All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

12.31.69 @ 04:00 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

New Bon Jovi Due Next Fall

Band also readying twentieth-anniversary box set

Bon Jovi are set to begin tracking their eighth album and follow-up to 2000's comeback success, Crush. For the album, tentatively titled "Bounce," the band will again call on their Crush cohort Luke Ebbin to co-produce (alongside singer Jon Bon Jovi and guitarist Richie Sambora), in Los Angeles' Henson (formerly A&M) Studios and at Sanctuary, Bon Jovi's home studio in New Jersey. Thus far they've penned twenty-six songs -- among them the front-runner for leadoff single, "Everyday" -- and expect to write considerably more before the process is through (sixty tracks were written for Crush). No firm release date has been set, but Jon Bon Jovi says he's eyeing September of 2002.
    Bon Jovi also says the new album is thematically "very upbeat" -- the working title itself references, "the bouncing back of the band as well as this country" -- and a big handful of the tracks themselves are ripe with September 11th imagery. In "Another Reason to Believe," he sings, "Love lives in New York City/He got a place off of the Park/I saw him standing in the ruins/And in his hands a broken heart/It was him that was running up that stairwell/When the sky came falling down." In another new tune, "One," he sings, "That was my brother lost in the rubble/That was my sister lost in that crush/Those were our mothers/Those were our children/Those were our fathers/That was each of us/A million prayers to God above/A million tears make an ocean of one."

Not surprisingly, the events of that day marked a major turning point for Bon Jovi, something he hopes the band's new album will reflect. "People are going to finally stop and take notice of the wasted time we've spent over the last twenty years doing a whole lot of nothing," he says. "Creating movies and music and art that was somewhat disposable. If you were working on a crap movie the day that that happened, you sit back and ask, 'Is this all I'm doing with my life?'"

That notwithstanding, Bon Jovi is currently in Los Angeles filming nine episodes of Ally McBeal, where he'll be playing Ally's hunky construction worker beau, Victor Morrison. The band will record around his schedule until filming wraps in February, at which point they'll convene at Sanctuary for more intense sessions.

Musically, the band hopes to further explore certain technological toys -- loops, beats -- it first tinkered with on Crush, but not at the expense of an organic rock sound. "We're playing a little bit more with that stuff on this record," Bon Jovi says, "but not over-exploiting it."

When they've completed their next effort, the band will get to work on an as-yet-untitled box set, celebrating twenty years of Bon Jovi (1983-2003) and, if all goes as planned, 100 million album sold worldwide. Although it's not yet known how many discs the collection will comprise, the singer says the band has "tons and tons" of unreleased material to discharge from its vaults. "I don't want to just re-release our catalogue," Bon Jovi says. "Hopefully people already have the catalogue. It's more about the cool stuff."

GREG HELLER
    (December 5, 2001)

[ December 06, 2001 at 04:19 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]</p>
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

DMB to Record in January

Matthews and Co. look may rework lost album material

The Dave Matthews Band is getting ready to begin work on the follow-up to this year's multi-platinum Everyday. The quintet will enter a San Francisco studio on January 20th, eyeing a mid-2002 release for what will be its fifth full-length album of studio material. As with Everyday, the Virginians will hop coasts for tracking, but unlike that record -- a collaboration with perennial hitmaker Glen Ballard -- they're looking to go it alone.
    "I'm not sure if we'll work with him again," Matthews said of Ballard. "I think we might just do it ourselves this time."

The band has in fact already re-enlisted the services of longtime engineer Stephen Harris. Harris is often the right-hand man of producer Steve Lillywhite, who worked with the DMB on its first three albums as well as the fabled "Summer So Far/Lillywhite Sessions," a collection of never officially released (but oft-downloaded) tracks recorded with Lillywhite in 2000 but scrapped in favor of Everyday. Despite Harris' being onboard for these upcoming DMB sessions, Lillywhite will not be involved.

During an October 14th solo set at the Groundwork Festival in Seattle, Matthews debuted one new song, apparently titled, "Where Are You Going," a tip of a big iceberg. "I think we've got a surplus now," Matthews says. "Something like twenty-five new ones."

What exactly Matthews means by "new" remains to be seen. In a recent interview given to Boston radio station WBCN, DMB bassist Stefan Lessard said that "The Summer So Far" material will be re-recorded for the forthcoming record. "We took [those songs] on the road, and we felt really good after playing them," he said. "We're planning to go back into the studio and we're gonna do it ourselves. It's gonna be those songs and some new ones. I don't know if all those songs are gonna be on there. We haven't really talked the details on it."

