Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does raising and lowering the height of a pickup change the sound of the guitar?

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Good Enough
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The most obvious difference when raising or lowering your pickups is the output; the closer the pickup to the strings, the louder it will sound. (and vice-versa)

Beware, though...getting TOO close to the strings (especially with single coils, but humbuckers will exhibit the same behavior) can cause a drop in sustain from the magnets actually pulling the string to a stop. Also, too close a pickup can cause all sorts of bizarre false overtones and intonation problems, not to mention the possibility of having the string actually TOUCH the pickup--nice for a sound effect, but BAD for normal playing.

Another issue...any time you increase the output of a guitar by raising the pickups, you will experience SOME loss of treble and clarity. There IS a way to both increase output AND clarity simultaneously---simply replace your volume pot with one of a higher value. For example, if you use a humbucker with a 500k pot, install a 1 meg pot. It's not difficult, but any shop can do this cheaply (i would hope). Single coils work beautifully if you change the 250k to a 500k. By doing this, you don't need to get the pickup so close to the strings, thereby eliminating the aforementioned problems. This simple modification is something guitar makers could easily include while building the instruments, but they don't for whatever reasons.

If you have active pickups, forget everything I just said and put them as close as you want---the magnetic pull is MUCH lower than with passive ones.

Hope this helped!

Banned!
    Favorite VH Album

Van Halen I
    Favorite VH Song

Hmmm...don\'t have one
    Last Online

01.11.08 @ 09:17 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For starters, here's what I have:

A standard Fender Strat(lefty model)
    A CRATE GX15R amplifier.

My amp has this little thing on it called Overdrive. It makes the thin-sounding guitar sound more like a rock guitar. The only problem is that it produces a lot of feedback, especially when I have just one pickup activated(sounds backwards to me, but whatever). The first thing I noticed when raising the pickups was the volume increasing. That was cool, but a tad bit more feedback was there. And yeah, I got the poles on the pickups too close, so I had to lower them a little. I'd like to do what Eddie did and remove most of the pickguard and screw the pickups into the body. Less volume, but oh well. Better sustain. It's too bad they don't make lefty Floyd Rose tremolos(that I know of), or I'd get one. That'd make even better sustain for the strings. When I raise my pickups, I have the bass string side of them lower since those strings are thicker and will hit the pickups easier. Nice thing about the tremolo is when you press down the whammy bar for a lower pitch, the strings rise up. That's good for high pickups. Maybe I should get some of that paraffin wax and dip my pickups in them. Hope it doesn't melt them like what happened to Eddie. Anyway, thanx dude.

------------------
    Kenyon Vincent-the linker formerly known as Red-Balled Mammoth.
    "God bless ya southern California, you people are bad-asssss"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival.
    "No, that's not a microphone in my pants. I'm just happy to see ya, Californiaaaaaa!"-DLR at the '83 Us Festival

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

What AVH said is absolutely true, except for one thing. On certain pickups, moving it "slightly" closer to the strings will increase the clarity. It tends to work better on high output pickups. They won't sound more clear as you move it closer, but the notes will become more pronounced when doing leads. When chording though, it'll still sound as dirty as ever. Most manufacturers can tell you the ideal height of their pickup to string ratio.
    I found that the distance on my EBMM EVH's was too far away for my liking, but they're screwed right to the body so I put a peice of foam behind the pickups to raise them and it really made a difference. This crap about pickups having to be connected to the wood to have ultimate sustain is nonsense. My EVH pickups haven't lost one bit of sustain, probably the opposite. Pickups sustain through a magnetic field.