Follow us on...
Follow us on Twitter Follow us on Facebook Watch us on YouTube
Register
    Good Enough
    Last Online

08.17.07 @ 05:09 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've been reading posts from over the weekend, and it would appear that some people, in a need to personally attack specific others, have adopted additional identities on the board. It is a cowardly thing to do, but people do it. I guess it's out of an immature need to belittle someone or perhaps to make it appear that there are others "out there" who harbor the same hatred as they do for someone.

A way to help minimize this would be if you were to enable the board to display the ISP/IP of each poster when they log on.

I know there are ways around that, but for the most part, in other boards I've been involved with, when the display of ISP's were made visible for everyone to see (as opposed to just the mods), the petty, nasty, underhanded bitch fighting that goes on, is greatly reduced.

There's been a lot of targeted attacks lately, and frankly, it's tiresome and unwarranted. This might just be a way of preventing the VHForums from getting the reputations that other boards have (and where many of these camoflage cowards originated), and keeping things civil here.

Just a thought.
    "May you die at age 128, in bed, shot to death by a jealous lover" DLR 2002

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 05:40 PM
    Liked 11,593 Times in 4,941 Posts

LA, since we do log all the IP's, our mods are all over this and we can search every post to track down matching IP addresses, so nobody is fooling anyone here, believe me. When we catch people using multiple aliases, we deal with them accordingly, although we don't catch them all.

I agree it would be a good message to send to the typical trolls that your IP address will appear publicly in each post, but unfortunately there are so many wackos running around the internet, I don't think it's fair to subject innocent people to possibly having their computers compromised by displaying their IP addresses for the world to see.

I agree with your point totally in theory, but putting it to use could be a liability.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Favorite VH Album

Diver Down
    Favorite VH Song

All Of Them
    Last Online

02.17.12 @ 07:35 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Premium Member

Donor

Perhaps membership by approval only, might be a solution?

There are a lot of great people on all the Van Halen boards, but unfortunately there are a persistent few, who seem to be out to ruin the experience for the rest of us.
    This Member:Van Halen Fan EST. 1978

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brett, I see your concern; however, it's never presented a problem on the boards I use who DO display the ISP. Let me check with the owners of those boards and see what they foresee as potential problems in doing so. The only thing that I've noticed is a drastic drop-off in the targeted character assassinations that take place when people can post and their identity can be only be seen by a select few... One of them has been doing it for years... over three now, and maybe as many as four.

I just find that since some of the other boards aren't available... we seem to have an invasion of people who like to target and attack... they make it personal, and do it continuously, and it doesn't appear that anyone is attempting to stop them.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:06 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    LA, if you've got suspicions bout someone all you gotta do is let us know in an email or something and we'll look into it for you.

I'm kinda against the idea myself. I think it encourages troublemakers to seek out 'other means', and invites a fair bit of hostility and suspision when people jump to conclusions.

As it is now we look into it calmly, discuss the best way to deal with the situation and where possible, try to keep things low key.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Test5150
    On the surface, this is a very good idea. But do me a favor....if this is implemented, please remove all my posts first. There are just certain people around here that should NEVER have access to IP addresses. Hacking sucks.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Me Wise Magic
    Last Online

12.16.17 @ 06:06 PM
    Liked 65 Times in 36 Posts

Premium Member
    It's not gonna happen.
    A little zen....... Headed your way.......

Good Enough
    Last Online

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I see what you're saying Chelle. Tell you what though, it's never been a problem on the boards where I post and we've been doing that for three or four years.

All it did was clear out the riff raff.

Just a thought. I hear what you guys are saying about Mod's taking care of it. My opinion would be though that, it wouldn't even be an issue if that option were utilized.

I've got a techie friend working on the hacking angle right now, just out of curiosity for my own sake, not for anything here. I trust what you guys say, and what you say that you'll do. Just an observation that when I've been on other boards, and they've done this, the shit slingers and cowardly comandoes vanished.

From what I gather, about all that anyone could tell you if they traced your ISP is the city where your provider is located, and how to contact them.

[ May 21, 2002, 10:31 PM: Message edited by: LA ]

Webmaster/Graphic Artist Top Timmy's Avatar
    Favorite VH Album

Favorite VH Song

Romeo Delight
    Last Online

10.28.16 @ 08:45 PM
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

LA, it's not goign to happen no matter what. This isn't even open for discussion. We have moderators that have been doing excellent work here and are always on top of things. No worries OK. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Closing this now.
    Webmaster/Graphic Artist
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com