Discussing "The Summer So Far" in an interview this past summer, Bruce Flohr, Senior Vice President of A&R at DMB's label, RCA Records, said, "At some point, the band has every intention to put those songs out in some form or another. Down the line, the band will finish the record in the way it was intended to be finished. The songs will come out, and people will still want them."

Although no official release date has been set for the new Dave Matthews Band album, the band has already begun plotting a spring 2002 tour. Having spent the summer of 2001 on the enorma-dome circuit, the group hopes to downsize into more intimate concert surroundings next year.

GREG HELLER
    (December 4, 2001)

[ December 06, 2001 at 04:22 AM: Message edited by: FanHalen ]</p>
    ".....and Harry Potter and all of his wizard-friends went to Hell for practicing Witchcraft. The End." -Ned Flander's version of reading "Harry Potter" to Rod and Todd.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEWS - Ozzy Osbourne Says Reunion With Wylde Is A Crowd-Pleaser
    12/06/2001

(12/6/01, 10 a.m. ET) -- Although the Ozzy Osbourne/Rob Zombie Merry Mayhem tour has encountered its share of setbacks--including the postponement of 10 shows after Osbourne broke his leg in a bathroom mishap and the recent cancellation of the last two shows due to routing problems--Osbourne continues to be pleased with the proceedings. Fans, he says, are particularly happy that he's gotten back together with Zakk Wylde, who was his guitarist in the late '80s and early '90s.

Osbourne tells LAUNCH that bringing Wylde back into the band was a reaction to the fans' expressed wishes. "I listen to my fan base," he says. "I answer my Ozzy website. People were going, you know, 'Zakk's great, Ozzy's great, but Zakk and Ozzy are the greatest,' just the same way that people wanted me to go back with Black Sabbath and do a tour. If my fan base said, 'Zakk Wylde, he should never go on stage again,' I'd listen to that."

The Merry Mayhem tour--in support of Osbourne's new solo album, Down To Earth, which has been certified gold--will now end on December 23 in East Rutherford, New Jersey, at which time Osbourne and Zombie will donate ticket proceeds to the Howard Stern Relief Fund. The canceled shows are December 28 in Los Angeles and December 29 in San Diego, while a New Year's Eve date in Phoenix was canceled some time ago due to security concerns in the wake of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

-- Gary Graff, Detroit

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Unchained
    Last Online

12.12.17 @ 07:21 PM
    Liked 11,549 Times in 4,920 Posts

Ozzy breaks his leg in a bathroom mishap.....LOL...just sounds so funny to me, like it could only happen to Ozzy.
    Webmaster
    VHLinks.com - Your Van Halen Internet Resource Guide
    http://www.vhlinks.com

JamToThis.com
    Audio/Video Trading Community
    Tons of Van Halen!

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEWS - Puddle Of Mudd Off Creed Tour, Stapp/Durst Feud To Blame?
    12/06/2001

(12/6/01, 3 p.m. ET) -- Creed will not be taking Puddle Of Mudd on tour when it hits the road starting January 15. Representatives for Puddle Of Mudd cancelled the dates with no explanation given, according to a statement released by Creed's management. The statement added that the members of Creed, their fans, radio stations, and concert promoters of the upcoming shows had been excited about the addition of Puddle Of Mudd to the U.S. dates.

Before the band pulled out, Puddle Of Mudd's appearance on the tour was confirmed by both bands' booking agencies and radio stations in each tour market.

Some are speculating that Puddle Of Mudd, who is signed to Limp Bizkit frontman Fred Durst's Flawless Records, may have backed out due to Creed's feud last year with the Bizkit singer. The verbal sparring erupted in the summer of 2000 after both bands appeared at a radio festival and accused the other of egotistical behavior. At one point, Creed singer Scott Stapp even challenged Durst to a boxing match.

However, Stapp now denies that any such feud ever existed. "Was there a problem? I don't know, man. Not that I ever heard. I never had a problem with Fred Durst."

Representatives for Puddle Of Mudd could not be reached by LAUNCH for comment at press time. The band will be playing a number of dates in December.

