Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

06.05.17 @ 08:59 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks,

well my ebay wolf hunt has taken on a bit of a new shape. It's been a week and I haven't seen much out there, so I have a few options before me and I was looking to hear everyone's opinion. My first option is to remain patient and keep looking for a standard. I'm kinda iffy on the Goldtop that's up there right now since I want really want a maple top finish. Problem is, 1100+ is still too much for a used wolf standard, in my book.

Anyway, another option occured to me....get a flametop special and then I'll have some extra cash left over for that 5150 head I've been coveting (my carvin MTS simply aint cuttin it anymore)....

...which leads me to a question. What are the major differences between the flametop special and the standards? Is the neck profile the same? how about the pickups?

Feel free to speak your mind....why should I or shouldn't I get a standard or a special flametop....

Thanks for everyone's help.

-Frank

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

I have to pick?
    Last Online

10.05.17 @ 11:44 AM
    Liked 14 Times in 6 Posts

Action Sound Music in Kilgore Texas has a red one. The flame on it is really nice, you could call them and ask if they would sell and ship to you. I buy there a lot, but have never asked them to ship anything. They are nice guys.

903-984-4262
    Your favorite band sucks.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The neck profile's exactly the same, and no 2 wolf necks are exactly alike anyway. The neck on a standard has a 10 degree tiltback, and the the standard uses bird's eye maple, as opposed to the speacial's rock maple. It's mainly a matter of looks. A special neck is just as hard, and durable. Soundwise, since most standards sound completely different from each other, the special flametop, also having a maple top should sound very much like, if not identical to the standard. There's been quite a few people on here that say they prefer the flame top special's sound and feel over the standard, but since it's all subjective you should try and play one before laying out your cash.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

09.26.12 @ 10:15 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The only noticable differences are:

The Special has a flat top, a rock maple neck, non-tilt headstock and chrome tuning heads.

The Standard is an arch-top, which means a little more maple, a birdseye neck, tilted headstock and pearloid tuning heads.

Mine sound very similar, although the Special is a little brighter.

They feel very much the same.

I actually took the birdseye neck off of my Standard and put it on the Special, so I now have a beautiful green flametop special with a birdseye neck and tilt headstock. For those of you that haven't seen the pics I posted at the Wolf's Den, the grain pattern is very unique and is actually in a chevron pattern.

If there is any interest in seeing the guitar, I'll take another pic and post it for you.
    If not, I'll mind my own damn business. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Definitely interested...

I Love looking at wolf pics. Especially since the wolfden seems to be down....

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The special flame top probably sounds brighter cause there isn't as much basswood. The amount of maple's the same. The tops on the standards are steamed and pressed on so they're no thicker than the specials. It's the basswood body that's carved to be curved on top.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Really?

Wow...I didn't realize you could steam and curve maple to that extent. I've seen warmoth body's with a contoured body have a slight curve in the maple cap...but no carved tops....

So as a result, I would assume the standard would be a bit darker, not brighter...due to more basswood...as you said

-F

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I had the neck off of my standard, you could see where the basswood ends and the maple begins. The maple is definately what is carved...not the basswood. There is a good 3/4 inch of maple in the middle and only about 1/4 around the sides.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BTW, I'll take a pic and post it this evening when I get home.

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

As promised, here are the pics of the green wolf.

I hope those work.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

wow,
    she's a beaut!
    -F

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That's a very nice flame top, but where are the pictures of the 3/4" maple top? What your saying is that since they book match the top, to get a 3/4" center height on a flat body they have to start off with a peice of maple that's at least 1 5/8 to 2" thick. Do you really believe Peavey would do that?
    They're not going to book match a peice of maple and then carve it because as you go further into the grain, the grain pattern will change.
    But I've gotta say, that green top is a a beautiful guitar. [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ February 27, 2002 at 07:14 PM: Message edited by: tribb ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

nicely figured neck [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

Top Of The World
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the compliments on the guitar.

As for the maple on the Standard...If I get a chance this weekend, I'll take the neck off of it and take a pic. I'm nearly positive that the maple cap is what is carved, but if it turns out that I'm wrong, I will gladly apologize and post the pic anyway.

Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Dreams
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No need to apologize, We're all wolf fans here....I'm curious as hell to find out what is it. I actually think it's more difficult to steam a 1/4 inch top onto a carve basswood body than to carve the maple.

Wait a minute...tribb...now that I'm thinking about this...have you seen the "Birth of a Wolf.." video that Peavey has on their website?

If you look carefully at the slides of the CNC Router stations, you'll see that the woman is putting body blanks that are pre laminated with the maple....and if you look real closely, it looks like the maple tops are a good 1/2 to 3/4 inchs...on top of an inch to inch and a half of basswood.

Having remembered that, I'll bet that the wolf maple top is what's carved. Prages, if you take your neck off this weekend, measure the amount of maple that is visible in the nack cavity. While you're at it, take the tremolo out, and measure the amount of maple visible in the tremolo cavity. That will be the most acurate tellall of how much maple is on the wolf, since that is going to be the thickest part of the guitar.

Now, having said all of that, I need to raise a contradictory point. If the maple is what is carved on the wolf and not the basswood, it does not explain why standards sound darker than others. If there's more maple on the guitar, they will sound brighter....not less so. Unless, the pickups are different on the wolf standard....

So many questions....

-Frank

P.S. The wolf hunt still sucks....there are two wolf standards on ebay that I would consider right now. Onces an amber and another is a green top.....and both sellers are smoking crack with thier asking price.

[ February 28, 2002 at 06:48 AM: Message edited by: strangegrey ]</p>