getting that big Marshall overdrive sound. One trick you could try is to use an overdrive pedal with the drive totally off and the level cranked. This will "slam" your front end of the am and help push your amp into that "melting tube" territory. So, crank your amp and don't bogg your signal down with multi-effects. I've always maintained that if it's a professional tone and rig you're after, stay away from the Zoom stuff and and the other multi-effects processors. Keeping it simple will help you get closer to that wonderful VH tone. ("simple" is a relative term. I ocaasionally use my Bradshaw switching system with two Marshall heads and a rack of stuff, but the overall tone is still very pure and simple.). Gook luck!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

I can get fairly close to Eddie's early tone on my 5150. Not that VH1 tone, as that is just a bit to sweet for the 5150, but more towards the VH2/WACF tone. If you crank a 5150's pre-gain rhythm past 7, it's way too buzzy and distorted, and sounds lousy I think. I keep that at about 6.5 and crank the post gain up and I am able to get fairly close to Ed's tone with a few other tweaks. I hate those multi-effects things and racks, so I just use a few stomp boxes, like the Phase 90, Boss Digital Delay, Boss Flange, that's basically it. I do have a rack that I use for one song to get a huge sweeping reverbed chorus, but man I just don't like that processed tone at all. I agree with Jape Man, keep your signal as clean as possible, when I've thrown all the effects on there is when I lose that Eddie warmth. Good luck.

------------------
    Webmaster

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

I used to run a 5150 head, 5150 slant cab, and a marshall slant cab. I'd run the 5150 into a Marshall power amp, then into a spx90 which split the signal. I'd be dry on the Marshall side, and wet on the Peavey side. Kind of a cheaper version of Eddie's setup. That worked for me but it's not really practical when your giging, so for that I was some what like Bretts.

------------------
    Guitar Room player files http://www.freedrive.com/
    UN: vhlinks
    PW: vhlinks

Baluchitherium
    G4

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Actually I just started playing guitar a while ago. I have a small crate gx-15 amp, and I bought a boss- metal zone pedal. That still doesn't give me the sound I want. The amp I am probably going to buy is the Marshall vs30r (30 watts). Then I am thinking I will have to buy a processor. Am I on the right track so far? What is a good processor to buy?

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Too many to choose from...
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 07:19 AM
    Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Don't buy a cheap Valvestate amp. just continue to save until you have enough to buy the 5150. This way you won't waste alot of money in between.

------------------
    Ian Anderson
    Guitar Room Moderator
    VHLinks.com

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should i get the peavey 5150 combo are the big stack?

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As a 5150 owner who DOESN'T play out anymore, I think a combo is FAR more practical--you can actually GO somewhere with it without a hernia.

As blasphemous as this will sound, I am into processors BIG TIME--I don't like a dry guitar sound. I use a cheapo Digitech TSR-12, and it does mostly everything I could want it to do. When it comes to deciding which multi-effects processor is best for you, keep in mind that with the amazing level of technology we have, even the inexpensive units are of great quality. My personal favorites are the Alesis Quadraverbs, even the old ones. You can pick one up from Ebay or whatever for a couple bills. The one thing I'm adamant on is to steer clear of boxes that say 'Crate' and 'ART'-these are NOT professional sounding at all, and I keep seeing them pop up used for almost NO money; people can't pawn them off fast enough. Also keep in mind that while more sophistated units are harder to program, they offer MUCH more flexibility than something that's TOO easy to use.

Overall, remember that you DON'T have to spend a lot of money to get good sounds, but you DO need to play well to sound good. And if you had a time machine, you could take a $300 unit of today back to 1985 and sell it to the Record Plant for $10,000. The biggest problem with processors is that most of them drop out when you switch patches on them. Watch for this if you need seamless changing-that will cost you more money. So look to all the major companies (Digitech, Alesis, Boss/Roland, etc) for affordable units, and look to t.c. electronics, lexicon, and Eventide for top of the line stuff. Question: anyone tried the new Behringer gear? Those are cheap, but I see them in studios EVERYWHERE nowadays, but I haven't had a chance to play with them.

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

02.27.08 @ 09:25 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I use the Digitech RP-20. The presets "Eddie of Old" (ala 1978)and factory presets 1 (5150 and newer). I have tweaked the config. some, but not much. I play through a "clean" amp. If you have two amps, the eddie of old works great due to a signal split config. To save money, buy a solid state monitor or cube. Check ebay or your local used music shop. I know this is cheating to the pureist, but is it about the music and having fun? Hope this helps you.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

The factory preset is actually called "Eddie Of Old?"

------------------
    Webmaster