Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

07.17.17 @ 12:03 PM
    Liked 20 Times in 2 Posts

Donor

Guys, help me out here. I'm not a guru guitar tech, so I need some guidance.

I noticed yesterday that one of my Axis guitars is producing a scratching, static noise. I sort of sounds like water drops being dropped in hot oil... It is VERY noticeable.

I thought it was the cable, so I switched the cable, same thing. So I tried it with my other Axis, that one played clean with both cables. I think it's isolated to the guitar...

I don't know how long it's been going on, because I haven't played this guitar in quite a while.

So what do you guys think it might be? Bad wiring, soldering somewhere?
    You can lead a horse to water, but that still won't make him a duck!

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

fair warning
    Favorite VH Song

Bottoms Up
    Last Online

01.23.09 @ 11:26 AM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sounds to me like it may be a cold solder problem, but I'd also buy some contact cleaner at Radio Shack & give your pots a good blast just to be sure

[ November 25, 2002, 09:05 AM: Message edited by: SMUDGE NYC ]
    Plstrcast everywhere else, Smudge NYC here.. so kiss my arse!<br /><br /><a href="http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc" target="_blank">http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/smudgenyc</a>

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Also check the switch. Those go south more oftent than the pots.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

10.28.15 @ 05:22 PM
    Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

All excellent. Add to the list to check the jack and make sure the connections are good and then retighten it to the guitar. If the jack was loose in the first place, there is a good chance it just needs tightening. And go easy when cleaning your pots [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img]

[ November 25, 2002, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: el_jalepeno ]

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Originally posted by ebmm_axis:
    Guys, help me out here. I'm not a guru guitar tech, so I need some guidance.

I noticed yesterday that one of my Axis guitars is producing a scratching, static noise. I sort of sounds like water drops being dropped in hot oil... It is VERY noticeable.

I thought it was the cable, so I switched the cable, same thing. So I tried it with my other Axis, that one played clean with both cables. I think it's isolated to the guitar...

I don't know how long it's been going on, because I haven't played this guitar in quite a while.

So what do you guys think it might be? Bad wiring, soldering somewhere?
    does it do it all the time or only when your turning your volume ?? Larry brought up a good one
    if it's the "mini" toggle switch those are notorious for going flakey.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Flip the switch to all 3 positions, playing for a few minutes in between. If it happens in all 3 positions then it sounds like you have a bad volume pot, as a bad switch will tend to crackle in one position more than others.
    The pots are self lubricating and when you don't use it regularly you can get some corrosion across the sweep inside the pot.
    Turn the volume pot back and forth full sweep a few times and see if that helps at all. If it starts to quiet then you know it's the pot.
    Those output jacks hardly ever go bad, but you can try to wiggle the cord in the jack to see if it crackles. It's more than likely a dirty volume pot, especially if it hasn't been used in a while, but check the switch too.

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

Donor

Originally posted by tribb:
    Flip the switch to all 3 positions, playing for a few minutes in between. If it happens in all 3 positions then it sounds like you have a bad volume pot, as a bad switch will tend to crackle in one position more than others.
    The pots are self lubricating and when you don't use it regularly you can get some corrosion across the sweep inside the pot.
    Turn the volume pot back and forth full sweep a few times and see if that helps at all. If it starts to quiet then you know it's the pot.
    Those output jacks hardly ever go bad, but you can try to wiggle the cord in the jack to see if it crackles. It's more than likely a dirty volume pot, especially if it hasn't been used in a while, but check the switch too.
    I've tried wiggling the chord, doesn't seem to make a difference. In "sound" is also produced in all three positions. Turning the volume knob back and forth didn't affect it at all...

I guess I'll check out everything here... Thanx for your help, guys.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About it later
    Last Online

01.22.09 @ 09:08 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by tribb:
    I've tried wiggling the chord, doesn't seem to make a difference. In "sound" is also produced in all three positions. Turning the volume knob back and forth didn't affect it at all...

I guess I'll check out everything here... Thanx for your help, guys.
    </font>[/QUOTE]if that's the case then something is grounded that shouldn't be, look on the back of you pot to see if any wires are crossing, same with the output jack.
    Rol.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If the ground was bad you'd have extreme noise, or no sound at all, just buzzing.
    Another way to test for a bad ground is to touch the strings while it's buzzing. If it stops you may have a bad ground.
    If you have sound in all 3 positions and wiggling the chord made no difference then it looks like you have a bad volume pot.
    Change the pot to another 500 K ohm good quality pot and I'll bet the static noise stops.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

If the ground was bad you'd have extreme noise, or no sound at all, just buzzing.
    Another way to test for a bad ground is to touch the strings while it's buzzing. If it stops you may have a bad ground.
    If you have sound in all 3 positions and wiggling the chord made no difference then it looks like you have a bad volume pot.
    Change the pot to another 500 K ohm good quality pot and I'll bet the static noise stops.
    Exactly. Pots are cheap enough anyway. Just be careful that you don't overheat the pot when soldering or you can burn it out [img]graemlins/bounce.gif[/img]

Favorite VH Album

All of 'em
    Favorite VH Song

All of 'em
    Last Online

Donor

Well I started messing around with the guitar a little bit more last night. I started out by testing the switch in each position, AGAIN...

AND, guess what? After about 7 or 8 tests, the neck pickup crapped out. NO response from it in ANY position the switch is in. ZERO. And that sound is STILL produced from the bridge pickup. I guess it must be the switch... I dunno...

I'm not gonna fart around with it anymore. I'll just let the dealer do it, it's still under warranty.

[ November 27, 2002, 08:17 AM: Message edited by: ebmm_axis ]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen
    Favorite VH Song

Hot for Teacher
    Last Online

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

Donor

Well I started messing around with the guitar a little bit more last night. I started out by testing the switch in each position, AGAIN...

AND, guess what? After about 7 or 8 tests, the neck pickup crapped out. NO response from it in ANY position the switch is in. ZERO. And that sound is STILL produced from the bridge pickup. I guess it must be the switch... I dunno...

I'm not gonna fart around with it anymore. I'll just let the dealer do it, it's still under warranty.
    Warranty??? Hell yea, let them change out the electronics! [img]graemlins/thumb.gif[/img] Of course, can they do on site, or do they need to ship it out for a couple of weeks?

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.19.16 @ 05:15 PM
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

Donor

Those output jacks hardly ever go bad, but you can try to wiggle the cord in the jack to see if it crackles.
    Output jacks do get dirty. I have to polish the contacts in my fiddles every 3 months or so.
    I had a ground wire get disconnected (actually, I didn't solder it back on the volume pot when I did some repairs, but we won't tell anyone) and I got the same crappy stuff you're describing. It sounds as though it may be the ground wire on your flaky pickup. It could be discoed at either end of the wire. I had a Les Paul with PAFs and the wire connection at the p/u had a cold solder joint. It sounded bad or didn't work at all. This happened on the first gig I had it.