Current Puddle Of Mudd dates (* denotes radio festival date, subject to change):

December 6 - Portland, OR - Crystal Ballroom*

December 7 - San Jose, CA - Compaq Center*

December 8 - Universal City, CA - Universal Amphitheater*

December 11 - Wichita, KS - Rita's Little Uptown*

December 12 - Omaha, NE - Sokol Auditorium*

December 13 - Chicago, IL - United Center*

December 14 - St. Louis, MO - The Pageant*

December 15 - Memphis, TN - New Daisy Theater*

December 17 - Milwaukee, WI - The Rave

December 18 - Minneapolis, MN - Quest Club

Creed Tour dates (subject to change):

January 16 - Atlanta, GA - Phillips Arena

January 18 - Birmingham, AL - Civic Center

January 19 - Bossier City, LA - Centurytel Center

January 21 - Houston, TX - Compaq Center

January 24 - New Orleans, LA - New Orleans Arena

January 25 - Dallas, TX - Reunion Arena

January 27 - Cleveland, OH - Gund Arena

January 28 - Philadelphia, PA - First Union Center

February 1 - E. Rutherford, NJ - Continental Airlines Arena

February 4 - Toronto, ON - Air Canada Centre

February 5 - Grand Rapids, MI - Van Andel Arena

February 7 - Boston, MA - Fleet Center

February 8 - Washington, D.C. - MCI Center

February 11 - Detroit, MI - Palace Of Auburn Hills

February 13 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena

February 14 - Milwaukee, WI - Bradley Center

February 16 - St. Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center

February 17 - Kansas City, MO - Kemper Arena

-- Darren Davis, New York and Neal Weiss, Los Angeles

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Joey's Final CD "Life-Affirming"

Producer talks about the making of Ramone's "Don't Worry About Me"

After the Ramones said "Adios amigos" for the final time in 1996, singer Joey Ramone wasted no time in starting the recording of what would unfortunately turn out to be his posthumous solo album, Don't Worry About Me, due out February 18th on Sanctuary Records. Ramone died April 15th of lymphatic cancer.
    "We started right after the Ramones' last show," says producer Daniel Rey, who has also worked with the Ramones themselves and White Zombie. "We cut the music pretty quickly, and then Joey just took his time on the vocals. We recorded a couple songs at a time. We did all the singing in my house. I live, like, two blocks from Joey in the Village."

Although Don't Worry About Me is a solo album, Rey says that Joey didn't stray too far from the Ramones' signature spirited three-chord punk sound. "I think some of it's a throwback to their heyday, like Road to Ruin-type stuff, and there's a few nods to other of Joey's favorite bands, like the Who, the Kinks, Slade, T. Rex. There's a song called "Venting" that's sort of classic Ramones and "Stop Thinking About It." Even [Ramone's cover of the pop standard] 'What a Wonderful World' is sort of in the classic Ramones style. It's pretty full on."

"What a Wonderful World" will be the album's first single, expected at radio in early January. Rey says that the song, which occasionally surfaced in Ramone's live show, reflected the singer's outlook. "Joey was an optimist and the song is very positive, life-affirming, and the changes are great. They're very powerful in their own soft way."

Ramone was joined on the album by bassist Andy Shernoff (the Dictators), with drumming duties shared by Frank Funaro (Cracker and Del Lords) and former bandmate Marky Ramone. The Misfits and Captain Sensible guest on other tracks, and Ramone's brother Mickey Leigh adds a vocal part to the album-closing "Don't Worry About Me."

According to Rey, Ramone was able to see the project almost all the way through to its conclusion. "It wasn't mixed but all the recording was done," he says. "Ironically, right before he got sick was when he finished the last little bit, and then I mixed it after he passed. I'm sure he thought about [death], but he also didn't dwell on it, and I think he was just trying to be positive. It wasn't anything that he talked about. That's one reason why the vocals took long, because he wanted to sing when he felt good. I was basically on call for the last year or two. Whenever Joey was up to sing, I was there."

A two-song holiday disc featuring Ramone and his brother Mickey Leigh is due out December 18th on Sanctuary. The disc consists of "Merry Christmas, I Don't Want to Fight Tonight," recorded prior to the Ramones' version, and a new track, "Couldn't Sleep Last Night."

Don't Worry About Me track listing:

What a Wonderful World
    Stop Thinking About It
    Mr. Punchy
    Maria Bartiromo
    I Got a Spirit in My House
    Venting
    Feel Like a Drug
    Searching for Something
    I Got Knocked Down (But I'll Get Up)
    Don't Worry About Me

COLIN DEVENISH
    (December 6, 2001)

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

NEWS - Mellencamp Still Smoking In The Wake Of Harrison's Death
    12/06/2001

(12/6/01, 5 p.m. ET) -- George Harrison, who knew how bad smoking was for him, died from cancer last week, but that doesn't mean the anti-smoking message has sunk in with everyone. John Mellencamp, who is no stranger to tobacco-related illness, is still smoking, and he says he can't do anything about it.

