Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was just listening to the radio and the dj said that Creed's guitarist has been voted "best guitarist" in Guitar World's poll. Is this a joke? I realise Van Halen aren't currently doing anything (well, we know they are but there's no music out there) but even though, how could anybody like this guy beat Eddie, or Steve Vai, or Joe Satriani? I guess its important to release an album to be in the winner's list but I just can't believe one of these rock band wanna be guitarists has won this award. Just goes to show how shit GW is these days - I haven't bought an issue in years.

They played a Creed song that was meant to show this guy's so called "guitar god status" and he was very unimpressive - basically just strumming and power cords. What is this world coming to?!!

------------------
    RD

"Rock 'n' Roll is my second favourite thing in the whole world" - DLR (1983)

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guitar Magazine polls are the same as the student council elections in high school. It's nothing but a cheap popularity contest. Losing a poll like that means nothing; and likewise, winning such a poll means, well, nothing.

Kinda like winning a Grammy; once Milli Vanilli won theirs, I would think it an EMBARRASSMENT to win one any time after that, since the whole thing is nothing but a sad, sick joke.

People (ie SPIELBERG, COSTNER) often make movies for the sole purpose of winning awards. This brings them prestige, and assures others involved in the movie a nice pay raise for future projects. Really, Dances With Wolves did NOT have to be 128 HOURS long. Saving Private Ryan had LITTLE plot, but the gore and violence was a guarantee for an award. This isn't coincidence; it's about money. Guitar World gives awards (claiming that the readers voted, which i don't know if i believe) based on whose cover story will sell the most issues at the newsstand.

So, put NO credit in any guitar magazine polls; they are as much a crock as the guy from Creed is a crock guitarist.

------------------
    Official Calculator of the VHLinks...and damn proud!

[This message has been edited by AbeVanHalen (edited March 13, 2001 at 06:26 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen/Balance/5150
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained/5150/Don\'t Tell Me
    Last Online

04.29.16 @ 07:05 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Is the guy from Creed the greatest guitar player of all time? Absolutely not.

Does he craft clever riffs that seem to have a mass appeal. Yes.

Whether or not, it's original, Creed has brought back straight ahead rock and roll to the mainstream. I find it hard to beleive that most of us who tune our axes and practice our scales everyday, don't dream of writing "that" tune that everybody's talking about ("Higher")

It may be poppy and cliche like, but Creeds music does have a real "metal" edge to it that I was happy to see return to rock radio.

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

jimmy, I agree with what you're saying to an extent, but I really can't get past the fact that everybody is so disillusioned these days and think that a guy who can write a catchy song is a good guitarist (I don't mean you - I mean the general non-guitar-playing public)! I can't see the connection there myself.

What ever happened to origionality? I guess I've been around VH too long (who are without a doubt one of the most origional bands out there) but these guys just sound like pure Pearl Jam wanna be's to me. I don't mind "Higher" - I'll listen to it on the radio if it comes on but I just can't help but feel like I've heard this song before (you know, once in '97 then again in'98 etc - its the same old shit).

Regardless of the band's talent and/or writing potential I think it was a joke to give this guitarist (who's pretty basic you gotta admit) the award for best guitarist! They have to be having a big tug on their dicks to try and get away with this one. Like Abe said, if it means GW will sell some more issues with Creed on the cover best guitarist he shall get!

------------------
    RD

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

He's come up with some good stuff and he has a good tone.

Is he a great guitar player...Absolutely not.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

As EVH himself would say,"People always ask me,'who's the best' 'who's the best'? There is no best."

Or as Duke Ellington would say, "There's two kinds of music... good music and bad music."

And back to EVH..."If it sounds good, it is good."

Creed's music makes many people happy...it touches some chord in them...what else is required?

------------------
    "Van Halen fans been hangin' in there for a long time...they're probably the best fans in the world..."-Sammy

"Forget all about that macho shit and learn how to play guitar"-Mellencamp

The Sacramento Kings...There is no substitute!!!

Favorite VH Album

Balance
    Favorite VH Song

Mine All Mine
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like ole Tremonti. Hes got bad ass tone and he is a fucking riff master. Dittos to what Jimmy said bout creed.

People say that Tremonti can really play but he doesnt do much soloing cause its cliche or it doesnt go well with his songs.

------------------
    Hot damn burn an amsterdamn! "The almighy Red Rocker

On Fire
    Favorite VH Album

van halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

eruption
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

You are right raf...he can shred but doesn't do it on the albums because its just not the main rock style....you can't play minute long solos anymore inless you have been around for awhile and have a name for youself. Its sad because thats what guitar players love to do, solo. But eventually the guitar solos will come back! I have that issue and read the interview..I learned alot about creed he loves to shred metallica and halen riffs...he met evh and eddie gave him a black wolfgang...pretty cool

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.17.17 @ 11:54 PM
    Liked 11,602 Times in 4,946 Posts

Actually I think NOT doing a solo is pretty cliche now.

Creed opened some shows for VH on the VH3 tour I believe.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

[This message has been edited by Brett (edited March 14, 2001 at 09:24 AM).]

