Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Here's a question for just the "musicians" [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img] out there.
    This "is" the guitar room, but if you're a bass player or a keyboard player, or even a (gulp)drummer [img]smilies/scared.gif[/img]who can only count to 10 when there's 5 sets of sticks in front of him, you're still one of us, so your opinion counts too.
    Well...I don't know about drummers...yea, ok your opinion counts too.
    Doesn't matter if you've been playing a month, or 50 years.
    With all the speculation on what VH might, or might not be doing, do you still find your playing and musical direction influenced by Ed more than other guitarists, like say,
    Wengie [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] for instance, or did you just say screw it and get into guitarists that are still on the planet.
    Also, has your taste in equipment and the way it sounds changed since VH's been gone for a couple or five years.
    At one time we all wanted to play like Edward, (well I did anyway), but now...what do you think?
    Do you still pick up your guitars and think about soloing like Ed, or is that just a memory?
    Do you bass players still run around the room slamming into walls with your bass on, thinking about one of Mikey's solo's, or has wedding music taken it's place?
    How about the drummers? Do you still feel the need to surround yourself with every kind of tom, and cymbal imaginable, and some that aren't, while you build a door out of congas and roto toms?
    Those of you that don't play an instrument, and just listen to music, I'm sure your opinion's important too, just not to us. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
    This is the guitar forum so take it somewhere else. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img]

I couldn't find a place for it, but I just had to come back and put one of these bouncy guys up. [img]smilies/bounce.gif[/img]

[ October 21, 2001 at 08:25 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Baluchitherium
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

Many
    Last Online

05.12.06 @ 06:39 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Eddie is the man, he always will be. No one influences me more, and probably no one ever will. Learning his stuff is a challenge most of the time and always fun and innovative. Most of the stuff I learn is VH, so yes Eddie still influences me, no one else comes close!! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    I am awesome

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

11.22.10 @ 04:57 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ya know ... it's like reading , and I'm reading the same book sine 16 years , buying new ones ... but still like and love the first book i bought ! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Eddie Van Halen i history ... and I'm honorated to be able to play his kinda of stuf ! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] YUNNNKK [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
    The biggest Van halen fan from italy and ... of course ... the Yuuunnkkk creator !!

my youtube channel
    http://www.youtube.com/user/BlackWol...0?feature=mhum

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ohhhh ... smell ... my american is still so bad ! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] YUNNNKKKK [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    The biggest Van halen fan from italy and ... of course ... the Yuuunnkkk creator !!

my youtube channel

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I first started playing, I was enamored by everything Eddie played. I, like so many, wanted to play just like him. I learned his stuff, note-for-note, record-for-record (for the most part), while playing alone in my room.

Once I formed a band, even if just to play around with in a house or garage or whatever, the influence was still there, but my interests had branched out somewhat, although not a whole lot.

By the time a had a 'serious' band, my focus shifted into writing and performing and recording more than anything else. So, I began studying many aspects of music, life, the world, etc. By the time my first band had gotten its first taste of success (and several reality shocks), I realized that, while Ed's influence will always be a PART of what I do, it's a remote, distant creature. I haven't learned ANYTHING by Ed since Balance ran its course, and by then it was a matter of just playing the stuff; I wasn't learning anything really 'new'. It wasn't enhancing my chops or vacabulary or anything.

I still love to listen to Ed play, but I would say that the direct 'influence' actually passed me by around 8 years ago, and I've gone further and further from anything Ed-like ever since. Nothing he has done/not done since then has had any real impact on me as a musician. There's already one of him out there; no need, or room, for one more. But he taught me the most important lesson: be true to yourself first.

That is perhaps the greatest influence he could impart on someone, and it's an invaluable lesson to learn.
    Don't bark at me...<b>I</b> didn't name ya.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Abe, a serious post from you. Is the sky falling? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
    Actually, I think for most of us, the fact that Ed's been gone for so long makes it harder to be affected by his music on a regular basis.
    I agree that no one will ever sound like Ed.

