Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

To whomever cares,

This post is in regards to the one that was posted in main about the Sea Hag, the thread was closed before I could post this message.

The basic problem, is this. Some of you are associating domers with Brad. The dome is like every site, it has its great people, its idiots and its trolls that came to cause shit.

Some people at the dome support Brad, some don't. Some members think Brad does a good job and don't.

Many people on this site espouse, healthy debate is just that, healthy. For whatever reason though, anyone who defends Brad or The Dome is immediately attacked. Not in a fair way either. In a below the belt way. These are not healthy debates, they are personal attacks.

Today, I feel like my friend was attacked and hurt on purpose.

Why?

Because she feels differently about Brad then some linkers.

Why is that a crime?

Here is my opinion;

The time has come for Brett to set the tone here. Not in "words", in "actions". This is his site. He should be calling the shots, not the moderators. If you want to be a moderator it should be understood clearly that you give up your right to be a loose cannon. If you want to be able to shoot your mouth off, fine, don't be a moderator.

If this site is really about being "the best", and being a home for "everyone" this is the time to show it. If you do, domers and Van Halen fans alike will reward you with their loyalty.

Flame away...
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Last Online

02.13.15 @ 08:56 AM
    Liked 8 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Originally posted by CHRIS:
    Here is my opinion;

The time has come for Brett to set the tone here. Not in "words", in "actions". This is his site. He should be calling the shots, not the moderators. If you want to be a moderator it should be understood clearly that you give up your right to be a loose cannon. If you want to be able to shoot your mouth off, fine, don't be a moderator.
    This suggests that there are moderators here who are loose cannons. Or who are calling the shots. Who are you referring to?

One of the best things about this place is that the moderators aren't asked to follow the leader blindly. I've NEVER had Brett (or Goo or Tim, Brett's right hand men) tell me how to moderate, one way or the other. I interpret that to mean that he has respect for my judgement, not that he has let his site get out of hand.

In the time since the PD has been closed, I've been told by a PD mod that they wished they could moderate there the way we do here. Then again, maybe that particular PD mod is just a loose cannon.

Anyway, I'd seriously like to know who this (or these) Links moderators are that you believe to be loose cannons.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Posted by Cabo Kid: Moderator

Nor for us either, ya loser. There's the door, buddy. Why not follow up on what you say now and just don't even come back.
    There's one example.

Test5150
    I'd kinda like the answers to these questions myself....

Originally posted by CHRIS:

Today, I feel like my friend was attacked and hurt on purpose.

Why?

Because she feels differently about Brad then some linkers.

Why is that a crime?

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Next Example:

Posted by MikeL: Moderator

I find it disingenuous when two people come in pimping their site, and contuniually bump it up every few days, all the while denying their intentions.

Chelle, if your panties are in a bunch that's your problem. Take a day or two off and try fixing that.
    [ February 03, 2002 at 08:57 PM: Message edited by: CHRIS ]</p>

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Example three:

Originally posted by jdogg5150:
    Brad and his merry little band of kiss asses just need to go the fuck away. The PD is ruined, don't try ruining this one too.
    Posted in response by Top Timmy: Moderator/Admin.

Either they will leave on their own or we will make them leave.

Ever wonder what the VH3 tour backstage passes had 3 blind mice on them...hmmmmmmmmm

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

That ain't nuthin', Chris. Do just a little looking and you'll find that I've said much worse things to much better people.

I am not restricted in what I say on this site, nor am I restricted in whom I say it to. No one is, except for those who become continually abusive or present other problems. The code of conduct is no different for moderators than it is for other users.

You're right, there has been a huge backlash against certain people in the past week. Feelings were probably hurt. I can't say that any of that was completely unpredictable, however. There's an incredible amount of anger and frustration in the fan base.

Here's what it comes down to for me: it's not where you used to post that matters, it's what you post. The opinions a person chooses to express exposes them to agreement, indifference, or disagreement. If people choose to defend Brad, they'll be criticised. People would love to direct that anger to Brad directly, but Brad isn't exposing himself to that here. There's nothing unusual about heated discussions becoming personal. When a person makes the choice to expose themselves to this we can't always stop it. We can close threads, make statements, or sometimes even participate ourselves. We're human, and fallible.

I can't speak for Cabo. I don't know the context you're pulling that quote from. I can speak to the sentiment he's expressing, though. A person cannot expect to be protected from any and all forms of criticism here. If you state something unpopular, you'll probably get a negative response. To my mind, if you don't want a negative response, don't expose yourself. Simple as that.

This has been a trying week for Van Halen fans. There is but one person to blame for that. Lot's of people are hurting because of that person, indirectly or directly.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by Glenn:
    </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CHRIS:
    Here is my opinion;

This suggests that there are moderators here who are loose cannons. Or who are calling the shots. Who are you referring to?

One of the best things about this place is that the moderators aren't asked to follow the leader blindly. I've NEVER had Brett (or Goo or Tim, Brett's right hand men) tell me how to moderate, one way or the other. I interpret that to mean that he has respect for my judgement, not that he has let his site get out of hand.

In the time since the PD has been closed, I've been told by a PD mod that they wished they could moderate there the way we do here. Then again, maybe that particular PD mod is just a loose cannon.