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Guys like Edward, Steve Vai, Satriani, etc..although they're major talents, haven't put anything out lately that's big on the world market.
    Creed is still out in the public's face, and remember, right now we're still in the boy and girl band era where the musicians stand in the background and play. The focus is on singers, lyrics, and beats rather than solos and riffs, just like it was during the diso era, only in a differnt way.
    That will change down the road cause music goes through phases, but Creed has a huge following and sell records, and make lots of cash for the record companys. You can't knock them cause they're talented at what they do. They're also in that middle ground that's big right now and they're working hard to say there. Those guys aren't slackers.
    I also don't think Ed or vai, etc.. will be voted the best anymore, cause you have to be out there plugging for quite awhile to be voted best and 1 album won't do it anymore when you're in your 40's.
    I don't think the guitarist for creed is anywhere near the best guitarist around, but right now he's attracting the crowds, and is a very proficient writer so until someone comes along that's a bigger cash cow it makes sense that he was voted the best.
    What I find pretty exciting is that there could be another 15 or 16 year old on these links right now that's practicing and writing his or her ass off.
    They could be the next guitar hero, coming up with brand new ideas, and maybe taking things to another level, and ignoring the boy band syndrome like Van Halen did with disco. Eveyone dreams of doing it, but right now one of you guys out there are doing something that could take the music world by storm. You never know who it may be, but I bet within the next 2-4 years the music industry will shift in another direction, and some kid working hard practicing in their bedroom will be the one taking it there.
    Ok, sorry for the babbling..

Eruption
    Favorite VH Album

VH II
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tribb:
    Guys like Edward, Steve Vai, Satriani, etc..although they're major talents, haven't put anything out lately that's big on the world market.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, I agree. But somebody else said that this Creed dude can really go off if he wants to. Well, so can Ed etc, but they didn't win the award. See what I'm getting at? If you have to release a record to have a chance, but you don't play amazingly on that record, how can you be any more eligable for this award than Eddie or Satch or Vai, who haven'tb released records?

i just reckon GW is just fucked. That was the point of this thread - not to point the finger at Creed or their guitarist, but to just prove how fucked up GW's priorities are. Like I said, I like Creed (although I think they are a serious Pearl Jam wanna be band), and I like "Higher" but I don't think this dude is worthy of an award that had previously been given to the like of EVH, Steve Vai. Maybe if he did show his talent a bit more he would be more eligable, but winning this thing from just strumming? Gimme a break!

------------------
    RD

"We don't go for perfection, we just go for spirit." - EVH (1981)

[This message has been edited by Romeo Delight (edited March 14, 2001 at 02:57 PM).]

Favorite VH Album

Cover Bands from Pasadena
    Favorite VH Song

Babe Don't leave Me Alone
    Last Online

09.05.15 @ 12:20 PM
    Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts

Well I think it's as much of a popularity contest as it's talent.

There are lots of guitarists that we've never heard of who are amazing players, and these guys will never be recognized for their talent until they move 1,000,000 units.

I've always found that guitar mags really just push well known people, so I think those polls/contests etc are horseshit.

That dude from creed plays safe heavy riffs and the singer's a pretty boy, so guys and gals listen to them and think that they're listening to something dark and heavy (HA!)

When they played Vancouver, Sevendust opened for them and my buddy who went said that a lot of the people didn't get them, they were too much. The funny thing is, those dudes from Sevendust have just as much (if not more) talent then Creed.

Good Enough
    Favorite VH Album

Carnal Knowledge
    Last Online

03.30.13 @ 09:28 AM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree. I don't think he got the award based strictly on talent, but like I said the band is a hard working cash cow right now and are making the record company happy, so they're pushing a lot of funds to get recognition and publicity for their client. Simple as that.
    If creed's next album goes down the toilet the record company will find someone else to fill the void, as long as it's one of their clients.
    When Ed won it year after year the boys were constantly touring and VH was a household name.
    VH won it based on talent, as did Vai and the other guitar players in the 80's and early 90's who took it, but music's changed in the last few years, and there is no one like that making big selling albums at the moment. Bands like Creed are a logical choice cause they sell albums and tour on a regular basis.
    I'm just scared one day we'll see a picture of N'Sync on the cover. That's when I'll put my guitar to rest for good.

Favorite VH Album

Van Halen 2
    Favorite VH Song

Dance the Night Away
    Last Online

@
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brett:
    Actually I think NOT doing a solo is pretty cliche now.

Creed opened some shows for VH on the VH3 tour I believe.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an excellent point. For years, guys like Tom Morello have slagged guitar solos, saying they want to "do their own thing." I think that's a convenient way of saying, "I make more NOISE than music." It's a total cop out...

------------------
    "Van Halen fans been hangin' in there for a long time...they're probably the best fans in the world..."-Sammy

"Forget all about that macho shit and learn how to play guitar"-Mellencamp

The Sacramento Kings...There is no substitute!!!

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hell no!!! Now the best guitarist out of the 00's would have to be IMHO Dave mr. fucking Grohl! You wanna know why? Lol ... He just won best guitarist of 01'? And him being a "drummer" that says some shiat!!!