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

06.23.17 @ 09:49 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

id say im split down the middle. i still have my edward time and when i do solo its always gonna have some edward style to it. but the band im in now plays alot of deftones and korn so im finding myself trying to get that tone and style now which is fine cause that stuff is really fun to play.and i find myself listening to that stuff now more since vh hasnt released anything in so long and ive practiclly wore out my bootlegs. and its actually cool to go to an interactive website like deftones.com and see all kinds of updates and news from the band to its fans. but edward will always be my main influence and my idol . but ive learned not every song needs wammy bar or every guitar i play needs a floyd rose. but still edward totally rules !!!!
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Deftones , now and forever and only second to VH.

Dave or Sammy ?.........pffffft Eddie.

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Eddie Van Halen that I was always influenced by was the 1978-1985 Eddie. Nothing on any of the Hagar albums really impressed me at all besides a few riffs or licks here and there. I was always into learning everything he did and then I basically moved on. I started hearing about guys named Chris Impellitteri and Tony MacAlpine and how good they were. I started listening to those guys and although my style is very different from them, one thing that I picked up and do frequently is 6-string arpeggios where every note is picked. That's something that I don't think EVH ever really did. Also, if you're caught sounding too much like Eddie you've ran into that dated/labeled-California style which is basically a dead form of guitar playing. Thanks to all the hair band losers of the 80's it's suicide to sound too much like Eddie and you'll never be taken seriously.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Rick, it sounds like you're putting that 7 string to good use.

Axeslinger, even though I have to disagree with you about the Sammy era tunes not being impressive, I think you're right on the money about the 80's hair band posers oversaturating the market with VH ripoffs, and doing nothing good for guitar.

Eddie_I, What did you say?? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

When I first started playing, I started on bass playing country/jazz. I was 8 or 9.

The first VH tune I remember hear was Unchained and from that point on I was pretty much finished with bass [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] The funny thing was the version of Unchained I first heard was being played by some guy in a music store!

I started playing guitar with my dad's band and met a drummer. We started jamming on our own and he introduced me to the classics, Zep, Floyd, etc. I took lessons from a great guitar teacher for about 5 years or so, and I was obsessed with the guitar.

The first VH album that really hit me was 5150. You have to remember I was 12 when 5150 came out. When I first heard WCTBL on the radio, it changed me forever. I couldn't believe that song could be structured to sound like that. It was so together and complete to me. Generally, I'd hear a tune and I could pick out what instrument was doing what, but that keyboard riff killed me, I couldn't figure out how he could make a guitar sound like that! lol Of course I bought the album and that did it for me, I was an Eddie worshipper, almost to a pathological point.

I went out and bought all the Dave era albums and just about puked when I heard them. This guy sounded like what I thought Page should have been. I was seriously depressed for a while, cause up until that point I was thinking, (and was told) that I was a pretty good guitar player, what a joke LOL!

Needless to say I had my work cut out for me. I devoured 5150, bought the tab book, learned every tune, (I mean every tune), I put a bass A string on my guitar to learn Good Enough, taught myself all the keyboard tunes on guitar, then figured them out on my dad's keyboard. 5150 was an absolute bitch to learn! Summer Nights, and Get Up, through me for a loop at first, then I tried to buy a Stieny, but 3K was something I couldn't come up with LOL, so I learned all the parts then tried to transpose it to regular guitar. Like I said I was obsessed.

At the same time, my cousin who had a satellite dish and was glued to MTV 24/7 was instructed by me to record every VH thing that came on. LWAN floored me again! I learned all the tunes the way they played them there. The 5150 solo was insane to me. His solo spot stopped me in my tracks again; I'd never heard anything like that before. I learned what could of that, especially the 316 bit, and on one tape I had he did a little of Fur Elise, which I brought to my guitar teacher to help me learn.

