Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Where exactly did he put it? I have a standard trem and was wondering how it worked. From the way I see it, I can't put it in and still be able to use the trem. Do I have to take off the pickguard? Thanx.

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think Ed did that with his Kramer guitar and that particular guitar did not have a pickgaurd on it so that might be what you have to do.

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You don't need a quarter under your bridge--Ed's guitar had a FLOYD ROSE on it, not a standard bridge. He put the quarter there to keep the bridge in place instead of floating.

I have blocked my 2 Floyd Rose guitars from being able to pull up, but i did it between the sustain block and body, so it's out of sight. I did this to help my tone out a bit, since a floating bridge absorbs and disperses too much pick attack for my tastes. And, since doing that, I have fallen in love with Strats, and I never use the vibrato bar on those, but i think the guitars look a little funny without them.

Anyway, spare yourself a quarter, some effort, and possibly a mangled guitar. You don't have any need for a quarter, or anything else, under your bridge.

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AbeVanHalen:
    Anyway, spare yourself a quarter, some effort, and possibly a mangled guitar. You don't have any need for a quarter, or anything else, under your bridge.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Then how do I keep it from floating?

------------------
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

On a standard tremolo bridge, you need to tighten and/or add more springs to pull the bridge against the body. Also, the little screws that hold the bridge to the body (6 of them) need to be loosened a LITTLE BIT. If you have just 2 big screws, leave them be. But the key is to increase the spring tension enough to pull the rear of the bridge to being in contact with the body. By the way, loosen the STRINGS before you do this, or else you'll be fighting more tension than you need to.

Hope this helps!

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanx man! That should help. I'm in the process of doing that right now. I don't have extra springs, so I'll do my best with them and the trem screws

------------------

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Working on a tremelo can me one of the most frustrating things in the world. If you don't know what you're doing, it's a real bitch. I gave up on my last guitar. I said "fuck it". I went down to the music store, bought a Wolfie, and now my "tremelo" works just fine. Of course the tremelo cost me $1279.03. Oh by the way, it happend to come with a guitar and strap,

The moral of the story: It pays to learn how to work on an axe and it pays to check the links for all the great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can still pull down on the tremlo you can't pull up

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You can put a little block of wood inside the back trem/spring cavity to partially block the trem too. Put it between the trem block and the body on the side closest to the pickup, or away from the bridge. The trem block rests against the wood and makes contact with the guitar body icreasing your tone by about 300%. This allows the trem to go down but not up like a wolf or evh.
    Just take your time measuring the cavity and the little block of wood so the trem block sits flat against the wood, and the trem, when looked at from above sits perfctly flat (parallel)to the body. Usually if it's a floyd bridge, a peice of wood 3/4" square, and 1/4" thick is a good place to start. You might have to sand a bit, or it might be a perfect fit. It doesn't have to be hardwood either. Actually, I've tried different kinds of wood, and soft wood like poplar or spruce works very well. Just make sure the top of the little wood block is flush with the body so the trem springs don't touch it when they stretch back and forth. A little wood glue to hold it in place, and you're ready to go.
    Just give the glue about 24 hours to dry and cure properly, letting the trem block hold it in place. If you want to later on, you can always pop out the block to make it free floating again.
    Ok, I'll stop rambling now.

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    You can put a little block of wood inside the back trem/spring cavity to partially block the trem too. Put it between the trem block and the body on the side closest to the pickup, or away from the bridge. The trem block rests against the wood and makes contact with the guitar body icreasing your tone by about 300%. This allows the trem to go down but not up like a wolf or evh.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's exactly what I did, and it works great

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

tribb and homeunit, I'm lost on where to put that block of wood exactly. I know, I'm stupid One of you two outta take a picture of it and post it on here. Doesn't matter though.

------------------

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

KV, you're not stupid at all. You just need a reference point. After you take the plastic trem cover off the back, put the guitar on your lap face down, with the headstock pointing left. Now the trem block, which is connected to the springs will be on your right side.
    The trem block is that peice of metal that the springs are connected to. One side of the tension spring is rounded, and that goes to the claw that's screwed into the body on the left side, and the other side of the spring has a sort of little straight hook that goes into a hole on the trem block, and keeps the block centered in the cavity, by the correct tension on the springs. If the block is centered properly, you'll notice that there's space between the block and wood, on both sides of it. This allows the trem block to rock back and forth, which causes the trem, looked at from the face of the guitar, to move up and down.
    The little peice of wood goes between the metal trem block and the part of the body wood cavity that's under the springs. There's only about 1/4" of space in there, which is why I said to use a peice of wood 3/4" sq., by 1/4" thick. If it's cut to the right size and thickness it'll fit into that slot just right. Move the trem block back and forth with your hand, and look at the top of the guitar while your doing it. You only want the trem to divebomb, or go down as you push the trem arm down towards the strings. When you release the arm, the trem block should make contact with the wood, keeping the trem(floyd), flush, or parallel with the body on top, so it sits almost like a regular bridge till you push down on the bar again.
    I hope I haven't confused you more, and hopefully I've made sense, but if you're still not sure email me and I'll try to get a picture or drawing to you. Good luck with it.

[This message has been edited by tribb (edited March 05, 2001 at 09:37 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i think you mean the intonation.....

------------------
    Eddie Van Halen , there is no substitute.... Member of the G4 ...... fuck all boy bands....."Its restAraunt with an A !"

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You didn't confuse me. I thought maybe I knew what the trem block was, but I wasn't sure. I have a standard trem by the way. I tightened the springs and loosened the six screws that hold on the bridge like you said to do. It helped a lot. When I divebomb on the whammy bar, the strings get really loose, which is how I like it. Makes really cool sounds The G string actually sticks to the pole on the middle pickup and it makes a cool effect. My next task is to get the fine tuners properly adjusted. My guitar professor told me the only one that's in place is the high E. It's the only one that's a perfect octave at the 12th fret where the double dot inlays are at on the neck. I hope it won't cost me much to get them adjusted. Thanx.

------------------

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Probably

------------------