Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to sound like too much of a dickhead here ( I know..too late [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), but aside from a few guys that don't worry about the "brown sound", most guys seem only interested in getting that one sound.
    I changed back to a strat to go back to the music I want to play and also because I love the sound of a strat.
    I'm probably pissing up a rope here, being in a VH type forum, but I just wanted to show that a single coil strat can also be a versatile and fun instrument to play.
    The playing's nothing special, just jamming, but I was having a hell of a good time. I'm looking forward to it again this year.
    Since this is the guitar forum I took a couple of short 1 minute clips off some live jams I did last year. The software demo I have only allows 1 minute so I did 2 clips, 1 clean and one with a little more grunt, just to show the difference with a clean amp and using an MJM blues devil overdrive.
    Problem is I don't have anyplace to put sound clips onto.
    Would any of you guys know a site where you can upload this kind of stuff for free.

[ January 08, 2003, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by tribb:
    Not to sound like too much of a dickhead here ( I know..too late [img]tongue.gif[/img] ), but aside from a few guys that don't worry about the "brown sound", most guys seem only interested in getting that one sound.
    I changed back to a strat to go back to the music I want to play and also because I love the sound of a strat.
    I'm probably pissing up a rope here, being in a VH type forum, but I just wanted to show that a single coil strat can also be a versatile and fun instrument to play.
    The playing's nothing special, just jamming, but I was having a hell of a good time. I'm looking forward to it again this year.
    Since this is the guitar forum I took a couple of short 1 minute clips off some live jams I did last year. The software demo I have only allows 1 minute so I did 2 clips, 1 clean and one with a little more grunt, just to show the difference with a clean amp and using an MJM blues devil overdrive.
    Would any of you guys know a site where you can upload this kind of stuff for free.
    well yes I want that elusive brown sound but that's not all, there are several style that I play and I own quite a few different guitars and strats are one of my favs, like my "Monkeyfoot"
    tune nothing VH in that for sure

Rol.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

PM me. I can get them uploaded for you. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

[img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Originally posted by beetlejuice:
    [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]

wtf is that supposed to mean?
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Little Guitars/Unchained (tie)
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You're preachin' to the choir, here, Tribb. Some of us have had the good fortune to own a nice Strat and know what they can do... especially on position 4!

I still think the original "brown sound" is the standard by which all other electric guitar tones are to be judged, but Stevie's own incredible, legendary tone is a very, very close second in my book.

I just feel sorry for those who don't get it...
    [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]graemlins/sssh.gif[/img]

SBS
    What, me, worry?

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

All
    Favorite VH Song

unchained
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by homeunit:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by beetlejuice:
    [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img] </font>[/QUOTE]wtf is that supposed to mean?[/QB][/QUOTE]

I'm just tired that's all.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Well, getting that brown sound came easy for me a long time ago, but it certainly isn't characteristic of my sound or what I like to sound like when I play.

Until I got my Wolfie, my strat was my main axe, and probably still would be if I were currently gigging.

I'll have some new clips ready soon myself, and I think you'll like the strat tone.

Favorite VH Album

Last Online

12.05.17 @ 03:19 AM
    Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts

Although my favourite sound is that typical saturated-humbucker-through-a-Marshall, beloved of us all, I have to say I do like the sound of the right strat. In partcular, I love the way a good strat can ROAR with the right amount of overdrive. But my second favourite sound is that of a telecaster. Because there's not a lot of sustain with a tele (when you try to do a wailing bend it tends to just kind of go 'EEK!') you really have to fight it to make it play, and that makes you approach your playing differently. You're forced to work that guitar, rather than hammereing out the licks you can play in your sleep. I have a track I recorded with my tele, and I'll post it if anyone wants to hear it.
    HERE AND GONE by Haylen Beck (Stuart Neville writing as...) - "It doesn't get better than this." - Lee Child, "Highly recommended." - Harlan Coben, "Cancel all your plans and settle in for the ride." - Ruth Ware, "This is a book that lives up to the buzz." - Alafair Burke

Summer 2017 UK & North America

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Currently - Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.28.12 @ 10:39 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

tribb, send me a PM and I'll whop it up a la Homeunit's if you like...

Cheers,
    "<i>You can please <b>some</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time,<br />And <b>all</b> of the people <b>some</b> of the time,<br />But you can't please <b>all</b> of the people <b>all</b> of the time !</i>"<br /><br />(was Dave5150 on <b><i>The Pleasure Dome</i></b>)<br /><br />Check out some of my music at: <a href="http://www.dave5150.com" target="_blank">www.dave5150.com</a>

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

I agree with the comment about teles (all single coil guitar, IMO) taking A LOT OF WORK to sound good. Once you get it down though, the tones are endless. I like to play my strat because I seem to play it with more 'abandon'. I definitely play it different than my Hamer T-51 (which, BTW, has been modded with Duncan 59s). Both guitars 'play' the same, it's just that the single coils require more 'work', and therefore show the fruits of my efforts. My T-51 is my main axe now because I never have time for soundcheck. It always sounds 'pretty good'...it can sound great (my opinion there) but I have to tweak for 5-10 minutes and I usually just say "fuck it".
    My strat, OTOH, ALWAYS requires 15-25 minutes of tweaking to become pleasant to my ears.
    Speaking of tweaking , distortion tones are ez for me...it's those clean tones that are a motherfucker to dial in...

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Mondola. I appreciate that.
    cyberfiddl, I agree with you, except that i find it easier to get a clean sound than to get just the right amount of overdrive.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I was surprised by the no. of offers of help I received.
    Mondola got back to me quickly, and I owe him so to speak, so he gets to take first shot at me. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    They're just short 60 sec. clips taped live off the floor from a blues jam so excuse the quality( as well as the playing..lol).
    Ok, I've got my blindfold on, fire away. [img]graemlins/scared.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

...a link would help [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    My Band
    Baluchitherium

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Boy you really want first crack don't ya. [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    I've gotta wait for Mondola to set it up for me.