Anyway, I'd seriously like to know who this (or these) Links moderators are that you believe to be loose cannons.
    </font>[/QUOTE]The point I was trying to make, is Brett should determine what kind of board he wants. Not the moderators. He claims he wants one that is inclusive not exclusive. If that is the case, I don't see moderators in many cases pulling the rope in the same direction he claims to be going in. I have been told privately and publicly that moderators from time to time are speaking their minds and not necessarily on behalf of Brett and the board.

Fair enough.

Unfortunately they seem to also be moderating on behalf of themselves and their own views and not the board.

That should change, otherwise I question whether this is not just a rudderless ship, heading in no particular direction.

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Originally posted by MikeL:
    That ain't nuthin', Chris. Do just a little looking and you'll find that I've said much worse things to much better people.

I am not restricted in what I say on this site, nor am I restricted in whom I say it to. No one is, except for those who become continually abusive or present other problems. The code of conduct is no different for moderators than it is for other users.

You're right, there has been a huge backlash against certain people in the past week. Feelings were probably hurt. I can't say that any of that was completely unpredictable, however. There's an incredible amount of anger and frustration in the fan base.

Here's what it comes down to for me: it's not where you used to post that matters, it's what you post. The opinions a person chooses to express exposes them to agreement, indifference, or disagreement. If people choose to defend Brad, they'll be criticised. People would love to direct that anger to Brad directly, but Brad isn't exposing himself to that here. There's nothing unusual about heated discussions becoming personal. When a person makes the choice to expose themselves to this we can't always stop it. We can close threads, make statements, or sometimes even participate ourselves. We're human, and fallible.

I can't speak for Cabo. I don't know the context you're pulling that quote from. I can speak to the sentiment he's expressing, though. A person cannot expect to be protected from any and all forms of criticism here. If you state something unpopular, you'll probably get a negative response. To my mind, if you don't want a negative response, don't expose yourself. Simple as that.

This has been a trying week for Van Halen fans. There is but one person to blame for that. Lot's of people are hurting because of that person, indirectly or directly.
    Well Mike, I was asked to give examples and I gave them. I suppose in the world I come from, there is a difference between debating and attemping to hurt someone. Perhaps this is just not the place for me. I don't try and don't want to hurt people to win an arguement. So with that, I will bid my farewells, wish all of you best of luck. No hard feelings, I made my point, you guys made yours and hopefully we will see Van Halen rise again in 2002.

All the best!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.13.17 @ 04:56 PM
    Liked 11,559 Times in 4,925 Posts

Chris,

Unlike what goes on at the PD, I don't set up limits and guidelines for my moderators, and you know what, it has worked just fine for over 2 1/2 years. So we must be doing something right.

I am not interested in anything that goes on at other boards, or how ANYTHING is dealt with at other places. Basically, I am getting tired of the slams of my moderators.

If anything, the rest of the VH internet message board world should take a lesson from them on how to act as modeartors, they are the cream of the crop in my book, which is why I they are moderators here. I don't blindly select people as moderators, these are people who have earned it.

The PD was run terribly, and I have no problem saying it, because it is pretty obvious to everyone it was, that's why it's gone now. Was it the moderators fault? Partially. Was it Brad's fault? Partially as well. If you don't like how we do things here, there are other alternatives out there. We are a Van Halen FAN site, not the official board, we owe nothing to the band, they certainly haven't paid $.01 to keep this site running, so they will hardly dictate how it will be run.

I am proud of what we have here, very proud. We have an incredible core of users, we have great moderators and we have some great discussions. If you expect me to defend Brad Starks and the PD, it will not happen. What happened last week was an embarrassment, and I WILL NOT support that.

I blame Brad 100% for what became of this board last week. The mess that was created was because of his actions, and his actions alone. If you want to defend him for whatever reason here, feel free. If you think I'm going to stop the negativity because Brad is your buddy, forget about it.

We're moving on from last week. Funny how in some strange way you are attempting to turn last week's debacle into OUR fault. Give me a break Chris. I don't care to debate this topic much further, you can have your final say, then I'm closing this thread down.

BTW, I have had SEVERAL emails and PM's complementing the moderating staff here, and a couple are from former PD mods themselves! Also several PD members have praised the board, and our continued openness. So whatever bro.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Brett,

You are 100% correct. It is your board, operate it the way you want.

I was talking about today by the way, not last week.

Best of Luck

Chris

[ February 03, 2002 at 10:09 PM: Message edited by: CHRIS ]</p>

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright CHRIS, you've had your say. Brett no longer cares to hear from you. I'm closing this thread. [img]graemlins/sleep.gif[/img]
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.11.17 @ 05:34 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    Just quickly reopening here -

Chris, what is this particular incident your reffering to today? If its the one I think it is it was dealt with quickly, quietly and without any major fuss. Just because we don't make a big song and dance outta a situation doesnt mean it's not being taken care of. Please drop me a line at goo@vhlinks.com and just clarify exactly what your talking about.

Drop me a line and clarify exactly what the hurtful incident that your freind endured was, and I'll see if its the one I'm thinking of..

Locking back up.

[ February 03, 2002 at 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Goo ]

A little zen....... Headed your way.......