NEWS - Ray Davies Says A New Kinks Record Is Possible

(1/3/01, 7 a.m. ET) -- Could a new Kinks album be in the offing? According to leader Ray Davies, it's certainly within the realm of possibility. In his holiday message to the Kinks Fan Club, Davies wrote, "Had a long evening with (drummer) Mick Avory...who is still keen to do a record with the band." Davies also wrote that he and his lead guitar-playing brother Dave Davies "have been in contact and we are discussing the possibility of a Kinks record in the New Year."

Ray Davies cautions, though, that any Kinks recordings will only happen after he finishes his first-ever studio solo album. It's a project he's been working on for quite a while, and at last year's South By Southwest Music Conference he said it hasn't been an easy process. "I've made two sets of demo albums for this record, and I've rejected both of them. No, there are elements of me are good. Maybe it's...the expectation is more from me because I, I'm my own sort of worst critic, really."

Davies says that early this year he expects to pick the songs for the album from the demos he's finished.

The most recent Kinks studio album was 1993's Phobia. Last year saw the release of the two-disc BBC Sessions 1964-1977, as well as the reissue of the band's first three British releases--1964's Kinks and 1965's Kinda Kinks and The Kinks Kontroversy--all of which featured bonus tracks.

-- Bruce Simon, New York and Neal Weiss, Los Angeles