Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm confused was it the SD double custom or the SD Proshop EVH? But of course Seymour Duncan says the EVH isn't Edwards initials. Has anyone ever tried the EVH?

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I may be wrong here but back around 87-88 SD came out with the Double Custom, I remember contacting SD at that time and I still remember what the guy told me. " This is the pickup that we designed for Ed " I'm not sure when they introduced the EVH pup, but I am sure it was after the double custom. I used it for years and I enjoyed it. It was hooked to an alder body EVH replica I was using going into a JCM 800. The combo was great, big fat thumping lows with a nice eq of mid's and high's.
    I do plan on ordering a EVH sometime soon just to see what it sounds like.

Dave
    Spacetape.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes To Shove
    Last Online

05.17.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

By the way at the SD site you can try the custom and custom custom. They do sound different!

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally Ed took an old paf pickup out of he Gibson ES-335, rewired it to be hotter, and used it for his early stuff in his home made guitar. Not his design.
    Afterwards he started working on a pickup with Seymour Duncan, but that was never finished. There are a comments from SD as to why, but since Ed didn't finish it, it's just speculation.
    Seymour Duncan finished it himself and called it the Custom Custom humbucker.
    It didn't meet with Ed's approval so I can't see calling that Ed's pickup design.
    Seymour Duncan has come out with the new EVH pickup, but again, Ed never stated he played a part in the design of that and it's something SD did on his own to recreate the sound.
    Again, not Ed's design.
    When Ed teamed up with EBMM, he worked with Dimarzio for quite a long time ( I was told close to 2 years) to develop the pickups used in the original EBMM EVH guitar. He finished those, approved them and they were released as a pickup designed by Edward Van Halen. He stated that he designed them and was extremely happy with them.
    That was the first Edward designed pickup.
    Without going into the he said/she said debate again, they are not air nortons or tone zones or Ed would have just slapped a couple into the guitar and said, fine, let's use those.
    I've removed the pickups from an early EVH guitar, as well as the later models when they coated the back of the pickups black and standardized them, and compared them to air nortons and tone zones and there are obvious differences between them.
    The p/u for the EVH was designed for Ed's ear, in that guitar.
    When Ed teamed up with peavey, and wasn't allowed to take his designs with him, he said he was going to redesign the original pickups used in his first EVH design.
    Patents held by EBMM wouldn't allow him to build it to the exact same specs, but certain changes are allowed without affecting the patent.
    Both the wolf pickups and the EVH pickups measure about the same in output and reisistance, but sound quite different from each other.
    I believe it's because Peavey uses a different type of wire for winding, as well as a different type of magnet, which will cause the pickups to conduct differently and bring out a different kind of sound, even though they're used in the same type of basswood/maple top guitar.
    Neither Peavey, or EBMM has ever released the internal specs of their pickup for public viewing.
    And yes, at one time I did swap the pickups around, and it made no difference. They still sounded different.
    I can only assume Ed is still with peavey and the original wolf pickup might still go through some design changes if Ed chooses to go that way.
    Either way, based on that information, the only 2 pickups that Ed has actually designed are the EBMM EVH pickup and the pickup used in the Wolfgang.
    All the others are independant designs that are put together to "recreate" Ed's, based on other's speculation of that sound, sound but had nothing to do with Ed's design.

[ September 29, 2002, 09:24 AM: Message edited by: tribb ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 03:32 PM
    Liked 928 Times in 555 Posts

There was someone at the seymour duncan forum that put the EVH pickup in his Wolfgang and he really likes it . But for $160.00 it better be good . [img]tongue.gif[/img]
    You may think I`m being mean but I`m really just being sarcastic

Last Online

07.24.08 @ 07:55 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tribbs answer, from what I've read about this topic, is dead right on.

Just to add to the SD thing, early on SD tried to market a pickup as being Ed's design. Even sold some as such. Ed quickly went in and stopped that.

The only EVH endorsed / designed pickups are found in the EVH EB Music Man and the EVH Peavey Wolfgang.

Peace!
    First God - Then Family - Then Money - Then Van Halen

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:16 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 16 Posts

Apparently the EBMM pickup *could* be a Tone Zone with a different winding that changes the pickup's tone. Supposedly it is more focused, less floppy, and slightly louder than a TZ, but I couldn't verify that. Actually, I can't verify any of this.

I wasn't aware that DiMarzio has a custom shop (maybe they don't....I don't care anyway), but over at Harmony Central, there is someone claiming they ordered a 'Tone Zone Custom', that is supposedly the pickup in the EVH/Axis guitar.

I buy the theory of a rewound TZ in the guitar over them just plunking in a standard TZ. Too many people have said that a standard TZ sounds a little different for me to ignore that possibility.