The topic came up earlier this week backstage at the Billboard Music Awards, where Mellencamp was given the magazine's Century Award. Harrison was the first artist to receive the award in 1992. Mellencamp was asked for thoughts on Harrison's death, and he said, "This smoking is bulls--t, isn't it? I hate it," he said with a laugh. "I'd like to quit tonight, but, you know, I'm weak. What do you want me to say?"

-- Bruce Simon, New York and Neal Weiss, Los Angeles

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

JUDAS PRIEST are scheduled to be the special guests on this week’s VH1 Rock Show, hosted by ANTHRAX’s Scott Ian, which airs Friday night/Saturday morning at 12:00 AM EST.

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FOO FIGHTERS will appear on The Late Show with David Letterman on Thursday, January 10th

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

According to former DOKKEN bassist Jeff Pilson, his current collaboration with ex-DOKKEN bandmate George Lynch on a brand new, as-yet-unnamed project “has been going so wonderful, I think we're both pleasantly surprised. We started working last week, and very quickly, things fell into that magic place we used to get to. It suddenly makes me remember the chemistry we've always had, and I say to myself, ‘Wow, we really do have something together, maybe there are good reasons why we sold millions of records!’ Something just happens while we're working, and the music goes up several notches and the intensity becomes all-consuming. Wait ‘till you hear this. The music is very heavy and groove-oriented [that part reminds me of a 2002 version of vintage LYNCH MOB], but it's soulfully melodic. This first song we're doing even has a huge ending that reminds me of the BEATLES, or ‘Still Of the Night’ by WHITESNAKE—it's so cool! And you won't believe George's playing- it's giving me goosebumps again—every note! I'll tell you, no one makes a guitar speak the way he does when he's locked in. And the grooves, they just kill [thanx to Tommy the groove master!] Don't wanna give too much away, or speak too soon, but I really think this will truly be our finest work to date.” Pilson also addressed the recent comments made by DOKKEN mainman about the bassist that were of a less-than-complimentary nature, stating simply that “I know Don has said a lot of derogatory things about me lately, and has posted quite a few negative sounding things, but I don't think we have to respond with negativity. It's only natural, in these situations, that people say things like that. But it just seems unnecessary to respond in a way that promotes antagonism. I really appreciate all the support, but let's remember this is just music. Look on the positive side of things. I'm happier than I've ever been right now. LOTS of great new music coming out [including, I'm sure, the DOKKEN record], and if the split with the band hadn't happened, I'm sure George and I wouldn't have taken this opportunity to record yet. And that's going to be the sweet icing on this rokken cake! So let's all lighten up, have some fun, and please have the best of holidays and a wonderful new year!”

Favorite VH Album

VH 1
    Favorite VH Song

On Fire
    Last Online

08.27.15 @ 02:07 AM
    Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

Donor

I'm somewhat anxious to hear this Pilson / Lynch union again. I know the last Lynch Mob album was utter trash!! It was like he was trying to do some sort of Limp Bizkit type thing...it just didn't work.

Lynch is a HUGE man though. I'd never tell him his musical efforts suck to his face. If I tried something like that, there'd be a bunch of Canned Cabo Kid all over the place!
    "Once the final BAN has been completed I will ban myself." -OLO, March 21, 2002
    "The price of the steak sandwich over there is ridiculous!!" -Glenn, March 3, 2003
    "Hang on, I'll go ask everybody and be right back." -seenbad, March 11, 2003

Sinner's Swing!
    Favorite VH Album

All Dave
    Favorite VH Song

"dirtymovies"
    Last Online

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Interesting tidbit regarding George.....

I met him at a local guitar-store when Dokken was doing the reunion tour a few years ago with Bon Jovi headlining. Besides George being a muscle-head now, he's got a huge ego to boot. He was bad-mouthing Bon Jovi left and right. He was complaining about all of the touring stipulations Bon Jovi allowed them to have and all. I've always heard that BJ were always gracious to their opening bands. It sounded like George was just being a bitch about his current situation.

Favorite VH Album

Fair Warning
    Favorite VH Song

Hear About It Later, Atomic Pu
    Last Online

07.20.17 @ 03:43 PM
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Any "Van Halen on TV" updates?