Of course along with hearing all this music, I got into reading every interview with him, and the biggest thing that stuck out in my memory was him saying, "be yourself", "be spontaneous", and "have fun". Well to be spontaneous you need to have enough theory under your belt to be able to wing it, so I got right into theory, devoured all I could. I took jazz lessons, classical lessons, fusion lessons, anything I could to make myself a good player.

Of course at the same time, I was also consumed with VH1, VH2, Fair Warning, and Diver Down LOL! His whole attitude to playing seemed to come through in everything he played. Reading about how he did the Little Guitars intro exemplified his whole approach to just figuring out a way to make it work.

In 1988, I was 15/16 and when the world album premier of OU812 was broadcast, I had a cassette in my tape player and recorded the whole thing. Black & Blue was the first tune I heard and I loved it. When I heard Mine All Mine for the first time, that really did me in! lol I was young and raised in a very religious family and hearing Sam sing about the difficulties of religion really hit me. The words were a perfect match for the emotional musical landscape that the band had created. The whole idea of searching for truth, while at the same time living in today was quite timely for me. It was a fun time in my life, I was playing in a popular cover band, had tons of friends, and was just having an all around good time, and that album was the perfect soundtrack for my life at the time. The first time I heard Cabo Wabo I knew that I'd have to go there. It took me a long while but I've since spent close to 3 months down there! (Gee I wasn't influence by VH or anything! lol).

By this time I was the resident Eddie clone, I won a few guitar competitions and my whole life was guitar. I did this guitar competition on the radio and after I played the DJ said "Jesus my playing was a dead ringer for Ed". It was supposed to be a compliment but I didn't take it that way at all. I was pissed, and I realized that I needed to lay off the VH for a while! I got into completely different music, (Peter Gabriel, surprise, surprise, and progressive jazz, and classical music), I stopped listening to VH, and most popular music and tried to start to develop my own thing. The biggest piss off to me was I thought that Ed pretty much had it all covered, he could play anything so in my eyes he was the best.

After awhile, I started getting into Via, and Satch and really got off on the stuff. I learned all the wacky stuff from flexible, little green men; I need some junk, the attitude song. With Joe a got into surfing with the alien and I loved all that stuff. I never got into classical type of players because to me they all sounded the same and had no personality.

By the time FUCK came out I was ready for it. I completely devoured that albums as well but started to notice that there were songs that I didn't like at all. Man on a mission, and in and out just didn't make sense to me. I also noticed that a lot of Edís playing, while good, didn't really fit with my ideas of what I would like to do. This realization made me very happy, because to me it told me that I was developing my own personality on the guitar. Of course songs like the pleasure dome and the dream is over, as well as poundcake and judgment day just killed me.

By this time I was playing in an original band and other than jamming on judgment day or some old tunes like Romeoís delight I really stayed away from the VH stuff, although a few of my first tunes that I wrote really had the influence. I got really busy writing with this band and kind of got out of most popular music altogether except for the radio which I thought was mostly shit. I remember we went to see them and Eddie was just horrible. He was messing up all night, and during his solo spot, he stopped after about five minutes and said sorry that's the best I can do tonight. I wasn't too happy at all.

By the time balance came out I was pretty much out of my VH craze, and when I got the CD I didn't really give it a chance. At the time it was too poppy for my tastes. I was listening to Metallica Pantara, and Megadeath and a lot of really heavy music. When I heard Sam quit I didn't even pay attention. I was too busy doing my own thing to even care.

The band that I was in eventually dissolves and I got married, (sorta), and got out of playing seriously for close to five years. My wife and I started planning a 6-week backpacking trip and we decided on the Baja peninsula, well guess whatís at the tip of that peninsula? Thatís right, the Cabo Wabo! We made it down there and the vibe of the place is unreal, it stinks of VH, a very, very cool place. Then one day I discovered this place and started browsing. I got back into enjoying music for its own sake and started listing to my VH collection again. The first album I put on was balance and it killed me. I really enjoyed it and to this day, even after collecting all the boots that I have itís still my favorite VH album.