And NO, even if they *were* stock TZs, neither EBMM nor Eddie would've admitted it, as it would've hurt sales, and his ego.

I myself am curious about the Duncan Custom Custom Custom, which is the CC with an alnico 5 magnet in it.

Little Dreamer
    Favorite VH Album

VH1
    Favorite VH Song

I\'m the one
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by Perfect4th:
    The only EVH endorsed / designed pickups are found in the EVH EB Music Man and the EVH Peavey Wolfgang.
    I just read this.....

Can you order these pickup separately (without the guitar)?
    Can I get a new VH album before I grew old?

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Although you see wolfgang pickups on ebay now and then, I've never seen the pickups out of an original EVH being sold on ebay.
    You can try a tone zone, but it's not the same pickup.

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Mutske, I highly recommend that you try a Duncan Custom Custom, or the Custom 5 (formerly the Custom Custom Custom).

They are both identical pickups, with the exception of the magnets they use. The Alnico V in the Custom 5, along with the wiring, etc. that is already a feature of the pickup, will supposedly make it sound like a hotter, louder 59'.

Both have lots of bass, good lower mids, small amounts of upper mids, and a smooth high end.

One is merely louder and more focused than the other.

One more thing, and I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Eddie used a few different pickups throughout his career. His recorded sounds are different than his live sounds. But one thing ALWAYS remains the same: NO UPPER MIDRANGE SIZZLE.

Period.
    End of Story.

High output, low output, tight focused bass, loose floppy bass, "barely-there" pinch harmonics, extremely loud pinch harmonics, tapped harmonics, WHATEVER....the bottom line is that he scoops out the upper midrange.

This would be the opposite of an early Metallica type sound, which has scooped lower mids, and increased upper mids (ouch!).

He is the anti-Jeff Beck and anti-Slash.

There are any number of pickups you'd probably be happy with, including some "old school" Duncans, so long as you stick to that rule.

I intend to order a Custom Custom for my old beat-up Charvel. If it's loud enough, I'll keep it. If it's not, I'll upgrade to the Custom 5 (Custom Custom Custom), and most certainly stick with that.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Push Comes To Shove
    Last Online

05.17.17 @ 01:34 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What I was thinkin' is that the high strings made the difference, compared to any other player, except maybe for Allan Holdsworth, who has the same 'warm' high tones. It never sounds thin. And it's not something you can correct with some eq.

Is this btw understandable?

Hi, Mutske, where do you live?

Sinner's Swing!
    Last Online

Originally posted by brat:
    who has the same 'warm' high tones. It never sounds thin. And it's not something you can correct with some eq.

Is this btw understandable?

It's completely understandable.

I've heard pickups that produced a "soft" or "sweet" tone on the top 2 or 3 strings, but then they didn't have the volume or "output" needed when tapping, etc. And I've also heard the exact opposite.

The Custom Custom, and also the Custom 5 supposedly solve this issue.

I happen to think the "mystery" pickups in my Axis guitars sound something along those lines, as do the Wolf pickups when played through a vintage or lower-gain amp. Neither pickup is supposedly as "sweet", toneful, and "brown" as the Duncan pickups, although I cannot attest to that.

You can always dig around Seymour Duncan's forums, the people there are rabid tone freaks.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

One more thing, and I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Eddie used a few different pickups throughout his career. His recorded sounds are different than his live sounds. But one thing ALWAYS remains the same: NO UPPER MIDRANGE SIZZLE.
    You can bet that's true. My luthier had a chance to see Ed's quilt top EVH up close in 94, and the first thing he noticed was that the bridge pickup, although it looked the same as the neck from a distance, was not the same pickup when viewed up close. It seems Ed was still experimenting.

Romeo Delight
    Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Supposedly, the Wolfgang pickups started out voiced pretty close the the Music Man Pickup Ed was using. They were then tweaked, till he was happy with the way they sounded in the Wolf.

The upper mids are scooped out somewhat, and the neck pickup (on the Wolf) has even more of a mid scoop than the bridge pickup.

The magnets are Alnico V, but I don't know about the wire.
    Roger C

Hot For Teacher
    Favorite VH Album

all
    Favorite VH Song

Summer Nights
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

High output, low output, tight focused bass, loose floppy bass, "barely-there" pinch harmonics, extremely loud pinch harmonics, tapped harmonics, WHATEVER....the bottom line is that he scoops out the upper midrange.

This would be the opposite of an early Metallica type sound, which has scooped lower mids, and increased upper mids (ouch!).

I'm using a 31 band eq-definatly overkill for the guitar but very effective for duplicating other peoples sound.
    Can you give me an idea of what to cut/boost do get Ed's sound?

The rumor: W.D.F.A-We Don't Fuck Around.<br />The truth: W.D.F.A-We Disregard Fans Abundently