Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.13.15 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Just wanted to say that the recent posts by Van Gully and EruptionMan at the Dome advising people there about this site were rather successful. I think the main site redesign has people thinking. So, when this place gets converted to the new look, there should be an uptick.

Since I'm a greenhorn here, I thought I'd throw out some ideas to the mods and fat cats over here on how to perhaps recruit PD members and make such migrations easier.
    I'm sure you've had these thoughts and perhaps better ones - so forgive me if these are lame!

- Continue posts at the Dome a la Van Gully and EruptionMan. Tactfully timed new posts re: VHLinks...no need for a blitzkrieg.

- One of the things about the Dome is that I know all the "characters" over there. If there was some sort of way to speed that process up over here, it might help. I know we all have profiles, but perhaps there's another way to communicate this...I can't think of a way.

- I did a post about "Pledging Allegiance" which was/is kind of a gag at the Dome, but people have liked it a lot...Something akin to this may inspire some feeling of "belonging"

- Testimonials [damn that sounds queer] from new Linkers at the Dome might encourage others.

- Perhaps Brett could do a master post here which encourages Linkers [is the term "linkers" ok?] to frequently refer to the links now-and-again in posts at the Dome..i.e., go over there on a regular basis and respond to EXISTING threads and include a reference to VHLinks/VHForums. I think this is done individually, but perhaps marching orders from Brett might increase such efforts.

I will add to this if I think of others.
    Thanks a bunch.

[This message has been edited by Dicken's Cider (edited March 02, 2001 at 09:29 AM).]

Favorite VH Album

Halen 1
    Favorite VH Song

I'm the one
    Last Online

12.15.17 @ 10:48 AM
    Liked 257 Times in 92 Posts

Donor

The term "linkers" is fine.

Your enthusiasm is totally cool. Glad you seem to be enjoying it over here. If the grass is greener to you, that is music to my ears...means we are doing something right.

I dont think recruitment from the Dome necessary though. If people find out about us and check it out and feel that they could have a good time here thats great. I dont think I would be comfortable going over there to try to kidnap users just to increase our member count. The quality of discussion over here is fantastic. The current members, yourself included, are great and I think we get along pretty well on discussions that are going on right now. A "war of the boards" is not what anybody wants I dont think, and thats not how we want to incorperate newbies. WE WANT THE NEWBIES THAT CAN SEE WITH THEIR OWN EYES AND MAKE UP THEIR OWN MINDS ON WHERE THEY WANT TO POST AFTER A WELL THOUGHT OUT EVALUATION OF DISCUSSION BOARDS (like you did). THAT is who the links would like to have join the fun over here, not everybody.

This is all just my opinion anyways, not saying its right. I'm not going to speak for anybody else and Brett or Tim or Goo or the other mods might feel differently. But I say let it all be and see what happens without wartime tactics.

------------------
    sheepa latta peepah dabba looka foh a moopy

Look at that Mama, she got it sstick'n in the camera maan- (I wish I had some)

Last Online

03.03.15 @ 08:31 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Donor

Thanks for the thoughts, DC. We do tend to be a little passive about getting people over here from the PD. A lot of that is that we just don't like to blow our own horn too much.

We've been tossing around some ideas on how to make the Links even better. An expanded profile is one of those that's getting bounced around. In the meantime, here's some threads you might want to take a quick look at:

Names http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000645.html

Pictures http://www.vhforums.com/vhlforum/For...ML/000250.html

Those'll get you started!

Little Dreamer
    Last Online

08.13.15 @ 12:21 PM
    Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

MikeL & seenbad,
    Thanks fellers!

I certainly don't mean to suggest "wartime tactics" or anything such as that!
    Just thinking that if it's the case now that new people online will (most likely) go over there first, then a little PR every now and then might get 'em to swing by here.
    These are just some thoughts on how to do it periodically -- not all at once, that's for sure.

Alex once said (not an extremely original comment, but still good), "You've gotta drive a Volkswagon to appreciate a Porche."
    In some way that seems to apply here!

I am going to check out those links, MikeL!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 02:48 PM
    Liked 11,592 Times in 4,941 Posts

Dicken's Cider - Glad you made your way over here! We have a great core group of users here that have stayed with us even when the PD opened, but yes I agree there are many people that never did know about this place, and we've been here since September of 1999 when the site was launched. I am glad that some of the PD members are finding this place and that the re-design is helping in that.

I'm not the kind of person that gives orders like that, telling you to beat people over the head. I'm not real comfortable in actively trying to steal posters from PD, hell many of them (including the mods) were people who posted here for years. It's very cool to see such positive and encouraging about us at the PD, and I do hope that some people make the trek over here, like some already have.

------------------
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The main reason I haven't posted more over here is technical problems--when trying to get into a thread, it took my work PC several minutes to get in as opposed to seconds now (other boards didn't have that problem). You could understand the frustration & impatience, so that's why I got a high number over at the Dome.

Now I still have frustration & impatience, but it's channeled in another direction. Besides all the FNGs (fuckin' new guys) over there who don't take the time to browse through other threads to answer their FAQs before repeating themselves and clogging up everything (catching my breath now), it's just a waste of time for me to go through several pages of TFM and find almost nothing worthwhile. Some people just don't have a sense of humor, or a godawful one.

Have I posted stupid shit? Absolutely; depends on the mood I'm in.

But the people over here are much more well thought out (even if you disagree with their viewpoint). Obviously there's not as many here at any one time, but that's not necessarily bad, either. Helps keep the riff-raff with nothing substantial to say away from here.

I'm not gonna get into problems with Mods or the way the Dome is run--other people have griped about that already, and I only speak for myself!

Just wanted to give another FNG's perspective

------------------
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

This board wasn't loading fast for you, but it is now right???

Most of the riff-raffs that used to come here, now frequent the PD, I have no problem with that.

------------------
    Webmaster

Eruption
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, it's been working fine now since I became more active here!

------------------
    LIGHT 'EM UP!!

Smoke 'em if you got 'em!

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

Cool.

------------------
    Webmaster

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

DC you don't have to do much. The way Vince treats the members, they may not have many people left over there. The way he tells people to go elsewhere makes me sick. He wouldn't be a member let alone a moderator for long if I was Ed.

------------------
    DAVE IS THE SINGER!!!

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It really is a shame that Vince feels the need to tell people where they should or should not post. His holier than thou attitude isn't going anywhere with the members of PD and it's starting to show.

Anywho...

Enjoy your stay here! I'll tell you that you can post anywhere you want to.

------------------
    VHLinks.com Graphics Dude
    VHForums.com "This is home, the only one I know" BFFF

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Thanks for the welcome Top. Glad to be here.