These days I listen to VH for the vibe and a lot of fond memories, but Iím into different stuff, Kings X, Big Wreck, heavier stuff, and then weirdo stuff, some European dance and house music, Celtic stuff, I still love jazz and fusion, (not dream theater!), frank zappa. Another thing thatís struck my fancy these days is the building of a great tone, and Eddie really taught us a lot on how to make that happen. I love aspects of Edís tone, but I wouldnít want it for nothing, Iíll take the woody DDL tone, along with that almost single coil live Balance tone and work with it, but thatís about it. I just want to be able to recreate the tone ideas that I have in my head, ask Tribb, heíll tell you how anal I am about that LOL!

Well Iíve just noticed that Iíve started writing a book, so Iíll stop rambling soon [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

Does Ed still influence me? You bet! I couldnít write a solo to save my life, whatís the point? Itís all about expressing whatís emotionally going on inside you at the time. The way I play chords and the relationship between my left and right hand are a direct result of me cutting my teeth on Edís playing. Iím not a speed picker; I pick every other note maybe, or sometimes just the first one lol! I donít really tap anymore, but Iím naked without a bar even though I donít use it much. The biggest influence Ed still has on my is the idea of making your playing mean something, and trying to keep it tasty. Unfortunately he seems to be the only one who can do it 99% of the time!
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

who influenced your writing? Tolstoy? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] did i even spell that right? and whats the gauge of a bass a string? ive always wondered that.
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

MCMLXXXIV
    Favorite VH Song

D.O.A.
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Homeunit that was a good post. It was very very very LONG but a very interesting story. Rock on brothas!! [img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just to add a bit more to homeunit's loooongg post, lol, it explains his writing more clearly to me.
    If you listen to the material that he writes, although it's not something that Ed's actually written, rythmically it sounds like something Ed would actually write. His (homeunit's) sense of timing and note placement is very off the cuff, and definitely not standard.
    I'm a big fan of his original music, and wish I could write like that.
    And by the way homeunit, you really are one anal mother.... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] [img]smilies/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

mean street
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

hey hes in the g4 what do ya excpect? [img]smilies/thumb.gif[/img] [img]smilies/cool.gif[/img]
    www.rickshick.tumblr.com

1love4chi

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I remember the first time i was trying to do Eddie VH .
    I have bought the "live w. a net" video concert and I was blow away from me looking to the amazing stuff eddie was doing .
    I focalize on the guitar solo as much of us i think . and i started to rewind and make slower the motion on the picture , trying to figure out what the hell eddie was doing .
    Guys it was in 1987 and I was 17 years old !
    Then i tryed to put the fingers on the fret of a old rabbish guitar i had .
    That was my first guitar lesson from Eddie [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ... I know in my mind note x note of that guitar solo ... note x note , and every move on the stage he did , how he jump , and all ...
    My God .... that's pure love guys ...

Ovially ... i didn't look only to Eddie later ... but in the first year of my guitar run I was a tapping player .
    I loved Hendrix Too ... loving his live in Woodstook , the Who ...
    I liked and studyed Malmsteen , but i figured out he was a little bit ice in his playing !
    Steve vai ... wouhhh guys ... but ... i can't do any stuff of him ... too ... bohhh ... can't play him !

Then ya know ... guys like Greg Howe , Vito Bratta , George Linch ( when the dreammmm warriors !!! ) , Randy Rhoads , Gary Moore ... at the end of 80s we had all the greatest guitar player !!
    But now ... after years ... I'm still looking to Eddie solo on "Live without a net " scoring that now ... no new stimolant guitar stuff is done . No new talent guitarist came out . All we hear now is a Grunge-Punk out of tone music .
    How may I be influenced from music that i feel older than the one i play ?

my youtube channel